LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Bought a new MC-SS, started tuning already

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought a new MC-SS, started tuning already

Took advantage of the 0% financing and went ahead and got one. Victory red, ebony leather, no sunroof.

With 120 miles on it i had started the tuning process. I have HP tuner's i use for me Camaro, so i bought some credits and started tweaking the Monte.

So far i just removed the stock air box, installed a 10" long cone filter on the end of the MAF and tweaked the MAF table to reflect the air filter was reading +8 LTFT's after the filter, now its about -3 which is perfect. Played with the force motor table and reduced the #'s by 10% and that got the shift firmness pretty nice. Raised the rev limiter to 6300 from 6100, and raised the shift points to 6100 instead of 5800. and got rid of the hell forsaken torque managment

I tried turning up the wick on the timing (only about 18* at WOT) but the dealer had filled it with 87 octane so i was greeted with knock retard by 3-4 degrees consistently. So once i have a tank of 93 in it i will try it again.

But it shifts great now at WOT, almost chirps the 1-2 and never stops pulling after the shift.

I love how loose the converters are in these cars!!! its gotta be like a 2800 stall stock in these things!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

nice. i tuned mine was well with hp. we didnt get as into as u did yet though. we took out almost all torque managment. no rev limiter. shifts at 6200, nice hard shifts.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the table for the DOD stuff to, its actually under DFCO (decel fuel cut off)

Normally its disabled on other LSx cars due to it being illegal to use in the states because of an increase in NOx emissons, But the table was in place, so it looks like they used it for the DOD controls. im gonna try and bump up the settings to make it stay in 4 cyl mode longer and not switch as much. Around here we have rolling long minor hills on the free way and it constantly switching.

Right now (stock) anything above 25mph and less than 20 % throttle it will engage. So im going to bump it up to 30% once and see what it does.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Where can you buy this tuner, I mainly want to get rid of the rev limiter and torque managment. Maybe raise or firm up the shift points.

Last edited by SDfbody; 07-03-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have yet to find the way to to dump the P/N rev limiter yet though, ill have to keep searching around on the program.

www.hptuners.com
Old 07-02-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

not sure where its at but we did it to my monte. so its there somewhere
Old 07-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

WOW, this is fun stuff. 2 Questions

1. Will a mass airflow translator for an LS1 work with these cars??? I used to make A/fF ratio changes with that and autotap software by montroing LTrims.

2. Is there a 10" cone filter specifically made for our cars or did you improvise? I'd love to delet the airbox. I also may have a ported mass airflow housing for an LS1 laying around, wonder if it would work.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The MAF plug is in diff from that of a trditional LS1 car, its like the Z06 Maf style plug because it has the IAT sensor built in. If you had a Z06 MAF, it could work, i think the bellows might be too small though, but you would have to scale the maf table to make it read correctly. A MAFT would require cutting and splicing like i had to do onthe colorado. My AFR seems to be good, i used auto tap to look at the narrow band reading at WOT, and the bank 1 sensor 1 was at 900-910 which is perfect, my Camaro runs right there with a wideband, and thats about 12.8:1 AFR when comparing that to the narrow band outputs on the scanmaster at the same time.

The filter i had laying around, it was off my 04' Colorado. It has a 3" or 3.5" opening... cant remember. but i removed the air box top half, the bottom half holds the PCM and TCM. And unscrewed the maf from it and removed the O ring and clamped the filter on to the maf.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I'd love to ditch my torque management, but I really worried about blowing the tranny. I can feel tons of power reduction in shifts, and off the line it almost seems like a carburated car with a bad accellerator pump with that launch throttle cutout. Now if these things had the tranny behind the Northstar shoehorned in I would play with the TM, but with the one it has...??? Whatcha guys think about tranny life doing this?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well with firmed up shifts i think it will be OK, im gonna install an auxillary cooler soon as well.

I dont pound on the car all time so i think the trans will be fine. if it fails, the stock tune goes back in and goes to the dealer.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

i have had most of my torque managment gone for almost 3 months and i beat the **** out of my car. lol no problems yet. the car shifts hard and pulls very well
Old 07-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking along the lines of putting in a stock tune once broken ...is there any way to trace someone dinking with the tune should the dealer check?

I take it HPTuners is the tuner of choice or would some other brand be better to get? Thanks guys
Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

no dealer cant tell. if u flash it back to stock they ahve no idea. even if u leave tune in they porlly wouldnt know
Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I'm jumping on this bandwagon as I really dislike the TM on my car. I ordered the HPT package!

*tranny and cvjoints cowering in fear*

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

those goodyear rs-a's suck.. have any of you replaced them with something decent and hooked better?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carado1984
those goodyear rs-a's suck.. have any of you replaced them with something decent and hooked better?
Actually the RSA's hook hard enough to set off the torque management on these cars. If you gun it from a stop, they spin a bit, the throttle cuts out, then opens up again. I imagine if you were to put something stickier on the car you wouldnt move anywhere!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL first gear is pretty much useless pending on the pavment now.

Nice solid Laser blue car! i almost bought that identical car.

The timing tune came along nice! the car F-ing rips!! time to get this thing to the track.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
I have yet to find the way to to dump the P/N rev limiter yet though, ill have to keep searching around on the program.

www.hptuners.com
Finally found a way to get around the park neutral rev limiter earlier today. Go to Fuel Control > Fuel Cutoff,DFCO and open the P/N Modifier table. It modifies the normal cutoff based on ECT, all the values were set to 1.00. My limiter was 3500 rpm stock so I changed all the values to 1.55, ended up at about 5400-5500 rpm. Not really the "correct" way to do it. But oh well it works.

You say the DFCO tables control DOD? Im probably gonna mess around with them soon. Don't you chevy guys have a DOD activation light or something? if so can you tell if the changes you made did make a difference?

I dumped all the torque management for 1>2 and 2>3 shifts and all downshifts and increased the shift pressure. Only thing I don't get is there is no shift quickness setting. Either they have not been added or the TCM doesn't even have those tables. Checked an LS2 GTO bin and it doesn't have them either.

As far as the maf sensor goes. Like you im thinking about using a Z06 or LS2 maf. I think they are pretty much the same thing. The Stock one on these cars are pretty crappy in my opinion. I had a 2001 silverado 4.8L that had a bigger, smoother, and better designed maf than this thing. Actually have the K&N air intake from that truck, the filter part of it will bolt right up to the Z06/LS2 maf. So I will probably be using it.

Anybody else notice the horrible intake manifold? Seems it is as poorly designed as the LS2 manifold... only smaller. Plus we have a 4 bolt ~76mm throttle body... so no other manifold will bolt up as of now. Im thinking about getting an LS6 intake and getting TPIS to put a 90mm flange on it then using a LS2 throttle body and maf. All that is gonna be expensive though. Probably be a while before I can afford it.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I played with the DOD stuff yesterday. I raised the TPS to disable to 40% and the CYL/AIR to disable to .28

This keeps it in 4 cyl mode alot longer, it pulls up hills just fine it seems, the T/C locks up and it kinda pulls hard when the cruise is on a comes up toa slight hill, stay in 4 cyl mode and the mpg drops to like 20.

But it doesnt seem to keep it in too long, it takes nothing to get it over .28 cyl/air so it still lets all 8 run when its TOO big of a hill.

So far im about 230 miles to a half tank, with driving it as nice as i can for now.

Yeah i was wondering about the shift times table too! when going up through the gears, it gives a nice bump but u can tell it has the normal .5 sec delay in the shifts yet.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

we played more with mine today. the torque managment is now gone. and we firmed up the shifts a bit more.