Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes??? The best ones to get

Any input on the best pads for the gxp on the front thanks guys
Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you want? Dustless, you get crappy ceramics that fade. Real race pads eat rotors like crazy. Used Hawk HPS not the PLUS ones on my Z06. Sucked my eyeballs out with 60 buck rotors, ss brake lines and Dot 4 synthetic prestone brake fluid at speeds and cornering the GXP could never attain... My car stopped better than my buddies stock brakes C6Z.. planning on similar for my GXP this summer.A little overkill maybe but it should stop the way on want her to for around $400 total. Pads are close to toast.. My .02 cents.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

I used Raybestos rotors and ceramics last year and I hate the rotors. Once they were on for a week or two they started squealing madly. Not just after a rain, all the time, more so in warmer temps. I have changed out the hardware, rebuilt the moving areas with new parts/grease, changed the pads out to GM factory, the squeal remains. I'm just going to grin and bear it for another year and replace the rotors again. I have use RB stuff on other cars, this is the first instance of stuff like this happening. Won't use em again on this car, that's for sure.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

I've been plenty happy with Brakemotive, especially for the price.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The_Madcat
I used Raybestos rotors and ceramics last year and I hate the rotors. Once they were on for a week or two they started squealing madly. Not just after a rain, all the time, more so in warmer temps. I have changed out the hardware, rebuilt the moving areas with new parts/grease, changed the pads out to GM factory, the squeal remains. I'm just going to grin and bear it for another year and replace the rotors again. I have use RB stuff on other cars, this is the first instance of stuff like this happening. Won't use em again on this car, that's for sure.
I'm sure you didn't use reybestos Advanced Technology rotors that look identical to the factory GXP rotors. They are amazing. Sqeeling is something else.

Last edited by need4z; 05-01-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have brembo rotors they are awesome just need some new pads on the front probably gonna go with brakemotive or ebc
Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Launching!

You ask then decide on your own. Whatever , there is nothing better than Hawk HPS if dust isn't a concern for the $$. I have owned a real sports car and raced it on a road course with Hawk HPS pads at 150+ mph. Amazing bite from start to finish with minimal fade with budget rotors. No warpage. Whats your plans for your car? Looks? Your engine bay is pretty shiny and painty. Nice
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by need4z
I'm sure you didn't use reybestos Advanced Technology rotors that look identical to the factory GXP rotors. They are amazing. Sqeeling is something else.

Yes, they are the adv tech rotors. I don't skimp on my GXP. Yes, identical look to factory, hideously irritating squeal followed. Garbage. These things literally rust when clouds approach. I didn't want to believe it either but after rebuilding everything but the calipers, and changing the pads twice, this is the only remaining constant. I would put a weeks salary on these being the culprit. Never again and would not recommend for this car.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Yes, they are the adv tech rotors. I don't skimp on my GXP. Yes, identical look to factory, hideously irritating squeal followed. Garbage. These things literally rust when clouds approach. I didn't want to believe it either but after rebuilding everything but the calipers, and changing the pads twice, this is the only remaining constant. I would put a weeks salary on these being the culprit. Never again and would not recommend for this car.
Must have been a bad batch.They have a special rust proof coating. Theres something else causing that... We will never know. Mine never rusted, stopped on a dime time after time. Oh well guess I'm in for a whole heap of trouble when I get my new AT rotors.

How many miles on ur car? Could of been ur calipers. What brake pads man?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

I have 90k on it. Yeah, the description on the rotors stated no rust, they were rusted over the day after I put em on. Was fairly pissed. Not sure what the coating would be or why the coating would not be worn off by using the brakes. No issues stopping, they do work and work well. But they rust like they are sitting in a tub of coca cola, and I used the ceramic RB pads initially, then went to semi-metallic OEM's. Those did not make a difference. I have been through the calipers 3-4x looking for anything I missed and I can assure you those are fine. Lesson learned though.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 90k on it. Yeah, the description on the rotors stated no rust, they were rusted over the day after I put em on. Was fairly pissed. Not sure what the coating would be or why the coating would not be worn off by using the brakes. No issues stopping, they do work and work well. But they rust like they are sitting in a tub of coca cola, and I used the ceramic RB pads initially, then went to semi-metallic OEM's. Those did not make a difference. I have been through the calipers 3-4x looking for anything I missed and I can assure you those are fine. Lesson learned though.
Have you tried swapping driver and passenger rotor.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Hey crap happens.. He's in the minority. Fluke bad luck somewhere. I know what thats like. lol.. not fun
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by need4z
You ask then decide on your own. Whatever , there is nothing better than Hawk HPS if dust isn't a concern for the $$. I have owned a real sports car and raced it on a road course with Hawk HPS pads at 150+ mph. Amazing bite from start to finish with minimal fade with budget rotors. No warpage. Whats your plans for your car? Looks? Your engine bay is pretty shiny and painty. Nice
Well Thanks for the complement i am always going for looks and also performance i have a cartuning turbo in the process ill look into the hawk pads thanks again bud!!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Launching!

No problem.... we're all friends here.. ahem.... LOL
Old 05-02-2014, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

AutoZone duralast rotors and cmax pads all around i bought thing here and there to get my points but was like 300 all together, 86k on my gxp. I put new pins were needed, And greased them good. Rock auto had great prices on hardware. No squeaks no squeaks no warp. quite a bit of hard use and 2 months now, i painted my caliper mounts black and the rotors i did black too. it looks awesome. Any rotor is going to rust on the pad surface..

Maybe your pads little tabs that slide in the caliper are kinda tight...mine were and i had to grind some material off each onetill it slid better. I felt they would probably drag if i didn't.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tirerack has ceramic Brembo pads for the gxp now. I just ordered them not to long ago

Quick Reply: brakes??? The best ones to get