LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Help with hid install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with hid install!!!

I have a 2008 Buick lacrosse super and I picked up a cheap ebay hid setup. I was wondering if there was any other lacrosse owners that could tell me the secret of installing them. I've found many videos of people replacing the bulb but none of a actual hid install and with the way they did it it would give me almost zero room to maneuver the wiring and the bulb without hitting anything and I don't have the cash to be breaking anything.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Teching In

So thanks to the amazing designers over at GM i decided that this HID project will have to wait for the nicer weather so i can drop the front bumper and actually remove the light assemblies to install the lights
Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Launching!

I'm interested in this as well.
I too have a super now and have been toying with the idea of a projector retrofit.

I wanted to pull the headlights out and take a peek at them more carefully but of course they're not easily serviceable.

Let me know how your install goes!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
I'm interested in this as well.
I too have a super now and have been toying with the idea of a projector retrofit.

I wanted to pull the headlights out and take a peek at them more carefully but of course they're not easily serviceable.

Let me know how your install goes!
So i finally got around to installing the hids and it was a huge pain but fairly simple.

Take off the three bolts holding that area then you'd want to take out the annoying little pins on the grille.

Next I'd unplug the wire to the blinker.then after you should able to wiggle it around a bit and now the worst part of the install.while pulling back on the grille and front bumper pull up on the light assembly and pull it towards you at the same time(you'll most likely have to put alot of muscle into it).

Then finally here's the final results of my install.

Hope this helps!!
Old 09-26-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow I like that
Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Cool. Thanks for the how to. Any issues with the DRLS? What kind of kit did you use?
Old 09-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
Cool. Thanks for the how to. Any issues with the DRLS? What kind of kit did you use?
No issues at all. I got the sdx hid conversion kit.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Teching In

So it seems the hids cause some sort of interference with the radio and draws quite a bit of power the voltage went from around 13.5 down to 13. Any ideas? I was thinking putting in higher amp fuses might work.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hids don't draw more power than halogens do. Make sure you get some tape or something over the daylight sensor for proper hid voltage requirments
Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drunkdan
So it seems the hids cause some sort of interference with the radio and draws quite a bit of power the voltage went from around 13.5 down to 13. Any ideas? I was thinking putting in higher amp fuses might work.

Fuse has nothing to do with amp draw or lower voltage. You also risk damaging wiring by putting in a bigger fuse.

Here is an example, a crude one.

-------- This is a wire... This wire can only handle 10 amps without turning red and lighting on fire.

------=---- The = is the fuse, if this wire goes over 10 amps for any reason, they fuse will break causing a "open" which will stop the current from traveling. If you put in a 15 Amp fuse in there, then you potentially risk the wire overheating/melting/lighting on fire/ etc/etc/etc

Also our alternators use a current sensor. The computer adjust the alternators pulse width "aka activation" based on the current being drawn. The only way i see your HID's being a problem is if you used a wiring kit and went directly to the battery "Bypassing the current sensor". This would cause the current to be "unseen" by the computer, there for the computer is unable to adjust.

If you did not do any wiring to the battery, and you simply plugged the HID's into the lamp connector, then you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this all made sense.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Fuse has nothing to do with amp draw or lower voltage. You also risk damaging wiring by putting in a bigger fuse.

Here is an example, a crude one.

-------- This is a wire... This wire can only handle 10 amps without turning red and lighting on fire.

------=---- The = is the fuse, if this wire goes over 10 amps for any reason, they fuse will break causing a "open" which will stop the current from traveling. If you put in a 15 Amp fuse in there, then you potentially risk the wire overheating/melting/lighting on fire/ etc/etc/etc

Also our alternators use a current sensor. The computer adjust the alternators pulse width "aka activation" based on the current being drawn. The only way i see your HID's being a problem is if you used a wiring kit and went directly to the battery "Bypassing the current sensor". This would cause the current to be "unseen" by the computer, there for the computer is unable to adjust.

If you did not do any wiring to the battery, and you simply plugged the HID's into the lamp connector, then you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this all made sense.
Thanks yeah it does make sense, its a good thing I didn't do trial by error haha. Any thoughts about the interference? If my hids are on I'll get lots of static where usually I'll have zero, i switch them off then it goes back to normal and zero static.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drunkdan
Thanks yeah it does make sense, its a good thing I didn't do trial by error haha. Any thoughts about the interference? If my hids are on I'll get lots of static where usually I'll have zero, i switch them off then it goes back to normal and zero static.
The HIDs are super high voltage. So if you are using the stock harness to power them, I can see how this could feedback into the system with noise. I have always done HID installs with there own wiring kit. "aka" not using the factory lamp connectors and have never had an issue. So you may want to get a wiring kit that bypasses the lamp connectors and gets its power directly from the battery. If you go this route, just make sure you put the power wire through the current sensor on the battery.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the HID kit i use, it very well made "or so it seems" and I've used these in both my cadillacs without issues. But i never use the stock lamp connector. The only thing I use that for is to power the relay, that then powers the HID's

Amazon.com: Innovited AC 55W HID Xenon Conversion Kit With "Slim" ballast - 9006 - 6000K - 2 Bulbs & 2 Ballasts: Automotive Amazon.com: Innovited AC 55W HID Xenon Conversion Kit With "Slim" ballast - 9006 - 6000K - 2 Bulbs & 2 Ballasts: Automotive

Amazon.com: Innovited HID Conversion Kit Relay Wiring Harness - 9006: Automotive Amazon.com: Innovited HID Conversion Kit Relay Wiring Harness - 9006: Automotive
Old 10-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sint3k
This is the HID kit i use, it very well made "or so it seems" and I've used these in both my cadillacs without issues. But i never use the stock lamp connector. The only thing I use that for is to power the relay, that then powers the HID's

Amazon.com: Innovited AC 55W HID Xenon Conversion Kit With "Slim" ballast - 9006 - 6000K - 2 Bulbs & 2 Ballasts: Automotive

Amazon.com: Innovited HID Conversion Kit Relay Wiring Harness - 9006: Automotive
Cool i appreciate the help. I'll look into getting the wiring harness, its been driving me crazy having to turn off the lights just to listen to the radio haha.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never go bigger in fuses -a reason for that

Quick Reply: Help with hid install!!!