LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Considering CAI for Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Default Considering CAI for Impala SS

I am considering putting on a CAI for my 2006 Impala SS. Will this void my warranty? The only one I have seen is the K&N CAI, are there others? Opinions please.
Old 06-13-2007 | 10:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

no, it won't void your warranty, unless the dealer can show proof that the CAI caused whatever engine malfunction you may have...

I'm partial to this one:

http://coldairinductions.com/W-BodyLS4V8ColdAirBox.html

it is sealed and insulated from the engine heat, unlike the wide-open K&N intake...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-13-2007 | 10:36 PM

I have the CAI in my 05 GXP and I love it. Easy install and it works well. Nice sound when you floor it to.
Old 06-14-2007 | 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

The one from coldairinductions.com looks good, is it difficult to install? In the pics it appears that it uses most of the stock hoses. Also does the kit have any hose behind the drivers side headlight or do you use the stock tube? Is there a noticable gain? I like to research all products and get opinions on them before I buy, the more opinions and info. the better!!
Old 06-14-2007 | 07:24 PM

Pretty easy to install. It comes in three parts. The bottom is where the computers get bolted to. then you screw the two halves together then the nice looking cover. Yes you do use the bellows and your MAF sensor. It does not have any hose just big aluminum wedge that rams the air into the intake reallly notice when you take out your drivers headlight. It takes about a half hour or so to install. I did notice some difference but not the horse power that they claim. But you do notice a little. I really like mine.
Old 06-14-2007 | 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like mine as well. SilverLS4 had noted no gain in back to back runs at the track when removing the headlight.
Old 06-15-2007 | 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

I've got the K&N. I like it. Nice sound - probably more noticeable than the CAI due to the open construction. Yes it's not nearly as pretty or closed off from the engine, but it serves it's purpose. Plus you can put the cool K&N stickers all over your car and advertise for them It's also about $80 less, fwiw. Check out 4filters.com...i think they were down to $200 at one point incl. shipping.

I'd like to know what the other guys are finding as far as Intake Temps goes. On a very hot day recently, the intake temp was 5-9* hotter than the ambient (according to my Diablo) when cruising. Didn't look at the temps when stopped or idling, and didn't do any logging on the streets during stop-n-go driving. Anyone else log this info? Would be good to know for all interested.

For intake flow purposes, what should i be logging? I'd like to compare the K&N to the CAI...
Old 06-15-2007 | 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to go back and look at some logs. Seem to remember them really close (1-3) while driving.
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Carefull how you spend your money ...

I have a K&N replacement panel, 60mm tube removed, MF exhaust system.

Ran a G/P GXP last week, couldn't shake him. He had unknown mods, if any. Should have pulled on him above 90.

Rockers seem to be a better investment.
Old 06-15-2007 | 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Are you comparing the K&N Panel Filter with the complete kit?

Also, what makes you think you'd walk an even unmodded GXP? Just the exhaust might not do it...but it should have given you a little top end.

But it SOUNDS so damn good, huh? That's why you did it in the first place! =)
Old 06-16-2007 | 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's different about the GXP's?
Old 06-17-2007 | 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

Today I surrouned the outside of my K&N CAI with the 3M heat shield stuff. Then I took off my drivers side tire and fender. And ran a tube from under my fog light into the hole where the CAI is. Closed everything back up and the computer and tranny computer in the corner was alot cooler. Felt like I had a little low end torque from it also, Took about 1 hour to do.
Old 06-17-2007 | 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Are you comparing the K&N Panel Filter with the complete kit?

Also, what makes you think you'd walk an even unmodded GXP? Just the exhaust might not do it...but it should have given you a little top end.

But it SOUNDS so damn good, huh? That's why you did it in the first place! =)
Yah, comparing the panel to the kit ... seems to me the stock box isn't that restrictive with the 60mm tube removed, since it can't get any bigger than the MAF.

The Z28SS's were sold with a ram air kit and a performance exhaust, which gave them the edge on a Z28. One would think helping the flow would give an edge, but not the case with these cars.

That's always been my point with them - why don't they?

But yeah, it's got a nice rumble to it
Old 06-24-2007 | 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

I am also looking into the Cold Air Inductions CAI aswell, but I was told that it can make my 07 Monte SS run either lean or rich. Does anyone know if that is the case? Also, will having a CAI help with MPG????
Old 06-24-2007 | 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

When I installed my K&N it set off the check engine light. The ltft was at near 25%. Luckily I bought the Predator at the same time.
Old 06-24-2007 | 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Could that be caused by the open intake vs having a box covered one? I dont think the Predator is going to support the 2007 Monte SS
Old 06-24-2007 | 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

i havent heard of anyone getting a light with the CAI intake.
Old 06-25-2007 | 05:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jabronie78
When I installed my K&N it set off the check engine light. The ltft was at near 25%. Luckily I bought the Predator at the same time.
On my truck, I didn't get the air tubbing tight and air leaked in behind the MAF causing the lean code. I don;t think it's not the new CAI. Recheck for leaks.
Old 06-26-2007 | 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

With the stock intake sucking air right at the fender getting decent air already, removing the head light didn't help. Now I just installed the k&n and the air the engine now gets seems like it would have to be warmer than with stock. Now I wonder if removeing the head light with a k&n would help, and more importantly if a k&n is even worth it. It may flow more, but more bad air. I'm just wondering if the k&n is just a bunch of hot air. I think I would go with the CAI along with a bellows eliminator between the tb and maf.
Old 06-26-2007 | 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

I took off the rear engine bay-to-hood weather stripping a while ago, to let hot air out... so this weekend, while looking around at things... I took that weather stripping, and cut it to the proper lengths and mounted the sections to the top of the CAI box (I run without the lid on)... now those rubber weather stripping sections are just about as tall as the cross/sway bar, just about make contact with the hood when it's closed, so they help to keep to further seal the hot air out of it and keep it from getting into the CAI box...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Quick Reply: Considering CAI for Impala SS