LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

exhaust size ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default exhaust size ??

since the flowmaster mufflers others are using on their Monte's have 2.25" in/out, I believe our '06 Monte SS's come stock with 2.25" tubing, correct?

My question is, when I go to get a new exhaust put on, would there be any benefit to having the shop create new tubing with 2.5" instead?? or is the MagnaFlow catback system fine as is?? is it 2.25" or 2.5" ??

or, can I just put on new mufflers, get the u-bend taken out, use the existing/stock tubing and everything will be fine?

the only mods I have are a CAI and I plan to get a Predator tune...

Thanks all!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 12-11-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock exhaust is really decent on these cars. GTP L67 guys, some of the quickest street driven ones still have the stock cat back and mufflers. They get rid of the DP with the U bend.

But if i had one too id keep the stock exhaust, they sound like **** IMHO. They all make this metallic rapping noise that sounds like they have exhaust leaks... blah

The offroad DP only, stock cat back made mine just as loud as any of the ones i heard on here with new mufflers.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

BADDLS1SS,

so is the 2.5" tubing increase not really necessary for these "small" V8's?? won't get any noticable gains?

and I saw your pic in the other thread - http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2903/img0301sj1.jpg - will removing that little bit of a u-bend make any difference either, other than sound??

for sound purposes, I could just install new mufflers and not worry about all the rest of the system.

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
But if i had one too id keep the stock exhaust, they sound like **** IMHO. They all make this metallic rapping noise that sounds like they have exhaust leaks... blah
yeah, I don't really like the sound of the magnaflow system/mufflers - would be nice if I could just buy the piping from the kit and throw on my own mufflers LOL

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

If you're not looking to eeek every bit of HP out of your engine, the 2.25 is fine. However, iirc, it's not 2.25" all the way...only to the "Y" After that it gets even smaller (but there's two of them )

The MagnaFlow system is 2.5 all the way through, front to back, and claims 10hp gained.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

cool... thx Chris! - that's the info I was lookin' for...

I remember a couple people on here or another forum that put Flow's on their stock pipes, and the part number they gave me was for the 2.25 in/out model 40 series, so I would imagine that the Y is 2.25 as well.

as mentioned, I have the CAI and will be getting the Diablo Predator tune shortly, but as far as mods go, that's probably going to be it for me - so if I keep stock pipes, and just put on new mufflers - will getting that minimal u-bend removed provide any noticable gains?? or is it not worth it without any other/real mods?

Although with the MagnaFlow, 10hp IS 10hp just wish they sounded better. I wasn't impressed with the sound of them in those video clips.

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 12-11-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The sound is good, its rumbly but not obnoxious
Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends on what your goal is with the car.

the exhaust size plays a lot into where the power is.

me, i plan on going 3 inch back to 2.5 split. why? i love top end pull. i spend most of my time on the highway anyways, so it helps me out. i can afford to sacrarice low end. gives me a better chance at traction really.

2.5 all the way back is a nice round area, gives more mid range and slightly better top end.

no can, stock piping, no res. it's loud, its very very raspy, sounds like something is loose. typical ls1 sound at idle {sounds pretty damn good actually} there is a drone to it above 2300 rpms, but between 1000-2k it's damn near silent when runnin 60-70 mph down the high way.

so, in short, where do you want power to be, and whats ize piping goin hand in hand.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

2.5 sounds about right then, cuz that's where I'd like it to be. bottom end is good - takes off like a rocket, midrange pulls pretty good too, top end I'd like to be better - doesn't seem to pull that hard above 50/60 - at least, not as hard as I'd like it to. LOL

so it sounds like I SHOULD remove the u-bend and do 2.5" cat back pipe...

Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Remember larger piping sometimes will take away low end torque, Its a catch 22 and i think the stock exhaust sizing is fine at 2.250" It necks down to 2" going into the garbage cans for mufflers, but its routed through (2) 2" pipes so the restriction is not that bad.

I guess im just a fuddy dutty that likes doing more with less or keeping as much stock stuff as possible and replace only what is gonna give me a big gain. For example, my Camaro runs 11.40's @ 120 on motor with stock heads, cam only 6 speed car. With a 200 hp wet shot. It now runs 10.19's @ 134 with the stock heads yet. Just me not wanting to spend a **** load on heads and go .2 faster, not worth it. And i run through a 3" cat back, no cut out.

But i thought i would gain alot of top end from the off road pipe too, its been my experience dumping the cats and stock y pipe on LS1 F-bodies netted a noticable gain and was my reasoning for chaning it. But the DP isnt as big of a POS as that flat turd used on F bodies.

Your only way to get that 50-60 mph punch is a converter or cam. It drops to 4200 right at that 1-2 shift and doesnt make a ton power there... torque yes though. When i race anyone, it feels the slowest right there, but thats when it starts the "ls1 pull" on the competition.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, I'm with ya on that - don't want to spend a lot of money for minimal gains - hence all these questions before I do anything... ;-) and thanks for all the help everyone!!

so sounds like I should have the u-bend removed and just put on new mufflers/tips. Less money = I'm happy. :-)

Old 12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah, I'm with ya on that - don't want to spend a lot of money for minimal gains
Smart man!

I know some guys that will spend a stupid amounts of money for 10 hp... i.e FAST intake's over a LS6 intake in a stock engine... LOL 1G spent very wisely there...

I just hate seeing people spend money on stuff that is not going to give a worth while increase. There is a saying used in the GN/turbo buick community... "STOCK IS TRICK"
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Badd - have you been able to get your MCSS to sound like your Z? (BTW - I do have the 3" Y-pipe on the big dog).

From the quarters my Magnaflow sounds like a V8, but from the rear you can't hear a thing. Ticks me off!

Need the cat, but thinking of a Hogan DP and removing the resonator after programming.

I personally like passing cars, at any speed. I bought the Magnaflow system because of the larger pipes, and hoped it would wake the neighbors up. Not really. But the car does pull good at 55 and 70 mph.

Bottom line - mod what's in your budget!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Camaro SS has a cam, hooker long tubes, off road Y pipe and SLP 2 out the left exhaust. Its very loud in comparison to the monte.

Ive had someone drive the monte and i stood in the road and listened, it sounds good and pretty loud just driving away.

Under WOT it has a distinct roar of a V8 w/o the hissing air sound and you can hear it a good 1/8th mile away yet or at least a ways into 2nd gear.

I hate that hissing or compressed air sound, even with diff mufflers, and its usuually the cat that makes it sound that way.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car is freakin loud now without the cat and res. im putting a smaller res back on it to take care of the raspy sound it has now due to no cat.

still runnin stock piping, just a hogan 3 inch dp no cat, no res, magnaflow mufflers.

tips play a big role in how a car sounds too. it doesn't have the typical GP sound now {IE mooing cow}
just some food for thought. if i can get vid of it later this week on the exhaust side of things i'll send you guys a link to it.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm used to the rumble of the the GMMG system on my Z. You can hear / feel the V8 inside the cockpit. On the road course it sounds like a C6R.

Considered headers, but went with the larger Y instead. The heat inside the car on a + 70* day almost forces me to flick the air on during extended lapping! Stick gets HOT to the touch from the tunnel heat.

I only have heard the MCSS in a parking lot w/ the governator holding it to the 3K line. Can't really hear it above a busy 4 lane road, where the Z would have everyone looking at it.

But then again, the cars are engineered for 2 different uses.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill take some vid of my car, i can rev it above 3K
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shitty quality but you get the point... lots of water vapor too! hahah

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...17187000079232
Old 12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

that sounds pretty damn good! all you have done to it is that offroad dp ??

how hard is it to swap the dp??

Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thats all that is done to the exhaust. If you buy the right right one for these cars it takes about 15 min to install it. You would need HP tuners to shut off the codes for the now missing rear o2 sensor.

It didnt make much diff in peformance, but helped sound alot. Id leave that resonator though, thats what makes it not drone.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Don't forget...unless you "know somebody," you'll need to revert back to stock to pass any vehicle inspection. Even then, i know that with the new emissions testing in NY, if the computer "red flags" the missing 02 sensor you're SOL. Not sure how that affects you in CT, though.