LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

ZZP Performance Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know i had no luck forcing the stock bushing out of the mount, but i also tried to do this quickly over my lunch break...so my patience was limited. I hacked it up with a sawzall.

I'll try to find the receipt from the replacement mount i bought when i got rid of the ZZP, but i think i paid between $40 and $50 through a member at NAIOA.

However, this unit sounds promising...i'd love to know how well it handles the cold weather...which really did in the ZZP.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I'll try to find the receipt from the replacement mount i bought when i got rid of the ZZP, but i think i paid between $40 and $50 through a member at NAIOA.
I wonder if there is an associated GM part number for this...because I'd love to do the mod.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my stock mount also. I am not to sure if I will swap out mounts during the winter. We get up to -40 in Calgary so I might because the mount will definatley get hard as hell in that weather. But this motor mount is way different then the ZZP it has the stock feel (far as drive) but it has all of the positive things you want far as more feel of torque to the ground etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Installed mine today and noticed major improvement. Firm but no vibration at all. No new squeaks or rattles. Super service. Ordered sat. 8/11 & received Wed. 8/15. I ordered one motor mount by sending an email to 3800 performance and received this response:

Order this product below, and I will ship you the Motor Mount. Please email
me after you order as a reminder.

This is a valve cover breather assembly costing $39.99
http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...Product_Code=C
ASPERS-VCB&Category_Code=EC&Product_Count=10

Best Regards,
3800 Performance
www.3800performance.com
Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rbrow53
Installed mine today and noticed major improvement. Firm but no vibration at all. No new squeaks or rattles. Super service. Ordered sat. 8/11 & received Wed. 8/15. I ordered one motor mount by sending an email to 3800 performance and received this response:

Order this product below, and I will ship you the Motor Mount. Please email
me after you order as a reminder.

This is a valve cover breather assembly costing $39.99
http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...Product_Code=C
ASPERS-VCB&Category_Code=EC&Product_Count=10

Best Regards,
3800 Performance
www.3800performance.com
Sounds good, but that link doesn't work.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just gotta piece it together, that's all...

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...oduct_Count=10

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Has anyone who has done this had any trouble getting it back together? Last time i flipped the MM the dogbone did not reach the mount. I started the engine and had to use a breaker bar to pull it forward to get it to reach. Then, to add insult to injury, i dropped the nut into the bumper cavity and could not find it. Luckily, i happened to have the a pair of prefect size grade 8 nuts sitting around (yeah, that seems like a punch line to a dirty joke, huh?) That being said, the first couple times i took this apart everything went quite smoothly.

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
I wonder if there is an associated GM part number for this...because I'd love to do the mod.
hexx...if you're a member at NAIOA, which i believe you are, PM "ZSPOT" and ask him for it. I PM'd him yesterday and he said he thinks his cost for the part is $36.xx + shipping...but it's heavy so i think i paid $42 or $43 total...can't remember. IIRC, the dealer wanted $55 for it and it needed to be ordered...and Z's price was considerably better than all of the other GM parts stores online. He ships fast, too.

According to the early version of the Impala/MC part list, it's called "Brkt, Strut/Tie Bar" in the "Engine/Trans Mounts" section...but shows no price or part number (which reminds me that i need to buy an updated parts list).
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
hexx...if you're a member at NAIOA, which i believe you are, PM "ZSPOT" and ask him for it.
Thanks for the info Buffalo...actually I just remembered that I know someone at 2000montecarlo.com that is a GM part guru. But I'll try your guy if I can't get in touch with mine. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default mount

I ordered two, so I will have an extra one for sale once I get them. Hopefully next week.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:26 AM

I just put one of these in my 06 MCSS:

http://www.3800performance.com/msp_tbv2_mm_install1.htm

First off, the instructions are clearly for a GTO, not an MC. The bolt sizes/locations are wrong, but easy enough to figure out.

Second, the sides of this mount need to be modified. In the instructions, you'll see that the sides of this mount have cutouts where the flange of the metal mount comes out, and the sides sort of butt up against these flanges of metal. Well, on the MC, these don't line up, flipping them did no good. I actually had to take out my dremmel and cut away a bit of the material on one side of each of the "sides" for the new mount so they would drop flush against the main block of the mount.

Once I'd modded the sides so they would drop flush against the middle block of the mount, put it all back together, and tested it out, I was pleased.

Firm feel, delivers more torque to the wheels for sure. A bit of vibration telegraphed to the driver but not annoying, just feels "tight" I guess. It's what you want to feel when you replace the stock mount.

Anyhow, on a 1-10 scale, I give these a solid 8. -1 for the installation instructions being so far off for the MC, and -1 for having to modify the sides to fit my MC (there is no indication that these wouldn't just slap right in on their site, but they defintely do NOT, and must be modified to lay flat against the middle block of the mount on an 06 MCSS).
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

I got the mounts to fit perfect on my 07 GXP. Did you put the shorter part of the line on the mount to the bottom and the longer side towards the top?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM

yeah, I tried both ways by flipping it over to no avail. There was just no way around it, in order to get them to "flush" to the center block of the mount and get by the "flanged" parts of the bracket, I had to trim back the shorter side about 1/2" so it would get by the flange.

Again, this is for a 2006 MC SS, single radiator bracket.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Again, this is for a 2006 MC SS, single radiator bracket.
GXP has the single to but there is 4 bolts mounting it instead of 2. The size of the motor mounts the same just weird you had issues with it. I think cdnmontefan installed his on the weekend on his 06 MCSS. You should PM him and see if he ran into any issues.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM

It'll be interesting to see what he wound up doing. You can see the issue in the last picture clearly here:

http://www.3800performance.com/msp_tbv2_mm_install2.htm

Notice how along the bottom, the "shorter lip", it's supposed to clear that angular piece of metal on the bracket. You can see even in THAT pic it doesn't quite clear the metal, but on the 06 MCSS it's more prominent, and I had to make that "notch" on the shorter side about 1/2" longer to clear that flange. Only then would it sit flat against the block.

It'd be interesting to see what other MC folks had to do with this mount. If you don't lengthen that notch and just cram it in it definitely doesn't fit right. It has to be shaved back a bit to fit. I probably should have taken some pictures, but it will be evident to any of us MC owners that it's not an exact fit with regard to the sides of this mount and has to be modified to work correctly.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Yep I had to trim mine as well....
Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM

ah, thanks for weighing in CMF. I admit I was a bit surprised that they weren't an exact fit, but trimming them down wasn't a big deal, though I was second-guessing myself as I was doing. I spent a good 5 minutes f'ing about with them, flipping them around, etc, making SURE I wasn't missing something.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Are you pleased with the ride of the car after the mount was installed? I am finding mine a wee bit rough...Is there usually a break in period with these things?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM

Yeah, it is definitely a bit rougher...a bit more responsive with regard to torque, and I notice the ride reflects that stiff mount. I assume there is a small breakin period, but the whole idea is to keep that "stiffness" so you don't lose the torque as you do in the softer and more forgiving stock mount.

I'll give it 100 or so miles and report back
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing here, had to trim it. Also I noticed our bracket is square on two ends whereas the mount is rounded on three edges and square on only one. Don't know if it matters much. I noticed a bit of shudder when coasting to a stop sign with the new mount. Probaly needs a little break in.

On a side note, does anyone know what the torque settings should be for the motor mount bolts? As well as the dogbone?

Last edited by supercatxr7; 08-20-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

last time I flipped my motor mount, I applied

8-beers-&-turn-as-far-&-hard-as-I-could-till-it-wouldn't-budge-anymore foot/pounds...

dunno if that's the correct value though, but I know it ain't moving...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Quick Reply: ZZP Performance Motor Mount