LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Badd - did this pipe work for you?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/547028-2-things-anyone-look-exhaust-these-cars-up-close.html
Old 11-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Hey area47 i'm not going to use the stock intake manifold or throttle body. I was thinking about sticking them on ebay to return some coin from my purchase. I'm not looking to rape anyone either was thinking 150-200 bucks for the intake and TB. Does that sound reasonable? There are a few other pieces that i'm not going to need so they might hit ebay as well. More pics to come , as soon as i get some freekin time off work !
Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Interesting observation on the extra 15 hp and torque with the truck motors. Looking at the stock tunes and the few scans I found for these two applications it seems that the truck motors are in a lower state of tune vs. the W bodies, so where are the bigger power numbers coming from? Anyone out there have a parts catalog to compare cam part numbers or know the specs between the two cams? I wonder if it is just intake and exhaust that is giving us less power or more than that?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Badd - did this pipe work for you?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547028
Hogan makes regular bolt in LS4 Off road down pipes now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/550512-pics-modified-gtp-downpipe-install.html

In this thread it shows how i took a GTP L67 DP and made it work by simply cutting the bend out and re welding it.

Seemed to help mid range slightly, but the exhaust sounds MUCH better through the stock cat back with no cat. It stinks like an old carbed car at idle... but dont bother me any... I just shut the rear o2 off and it passes all the plug in emission test pids according to the HP tuners scanner.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIEROPHREK
Hey area47 i'm not going to use the stock intake manifold or throttle body. I was thinking about sticking them on ebay to return some coin from my purchase. I'm not looking to rape anyone either was thinking 150-200 bucks for the intake and TB. Does that sound reasonable? There are a few other pieces that i'm not going to need so they might hit ebay as well. More pics to come , as soon as i get some freekin time off work !
wel gimme a parts list of stuff you're not going to use, and i will most likely buy them from ya.
i need a strock manifold to tinker with, flow numbers, blah blah blah, see what i personally can do with it. the tb? sure throw that in there too.

the x-over pipe is set up exactly like the v6 cars. im in the process of building something to get rid of this. more or less making a y-pipe setup/down pipe deal to make a smoother transition. hence more power.

which is also why i want the intake manifold to play around with. to see what i can do with it.

BTW, im selling my nitrous kit, bad thing is, i can't ship it {both bottles are still full}
Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Area47 here is a short list of the stuff i'm not gonna use.

Throttle body
Intake manifold
Power steering pump and reservoir
A/C compressor
Catalytic converter
metal heater core lines
Fuel rail and injectors

I'm sure there are a few more things but i'll figure it out later.

Sideways LS4, The truck motors might be making more power because their cylinder heads and runners are flowing air better with the smaller cam. We have the LS6 head and the truck is using the regular LS1 correct. Maybe the big runners of our heads are hurting our power production due to slow intake air velocities . If the 4 could turn some higher RPM it probably would make good power at the big end of the RPM range. This also might be affected by the intake manifold as well. The truck manifold is differant from the 4's right? Just some guesses as to why the truck motor would make more hp.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ls4 can turn higher rpms. it's limited by the valve springs, and the cam
but it's pointless due to the cam profile. hence why id love to get a hold of a ls4 short block, and stick a 02 z06 cam in it, that would be perfect. 66-6700 rpms, cam runs out at 6500.
but i really dont feel like tearing the entire front half of the motor apart to get to it.
which is why 1.85 rockers sound reallllyyyyy good right now.

slap my name on the tb and intake manifold. i guess i can dust off my porting tools and go to town and see what i can do with it.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the power difference is in the Exhaust and the cam. The Exhaust in a truck is a much less restricted design. The cam because the factory lift specs seem smaller then the regular 5.3's. Could be the tune also because of the extra torque managment they put in to deal with the weaker tranny.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richiec77
I'm pretty sure the power difference is in the Exhaust and the cam. The Exhaust in a truck is a much less restricted design. The cam because the factory lift specs seem smaller then the regular 5.3's. Could be the tune also because of the extra torque managment they put in to deal with the weaker tranny.

there is more then meets the eye with these things.

exhaust is one, manifold is two, and cam is three.

our 5.3 has a goofy cam and at which is smaller
Old 11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Here is some info on the LS4 Camshaft specs:
Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake - Non Displacement on Demand Cylinders
7.2 mm
0.283 in
Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake - Displacement on Demand Cylinders
7.33 mm
0.289 in
Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust - Non Displacement on Demand Cylinders
7.2 mm
0.283 in
Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust - Displacement on Demand Cylinders
7.33 mm
0.289 in

"For hot rodders wanting to modify their DOD-equipped LH6s (LS4), it's important to know that the switching lifter has a lift limitation of 15mm (at the valve). The factory cam uses 12.2mm of that (about .480 inch), giving the LH6 (LS4) a theoretical valve lift limit of .590 inch. It's worth noting that this limit is for the lifter; a different valve spring would almost surely have to be used at this valve lift. Interestingly, it seems possible to grind a custom camshaft, which would only provide increased lift and duration to the non-DOD cylinders (2, 3, 5 and 8), thus allowing higher lift with standard non-switching lifters in those cylinders."

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...dod/index.html

Last edited by Trolleyman; 11-29-2006 at 03:06 PM. Reason: editted link
Old 11-20-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

link no worky
Old 11-22-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Hogan makes regular bolt in LS4 Off road down pipes now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550512

In this thread it shows how i took a GTP L67 DP and made it work by simply cutting the bend out and re welding it.

Seemed to help mid range slightly, but the exhaust sounds MUCH better through the stock cat back with no cat. It stinks like an old carbed car at idle... but dont bother me any... I just shut the rear o2 off and it passes all the plug in emission test pids according to the HP tuners scanner.

Thinking about picking the Hogan up - thanks!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default More pics !

Ok i finally got some time to work on the LS4 teardown so here are some more picks of what i got removed.

The cylinder heads came off nice and clean with no real beating or banging, just a slight tug and off they came. The lifters came out fairly straight forward . I noticed that there is a bump in the block in the lifter area. There is also a matching notch on the lifter retainer that prevents you from installing the retainer in wrong. This also prevents you from installing the Dod lifters into the non-DoD lifter bores. The lifters all have the same bore so i'll be able to use standard LSx lifters in my build. I'll have to remove the bump in the block and use standard LSx lifter reatiners as well. Ok well enough of me yapping , here are the pics. Enjoy

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-dod-lifter-retainer-02.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-dod-lifters-block.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-dod-lifter-vs-stock.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-cylinder-heads.jpg  
Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIEROPHREK
Ok i finally got some time to work on the LS4 teardown so here are some more picks of what i got removed.

The cylinder heads came off nice and clean with no real beating or banging, just a slight tug and off they came. The lifters came out fairly straight forward . I noticed that there is a bump in the block in the lifter area. There is also a matching notch on the lifter retainer that prevents you from installing the retainer in wrong. This also prevents you from installing the Dod lifters into the non-DoD lifter bores. The lifters all have the same bore so i'll be able to use standard LSx lifters in my build. I'll have to remove the bump in the block and use standard LSx lifter reatiners as well. Ok well enough of me yapping , here are the pics. Enjoy

Chris
Thanks for helping take the mystery out of this DoD thing Chris! I for one am interested in what you find out with using a LSx cam to remove the DoD. I will do it with the first lifter failure, maybe sooner.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

great work
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default More pics ! ! ! !

Ok gents i finally got some time to get some more disassembly done to my LS4. Ipulled the pan and the oil pump pick up. I also removed the windage tray , man that thing has some weight to it for being a piece of sheetmetal. Anyway here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-oilpan-01.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-bottom-end.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-oil-pump-pickup.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-reluctor-wheel.jpg  
Old 03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it this was an 05' motor? Should have the 58x reluctor if it was an 06' and possible the single bolt cam, where as this one has the 24x and the 3 bolt cam...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hey badass it must be an 05. It does have a 24x reluctor and a 3 bolt cam. Here are some pics of the oil pump the cam and the block. It is pretty much standard issue stuff from here on out. Nothing else weird going on on the bottom end. I think i'm gonna use the edelbrock carb manifold with this engine build. I'd like to go fuel injection but the parts i need to make power are way more costly then if i go the carbed route. I can use that left over cash for a vortec and put about 5lbs to it .
Attached Thumbnails Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-oil-pump-01.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-oil-pump-03.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-timing-chain.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-cam-coming-out-01.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-block-04.jpg  

Old 03-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well i got my lifter retainers today. I got them off of ebay for 129 bucks new! The cool thing is that these retainers have 2 notches in them. They can be installed into the LS4 block without grinding down any bumps in the lifter area. This will make things a little easier. Here are some pics for you guys.
The first pic is of the stock DOD lifter retainer. The second pic is of the new retainer in the block, The third is a comparison. The P/N for these retainers is
12595365. They should be able to be had at any GM dealer. Stay tuned. . . .
Attached Thumbnails Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-dod-lifter-retainer-02.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-non-dod-retainers-01.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-ls4-vs-ls1-retainers.jpg  
Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Well a buddy of mine did an LS6 intake swap on his firechicken and he let me borrow his old manifold to do some trial fits. The manifold will fit fine as long as you remove the oil pressure sender boss and relocate the sender. The sender is just to damn tall. Here are some pics with the manifold sitting on top of the motor. The LS1 manifold is way larger in the throat area then the LS4's . There is some power to be had there as long as your willing to do a little "modding" . I'm gonna remove the boss and see if i can get it to fit and come up with a way to remote mount the sender. Well pics are better than words so here they are.
Attached Thumbnails Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-oil-sender-interferance-01.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-oil-sender-interferance-02.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-oil-sender-interferance-03.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-oil-sender-interferance-04.jpg   Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !-oil-sender-interferance-05.jpg  

Quick Reply: Some pics of my LS4 teardown/build-up !