LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Maybe torque management is a good thing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe torque management is a good thing...

Just wanted to share... Using HP Tuners I had removed all upshift torque management for the 1>2 and 2>3 shift while also bumping pressure up a good bit. It pulls through the shifts really good, but the 1>2 shift at full throttle seems drawn out and prolonged. Which is probably adding a ton of heat to the torque convertor, and I would rather not do that.

So the other day I put it back to about 60 percent of original torque management on the shifts and left the pressure adjustments like I had them. IMO the full throttle shift is alot better now. It doesn't pull there for a split second... but on the other hand it doesn't take near as long to shift. The overall acceleration is probably about the same, but now it isn't loading and heating up the torque convertor as much.

Until HP Tuners supports some way of adjusting shift quickness I will probably leave it like that.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine does fine on the 1-2 shift on motor. on bottle? it is very long and drawn out. then finally snaps into gear. hence why i don't spray between that shift. 2-3 it barks the tires.

is there a shift speed setting in there? reason i ask that because the 1-2 shift is slow regardless if on motor or bottle. but the 2-3 is damn near instant.

hmmmm.

is it possible to add the t/m to the 1-2 shift only?
maybe it's gm's way of saying "hey, stop it!!!!"
Old 08-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

When modding my SS I noticed there seemed to be a bit of slip engaging the next gear with 50% TM removed when looking over some recorded runs with the scanner. Nothing big, but noticable when comparing runs showing full TM, 33% TM removed and 50% TM removed (I didnt remove any more than 50%). I backed mine off to 33% TM removed and I was comfortable with what I was looking at. Seems that blasting the tranny with lots of power during a shift doesnt allow enough 'grab' for the gear being engaged. I am also running +10% pressure in shifts.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

well until the shift speed tables are in hp tuners you might want to look into a shift kit. I would have to say you would probably want one for an 04 and up 4t65e from a l32 motor from the gtps just to be safe. they changed some stuff from the l67 version in the 4t65e. granted i'm almost 100% positive the accumulator area for the springs was not changed at all so any year 4t65e shift kit would probably work.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
When modding my SS I noticed there seemed to be a bit of slip engaging the next gear with 50% TM removed when looking over some recorded runs with the scanner. Nothing big, but noticable when comparing runs showing full TM, 33% TM removed and 50% TM removed (I didnt remove any more than 50%). I backed mine off to 33% TM removed and I was comfortable with what I was looking at. Seems that blasting the tranny with lots of power during a shift doesnt allow enough 'grab' for the gear being engaged. I am also running +10% pressure in shifts.
Thats what im thinking. The transmission just doesn't want to grab 2nd gear worth a damn with full engine power.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Area47
mine does fine on the 1-2 shift on motor. on bottle? it is very long and drawn out. then finally snaps into gear. hence why i don't spray between that shift. 2-3 it barks the tires.

is there a shift speed setting in there? reason i ask that because the 1-2 shift is slow regardless if on motor or bottle. but the 2-3 is damn near instant.

hmmmm.

is it possible to add the t/m to the 1-2 shift only?
maybe it's gm's way of saying "hey, stop it!!!!"
At this time there are no adjustments for shift speed (quickness) for the LS2 type computers.

You can adjust TM independently for each gear change.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

hmm i dunno, i have all the torque management gone and rev limiter at 6200 and it shifts pretty quick
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Record some runs and take a look at the rpm graph once the car shifts. On mine it looked like there was maybe 100 rpm worth of slippage immediately post shift before it completely grabbed fully dropping the rpm and then resuming the upward rpm count under full throttle acceleration. Check the numbers/graphs and compare them with stock and milder TM removal setups, seemed like slippage to me when looking at that.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine bangs the 1-2 decent too with no TM. If i pound it with back to back 1-2 WOT shifts it has a light shutter through the shift sometimes. Nothing im too concerned with.
It's fine when its cool too. Maybe time for a aux cooler...

But yes there is no where near enough adjustment paramaters for tranny functions, when compared to a LS1 car's tranny table. Shift pressure to throttle pos % would be nice to have as well as slightly dropping shift times from .550m/s to .450m/s would help alot id be willing to bet, as it does on a LS1 car 4L60E.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Good idea sideways... I just need to log it and see whats going on. Still haven't done hardly any logging at all.