LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

im glad i bought a reliable car

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default im glad i bought a reliable car

that was a lot of sarcasm if you couldn't tell.

first, water pump is leaking like a bitch
bearing in the tranny is about dead
front inside tires are gone
brakes, shot

***in awesome.
not even 25k miles and less than a year of ownership.

it's great knowing that all i had to do was a timing belt, brakes, and oil changes on my 95 pathfinder, over 100k miles of trouble free driving. i give it up for this.

great.

good going gm, way to make a reliable car.
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tranny and brakes sound like possibly the owners problem to me lol

Anything beyond 7k miles GM wont cover alignments, its normal maint then...

So the water pump is about the only thing im feeling for ya on, and the tech who had to change it!

But be careful... i know a guy that got busted witha GTO on a message board for running his LS2 out of oil, and GM found his posts on LS2gto.com and printed them and sent them to the dealer. So he is still paying fora n 05 GTO with no motor in it.

Just saying this because, you have everything in writing on here u ever did to that car, including spraying it and cutting wires etc...

**** happens...
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:56 AM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

OOOH SNAP!!! Good going Area47 way to break a reliable car.
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1129
OOOH SNAP!!! Good going Area47 way to break a reliable car.
how about this **** tard.

the water pump is a quality control issue. im not the first one with tranny issues. it is a known problem at gm about this.
tires? yea well, no biggie, brakes. i have lasted longer on the stock brakes then anyone on club gp.

before jumping to conclusions look deeper into the situation instead of the surface problems. you might actually get a good view of the picture.
Old 11-13-2006 | 12:10 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

So lets see you ran a 100 shot through it played around with torque management and line pressure and who knows how many track runs and you blame Gm.

Well I know if I ran my car down the track once on a 100 shot and something got messed up or broke I wouldnt blame GM. I will give you the waterpump, but the trans and tires....come on.
Old 11-13-2006 | 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1129
So lets see you ran a 100 shot through it played around with torque management and line pressure and who knows how many track runs and you blame Gm.

Well I know if I ran my car down the track once on a 100 shot and something got messed up or broke I wouldnt blame GM. I will give you the waterpump, but the trans and tires....come on.
the tranny has been squeaking since day one. i just nver got around to taking it in, the water pump gave me that excuse.

chaulk another one up for gm
tires are a normal wear item, duh.
brakes? well those nice lil pads are a wee bit soft, i can deal with brakes and tires. that comes to dealing with a car regardless of what it is.

again, you NOW have been filled in to the whole story. my tunes are covered under warranty being as there is quite a few dealerships across the nation that sell them over the counter to customers.
the hp was never 100, it never put down close what it was supposed too. so i gave up and pulled the kit off the car after the last dyno, a month and half ago.
Old 11-13-2006 | 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Atleast most of that is under warranty. Now if it happened at 36,001 miles I would feel bad for you.
Old 11-13-2006 | 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those brakes on the GXP will go quick, that is something that just happens with drilled rotors, they have to use very soft pads.
Old 11-13-2006 | 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Those brakes on the GXP will go quick, that is something that just happens with drilled rotors, they have to use very soft pads.
yepo, what sucks is. most of my driving is highway.
i average about 50 miles a day highway travel to and from work, use the brakes maybe 4 times a day. dunno. i don't have the ebc pads in stock or else i would have gotten those, so i went back with originals. i like the pads, just wise they had a higher wear rating
Old 11-14-2006 | 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Feel for ya man. Tires - racing; brakes - ?; WP - part failure. Tranny - maybe 300hp is the peak safe HP for it???

My Camaro has been beaten like a dog on the quarter and the road course, with ZERO breakdowns - but that was what the car was made for. I also didn't get an auto tranny in it, while they allow consistent quarter mile runs, I don't trust their durability.

I even allow a lot of room for race related issues, and use them as an excuse for replacing the parts with the next mod. But the Camaro gives me no excuses, so I have to remove perfectly good parts and try and sell them. (Currently looking at removing a perfectly good LS1 to drop in an LS7)

While it's "In Your Face" to beat someone with a family car, my thoughts are to drive / enjoy my MCSS as a V-8 daily driver and continue to build on the F-Body (which you can't enjoy in town because of all the sssllloooooowwwww minivan and SUV drivers that can't afford their gas bill) or sell it for a down payment on a ZO6.
Old 11-14-2006 | 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Feel for ya man. Tires - racing; brakes - ?; WP - part failure. Tranny - maybe 300hp is the peak safe HP for it???
ehh, i wouldn't say that. some of the factory stuff in the tranny is very similar to what ZZP uses in their trannies. like the bigger stall, pump mods, blah blah blah.
Old 11-14-2006 | 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

. . .. maybe if you have something to say you should check some of these other guy's threads about teh same stuff. . . .
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
Old 11-15-2006 | 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
. . .. maybe if you have something to say you should check some of these other guy's threads about teh same stuff. . . .
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

ahhh, pokin through my threads on club gp i see

one thing on the tires, the gxp has different tires and different camber/toe settings then the imp, and mcss do. {got bored the other day at the shop}
Old 11-15-2006 | 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Area47
ahhh, pokin through my threads on club gp i see
Yah, i frequent all of the forums. . . . It's no offense to you, but I just don't have a lot of sympathy for complaints about beating the hell out of a car, and then bitching because it doesn't hold up. . . .sure the brakes/tires items suck for you, but when you try to combine a race car and a daily driver what can you expect. Drilled rotors can't use long lasting brake pads. . .they don't lend themselves well to it. . . .and the tires. . .well thats what happens when you buy a car where you can't rotate the tires correctly. . . .as far as the tranny . .. i think that is already covered.

All in all, if you want a Oh that sucks for you . . .well Man that sucks ; but i can't say I expect the car to act any different if i beat the hell out of mine
Old 11-15-2006 | 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

poke through more in that thread, you'll a viable comparison with my past cars, vs this one.

it was more or less a rant then anything else
Old 11-15-2006 | 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree it was a rant, no hard feeling, you just won't get any sympathy. . .GM quality is going down and there is nothing we can do about it. . .but I bought one anyway because i love them
Old 11-16-2006 | 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Heck I'll jump in this quality bashing thread also this AM. I had an 03 Monte...perfect car. This 06 Monte so far has a whining tranny when in gear, lifter clatter for a minute or two after startup now that it is cold outside, and the sunroof has wind noise. Did I mention the wavy windshield glass in the corners? Uggh. Kinda disappointed myself.
Old 11-16-2006 | 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
lifter clatter for a minute or two after startup now that it is cold outside
Not that it's any less disappointing, but that noise is probably piston slap... 5.3 has long been known for it (along with the other gen 3 small blocks), and I gather it's got something to do with where they had to place the con-rod on the piston for emissions or something... My dad's truck does it some (although it doesn't burn hardly any oil), and my wife's Neon (mitsu engine) does it too...

Mike
Old 11-16-2006 | 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

I love to see when people mod their car, beat the crap out of it, and then complain when it breaks. It have a stock 06 Impala SS and drive it hard and have street raced, drag raced, and even had it on a road course. To this day I have had no problems with the car. Area47 what you have encountered is not so bad. I have a couple of my friends that have Acuras one TL and one CL-S both have had multiple transmission replacements, and they have 100-120ft/lbs less torque than we do.
Old 11-16-2006 | 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crippler22
I love to see when people mod their car, beat the crap out of it, and then complain when it breaks. It have a stock 06 Impala SS and drive it hard and have street raced, drag raced, and even had it on a road course. To this day I have had no problems with the car. Area47 what you have encountered is not so bad. I have a couple of my friends that have Acuras one TL and one CL-S both have had multiple transmission replacements, and they have 100-120ft/lbs less torque than we do.
what pissed me off the most was the water pump, the rest i can live with, the squeaks, rattles, and other lil things.

honda sucks for auto trannies.

ps. there is a sensor for piston slap. as odd as it sounds, it's true.