LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Installing Rear Air bags for Drag Launch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Rear Air bags for Drag Launch?

I grew up racing a 1970 Buick GS. One of the least expensive and most effective ways to improve the 60ft. time at the track was to install "air spings" inside the rear coil springs. They were deflated to 5 PSI for regular driving and pumped up to around 20 PSI at the track. It DRAMATICALLY helped hook up at launch. They only cost around $75 bucks and didn't require an onboard compressor to inflate.

I just purchased my 2007 Impala SS two days ago so I haven't even opened it up yet. My thought is that rear air springs in our cars could help tremendously by reducing the front to rear weight transfer which unloads the front tires.

For those who are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about here is a link and picture:

Air Lift 1000

What do you think?

Thanks!
Shane
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rear struts, no worky. I've looked into it a lot for my regal, nobody makes anything to work with the rear struts. It would be an awesome idea if it worked.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

A couple guys have installed the GTO spring blocks used when first shipping the car to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Default Air springs

DOH!!

That's what I get for posting a question without looking under the car first!

The spring blocks sound like a good idea.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

If you go to Intense-racing.com they have the RASK kit (Rob Archer Suspension Kit) and you install it on the rear springs and it keeps the rear end jacked up for the track days. It is only for drag strip use and not everyday driving. I have the GTO spring blockers and for what they were I didn't find they did anything for me. I noticed better results from lowering my car. Now this is all for my Comp G, but one W-body is the same as another.
Tate
Old 07-03-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

i cant stand when people jack up the rear end and put that cable on. it looks retarted and even if you run a good time, ur not gonna run like that on the streets. i like to go in 100% street form so i know how i will run on the streets
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

How often are you running the 1/4mi on the streets, though? Nobody is asking for street quartermile times as far as i know of. It's just like people taking the headlight out (of other cars) to get more air...you wouldn't do that on your daily drive, either, but people do at the track

(but i know you don't...so that doesn't matter anyway)
Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Default Street Racing

I don't race on the streets anymore EVER. If I want to go fast I take it to the track. I started this post because I am looking to build my "track setup" for the Impala SS.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with kissmyss03,

Could never understand why people will brag on their 13 second car and then you find out that those times are after ripping out the interior, drag radials or street tires @ 20PSIG, no air filter, etc. Reminds me of a story I read a long time back in one of the car magazines. They took a early 70's Eldorado with the wheezy low compression 500" ('bout 190 horsepower) engine and started with around an 18 second quarter mile. They then 'race prepped' it for the track. Did not touch the drivetrain, the tires, did nothing but pull some weight out of the car. Like the entire interior, the body panels, all the accessories, lighter battery, glass, and it goes on like that. At the end, they had a frame/floorpan and a drivetrain. That puppy scooted down in the low 12's if I recall correctly. Now, if they put the stuff back in and drive it on the street, do they have a 12 second car or an 18 second one?

Obviously that example is carried to the extreme, but where do you draw the line? Removing the interior? Pulling a headlight? Exhaust cut-out? Pulling off the accessory drive belt? Every person will tell you something different. My goal at the track is to optimize my STREET car's time (mostly optimizing the driver), maybe why the idea of bracket racing is so appealing to me. Anyway, if I wanted a track only racecar, then I would build one. If I want to see how fast my car is, I run it as it sits, including my usual crap in the trunk.

Nothing wrong with either approach, I am sure there are people who think it is nuts to not empty out the trunk, to not air down the tires, to not pump up the airbags...

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Teching In

The "What is a Street Car???" debate is never ending...
Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

You will run differn't times on the street then at the track regardless because of traction issues. You get better traction on the street with street tires then you will at the track on street tires.
Tate

Quick Reply: Installing Rear Air bags for Drag Launch?