LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Turbocharging VS LS4 Swap on '06 Monte Carlo 3.9?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharging VS LS4 Swap on '06 Monte Carlo 3.9?

Whats up yall I'm new here. I just picked up a nice blue 2006 Monte 3.9 LT a few weeks ago. After doing LOTS of research, the engine has little to 0 aftermarket support. Which I think is crazy because its a V6 with nearly 250 HP stock without forced induction. I found a shop called Speed Mafia that make a turbo kit for this engine, they can also tune and install for around 5K. I kind of considered doing an LS4 swap if turbocharging going to cost that much, and I just love the LS4 (Cousin had a red '07 MC SS, my mother's friend had an maroon '08 Impala SS). I imagine the cars themselves are pretty similar, What do you think?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly I would just sell it and buy an ls4 Monte. Seems much more cost effective.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, seems like an unhelpful answer but that probably is the most cost effective. The LS4 doesn't have a huge aftermarket either but it is still bigger than the 3.9 if you wanted to do more with it. Plus, I know the 3.9 sounds pretty good but it'll never sound as good as the LS4!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if u could do the work yourself i could see it being less than the turbo kit probably around 4k if got a used dropout and a cradle pcm,ect But Turbo cars are so much fun i got a cartuning kit about to go on my 07 ss imp.. But answer would be if a nice turbo kit is made for the 3.9 and that should make u atleast 400+ whp as long as u do other supporting mods go turbo!!!!Call keving @ cartuning performance i bet he would build u a kit if he doesnt already make one
Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Honestly I would just sell it and buy an ls4 Monte. Seems much more cost effective.
That would be nice, but that's not really a option. Doing this swap will not be hard at all for me, I got a couple of guys helping me out on this. I plan on doing this by march of next year, just trynna figure all I might need besides engine, pcm and wiring.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Well if u could do the work yourself i could see it being less than the turbo kit probably around 4k if got a used dropout and a cradle pcm,ect But Turbo cars are so much fun i got a cartuning kit about to go on my 07 ss imp.. But answer would be if a nice turbo kit is made for the 3.9 and that should make u atleast 400+ whp as long as u do other supporting mods go turbo!!!!Call keving @ cartuning performance i bet he would build u a kit if he doesnt already make one
Thanks for your answer man, how are you putting down 300+ WHP without forced induction lol, what are your mods? When I drop my ls4 in, I plan on doing a cam, flowmaster super 44 mufflers, headers, tune and a cold air intake. That should get me close to where you're at.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UseAsDirected
Yeah, seems like an unhelpful answer but that probably is the most cost effective. The LS4 doesn't have a huge aftermarket either but it is still bigger than the 3.9 if you wanted to do more with it. Plus, I know the 3.9 sounds pretty good but it'll never sound as good as the LS4!
You're right, but the ls4 has 303 hp and 320+ lbs torque stock, plus the lovely sound of an chevy v8.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not worth the effort to do a swap, and I am usually a big proponent of engine swaps, having done several on various vehicles.

The turbo is a better idea, but if you really need to have a V8, then just by an LS4 car and put aside $3500 for a trans rebuild.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roblee06
Thanks for your answer man, how are you putting down 300+ WHP without forced induction lol, what are your mods? When I drop my ls4 in, I plan on doing a cam, flowmaster super 44 mufflers, headers, tune and a cold air intake. That should get me close to where you're at.
All of my mods are on my sig and to be exact she makes 312 whp 319 wtq with extensive tuning and the built trans helps out alot with the turbo kit i should be 550ish whp and the first thing beside cam and headers would a ls6 im thats well worth the money
Old 07-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

This is the research you should be doing.....

1. Leave the car alone
2. Go buy a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, etc.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:34 PM
Teching In

pimpala, I was emailing Kevin from cartunning earlier today, he can indeed make a turbokit for my car!!! It would cost $4500 which is a great price imo.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roblee06
pimpala, I was emailing Kevin from cartunning earlier today, he can indeed make a turbokit for my car!!! It would cost $4500 which is a great price imo.
Yea man that would be the way id go because u are gonna run into alot of bs doing the ls4 swap and end up with less power so get her done kevin is very good at what he does i got mine done about a month ago and my car is a Freakin animal.....
Old 09-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Yea man that would be the way id go because u are gonna run into alot of bs doing the ls4 swap and end up with less power so get her done kevin is very good at what he does i got mine done about a month ago and my car is a Freakin animal.....
that's good to hear!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Interesting; I have just been thru this decision-making process. I now have a nice, shiny, new 3.9 c/w everything in my garage, waiting to be sold. I WAS going to turbo it and follow the path that another guy (W body forum, 60*V6 etc) has done.
He has put together his own 'kit' as there is nothing plus it was a swap-into an 85 Z28. He has run 10.56 at 130+ and figures he is making over 600 hp based on a 3200 lb car. As of this past July he has over 300 runs on it and he started with a donor that already had over 30,000 miles on it!

Anyway, cut to the chase: the thing that dissuaded me was the lack of availability of a cam and the problems trying to swap-in ANY other cam due to the bearing sizes. I had to search North America to finally find the 2nd-last set of cam bearing BUSHINGS that I bought so I could put in a 'turbo' cam for a conventional 60*V6. $200 for the set. That would allow me to then install conventional SBC cam bearings (you leave one out) and then install any cam I wanted.

That, generally, means you throw away the cam phasing and in fact, pretty much anything to do with cam sensing, it's been bastardized so much.
That in turn brings you back to an old OBD1 PCM.

ORRRRRRR.... you keep everything that is on the motor, cam included, and 'simply' bolt on a turbo. The ECM I have with mine is the highly-regarded E67 that (I have to take others word for it so far) basically can do ANYthing.

The cam is made by pressing lobes onto a hollow tube which apparently is a limiting factor for regrinds, according to at least 2 cam grinders, but it can be done to at least some degree.

I decided to switch to the LS4 as I intend to use my car as a street-legal track machine, so it will run at higher rpms for extended periods of time, vs 12 seconds at a time then a rest... and I presume that the LS4 bottom end will manage that extended stress better than the smaller (altho still much improved) V6 bottom end would handle the stress of 10-14 psi on a constant basis. It's a judgement call on my part.

So just my comments for what it is worth. Feel free to ask questions; if I know I'll be happy to answer but I am not a techie, either.

GP

Edit: Oh, yeah; after some research (like a weeks worth!) I found that it isn't that hard to get an LS4 up to about 400 hp with fairly stock parts from the LSx family (and an aggressive, aftermarket cam, of course...)
Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85-308
Interesting; I have just been thru this decision-making process. I now have a nice, shiny, new 3.9 c/w everything in my garage, waiting to be sold. I WAS going to turbo it and follow the path that another guy (W body forum, 60*V6 etc) has done.
He has put together his own 'kit' as there is nothing plus it was a swap-into an 85 Z28. He has run 10.56 at 130+ and figures he is making over 600 hp based on a 3200 lb car. As of this past July he has over 300 runs on it and he started with a donor that already had over 30,000 miles on it!

Anyway, cut to the chase: the thing that dissuaded me was the lack of availability of a cam and the problems trying to swap-in ANY other cam due to the bearing sizes. I had to search North America to finally find the 2nd-last set of cam bearing BUSHINGS that I bought so I could put in a 'turbo' cam for a conventional 60*V6. $200 for the set. That would allow me to then install conventional SBC cam bearings (you leave one out) and then install any cam I wanted.

That, generally, means you throw away the cam phasing and in fact, pretty much anything to do with cam sensing, it's been bastardized so much.
That in turn brings you back to an old OBD1 PCM.

ORRRRRRR.... you keep everything that is on the motor, cam included, and 'simply' bolt on a turbo. The ECM I have with mine is the highly-regarded E67 that (I have to take others word for it so far) basically can do ANYthing.

The cam is made by pressing lobes onto a hollow tube which apparently is a limiting factor for regrinds, according to at least 2 cam grinders, but it can be done to at least some degree.

I decided to switch to the LS4 as I intend to use my car as a street-legal track machine, so it will run at higher rpms for extended periods of time, vs 12 seconds at a time then a rest... and I presume that the LS4 bottom end will manage that extended stress better than the smaller (altho still much improved) V6 bottom end would handle the stress of 10-14 psi on a constant basis. It's a judgement call on my part.

So just my comments for what it is worth. Feel free to ask questions; if I know I'll be happy to answer but I am not a techie, either.

GP

Edit: Oh, yeah; after some research (like a weeks worth!) I found that it isn't that hard to get an LS4 up to about 400 hp with fairly stock parts from the LSx family (and an aggressive, aftermarket cam, of course...)
From what I have seen the ls4 loves FI to. Though aren't trannies the weak spot for the cars the ls4 came in?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sickness7
From what I have seen the ls4 loves FI to. Though aren't trannies the weak spot for the cars the ls4 came in?
Sounds like they are. I'm not going that way; I'll be using an F40 6 spd from a G6... manual. Quite a bit of 'testing' already been done on this tranny behind a number of V8 swaps into fieros... so far, so good!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85-308
Sounds like they are. I'm not going that way; I'll be using an F40 6 spd from a G6... manual. Quite a bit of 'testing' already been done on this tranny behind a number of V8 swaps into fieros... so far, so good!
Sounds like fun. All in all I want a 3800 car again in a year or two.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging VS LS4 Swap on '06 Monte Carlo 3.9?