LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP bone jarring ride over small bumps..Struts shot??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GXP bone jarring ride over small bumps..Struts shot??

850000 miles.. Just put new GM GXP wheels and new Falken Azenis factory sized rubber on all four corners. The HD GXP bilsteins are yellow right? I see no leaks, the car isn't bouncy.. rides great on new roads but if you go over a 1 inch ridge or bump it feels like the car road over a 1 foot pothole and rattles your whole body. It's crazy extreme honest. My 2003 Z06 rode like an old floaty caddy compared to the GXP. The car springs don't sag. Front end was all checked when alignment was done. Wheel bearings were totally cooked and replaced.. left side was seized so bad it took 2 hours to get out... Bilsteins $$$$$$$.. oh and the front brake pads are starting to squeal... sigh.... yep its all going for a ***** all at once.. other than that, the car is running great! LOL opinions welcome guys.

Thanks

Derek

Last edited by need4z; 06-03-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Hmm.. I guess no suspension experts around..
Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Worn out LCA bushings and or cover tightening the horizontal bushing can cause binding on suspension stroke. . But all bilsteins for us are yellow comfort oem and HD models. Its really hard to pinpoint your exact issue with out having the strut off to compress manually
Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a strut was blown you would have a wheel bouncing up and down out of control over bumps, have someone follow you while you hit some bumps it's unlikely the problem your probably hitting big holes@speed :p
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sint3k
If a strut was blown you would have a wheel bouncing up and down out of control over bumps, have someone follow you while you hit some bumps it's unlikely the problem your probably hitting big holes@speed :p
LOL.. actually not.. most of the jarring bumps were gone over at 30-35 mph.. Its feels like Fred Flintstones cars suspension. haha.. actually with the road salt and sand up here in the winters.. this car endured 6 Winnipeg winters, I noticed when doing oil and trans work underneath, the lower control arms are rusty as hell ! I'm wondering if the bushings are worn. Are the Delco problem solver complete LCA's junk? They look plastic.. 60 bucks each. Comes with ball joint and hardware.. I can imagine GM metal OEM LCA prices.. Nope. No big holes anymore.. all filled.. its been 78-90 degrees here the last week.. small bumps and 1-2 " up ridges where road repaving is being done.. i drove over the same couple ridges and small holes in my 2013 cruze and the difference was billion times better.. barely felt them..night and day difference... Lemme put it this way. the jarring is so severe in the GXP that it almost feels like you hit a tree at 30 mph.

Last edited by need4z; 06-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Went on a major GM parts website.. too bad they don't give you part numbers.. I went to the GXP section.. the LCA they had.. actually two types. One said "soft ride" and the other LCA said for "ride and handling package". Both were $ 104 per side. Is the latter the ones I would want? I didn't know there was a soft ride LCA assembly for the GXP. Thought it would be one part only.. hmmm Guess I should look under the car first... Doesn't sound like the struts as you guys have said and no where on the internet could I find rough bone jarring ride over small bumps and small road holes associated with worn struts.. Its gotta be the LCA's... These places don't give part numbers... Guess i will have to go to my local dealership, give them my VIN and get a part number that matches my factory ones.. seems the only way.. then I can just get them from the States.. prices up here are nuts mostly. Found out the Delco LCA's are offshore junk anyway..

Last edited by need4z; 06-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like struts to me, i just replaced my front ones tonight. not every time but most time i would get a hard bottoming out hit
Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Test your struts first. Go to each corner and bounce the car up and down, when you stop, if it keeps bouncing then yeah, struts are probably worn. They should not bounce more than 1 time in each direction till they find the center point and stop. I am betting you are experiencing what I was, I replaced the sway bar ends and bushings along with the lower control arms with new bushings and ball joints. Did the sway ends and bushings along with trailing arms in the back. Rides great now but your issues sound familiar
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all your opinions guys.. I'm just doing the less expensive stuff first. Car doesn't bounce, but a couple GM master mechanics said the bilstiens can be seized.. they have seen that before.. super stiff when I push on front fenders.Going to do sway bar bushings and end links followed by new GM LCA's. If that doesn't fix the issue then the big $$$ for the bilsteins... day by day. Just front suspension work for now.. I have put enough $$$ into this car. Its not my old Z06 vette. Don't wanna spend a ton, but repair money goes ahead of hp mods. All Im doing is airbox, TBS, 3" dp and a LEW tune.. thats it. After the suspension is fixed.

Cheers!

D
Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by need4z
Thanks for all your opinions guys.. I'm just doing the less expensive stuff first. Car doesn't bounce, but a couple GM master mechanics said the bilstiens can be seized.. they have seen that before.. super stiff when I push on front fenders.Going to do sway bar bushings and end links followed by new GM LCA's. If that doesn't fix the issue then the big $$$ for the bilsteins... day by day. Just front suspension work for now.. I have put enough $$$ into this car. Its not my old Z06 vette. Don't wanna spend a ton, but repair money goes ahead of hp mods. All Im doing is airbox, TBS, 3" dp and a LEW tune.. thats it. After the suspension is fixed.

Cheers!

D
get the Moog ones they have a high speed ball bearing setup now for the lcas that is super durable. Also the if you have the HD bilsteins they can be taken apart if they can't work I'll buy them off u
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
get the Moog ones they have a high speed ball bearing setup now for the lcas that is super durable. Also the if you have the HD bilsteins they can be taken apart if they can't work I'll buy them off u
Yeah sure... when I get to that point in what's causing the problem I will let you know. Sometime in July.. Too busy and mentally not into working on that thing right now. haha

D
Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

i went with the monroe sensatrac strut, yes i know it wont handle the way the car was intended, but we dont drive it that aggressive, for the money so far i love em, ride way smoother, but dont get me wrong without a doubt it does not stay planted to the ground like the bilstens did, it has more of a floating ride comfort feel. but for the money and most likely only keeping the car for a few more years(?) it was worth it =, dont forget to replace the strout mounts also.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ghetto joe
i went with the monroe sensatrac strut, yes i know it wont handle the way the car was intended, but we dont drive it that aggressive, for the money so far i love em, ride way smoother, but dont get me wrong without a doubt it does not stay planted to the ground like the bilstens did, it has more of a floating ride comfort feel. but for the money and most likely only keeping the car for a few more years(?) it was worth it =, dont forget to replace the strout mounts also.
Found out on my car with my VIN, the munroe's need a $400 adapter kit to bolt them into my car. I will just get front bilsteins if need be... glad you like your munroes.. best price I found on the HD bilsteins was $298 each for the fronts.

D
Old 06-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Found out on my car with my VIN, the munroe's need a $400 adapter kit to bolt them into my car. I will just get front bilsteins if need be... glad you like your munroes.. best price I found on the HD bilsteins was $298 each for the fronts.

D
All you need is MONROE Part # 72177. And of course its always nice to get new mounts (strut mounts are not Gxp specific )
Old 06-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
All you need is MONROE Part # 72177. And of course its always nice to get new mounts (strut mounts are not Gxp specific )
So these bolt right in with nothing else just like the OEM bil's? I'm guessing the ride is a lot more cushy? You mean the rubber mounts up top when u open the hood with the 3 nuts attached at the strut tower correct? Yeah mine are toast.. Only $72 each for the sensa-tracs. Beats $300..

Thanks
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Stupid question cause the only thing I have never done is replace struts. Does any brand strut mount work with any brand strut? I hate to ask newb questions with my mechanical/hot rodding experience of 25 years... blah.. lol I have replaced strut cartridges in late 90's lumina cars but not struts.. replaced shocks a 100 times..
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 AM

Stupid question cause the only thing I have never done is replace struts. Does any brand strut mount work with any brand strut? I hate to ask newb questions with my mechanical/hot rodding experience of 25 years... blah.. lol I have replaced strut cartridges in late 90's lumina cars but not struts.. replaced shocks a 100 times..
Its all good get the Monroe strut mounts from Autozone.

Here's a link if you plan on diy yourself. Which can be done with put airtools if you know what you're doing.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=4859035
Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default bilsteins front

i tried to get bilsteins front struts and everyone saying they discontinued,anyone have any info on where to get them i got rears at eshocks for 314 for both not bad beat amazon and ebay by 50 dollars but cant seem to find fronts called thyesen in n.c,they said no more so....
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Gm # 15245596 $ 304 from GMParts Direct I think. Front HD bilsteins. There are tons available. How much you want to pay for them?? Search GM parts with that number and find the lowest price, order. Simple

Last edited by need4z; 06-16-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seen these on Rockauto

ACDELCO Part # 505549 {#15236084, 25853345} GM Original Equipment Rear; Special Susp(FE4) $197.79

ACDELCO Part # 505548 {#15245596} GM Original Equipment Front; SPECIAL SUSP(FE4) $266.79

Quick Reply: GXP bone jarring ride over small bumps..Struts shot??