LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

ZZP Performance Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
got my mount in the mail today... will report back when I install it... I think it's too friggin' hot today - 96 and very HUMID here...

Thanks for hookin' me up Harmfamily!!

k, in the middle of the install...

I got the stock mount out in ONE PIECE!! still able to be reinstalled and used at a later date, if needed/wanted.

dunno if I'd be able to get it in again, but I got it out as one piece -

I put a big screwdriver in around the sides, lubed it up with WD40, then instead of trying to push it out the other side, I lifted the screwdriver up and pried it out towards the same side the screwdriver was on... took me 5 minutes... WOOHOO!!!

ok, back to the new install, gotta go... talk to ya later...

WOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

EDIT: oh, and... I didn't even remove the bracket from the front radiator support... all I did was take out the dog bone...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 08-25-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 3800 performance mount I've noticed the shudder I experience is only if the car is coasting down and in overdrive like coming up to a stop sign or slowing down. If I manually shift the car into 3 (drive) while coasting the shudder goes away. Could the shudder I feel be something wrong with my transmission, or is this what I should expect?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

k... just took a quick ride.. and I mean quick... only about 5 minutes.. cuz the wife is home from work... so time to make some dinner and chill...

anyway... just walked in from doing a test ride with the new motor mount... AWESOME!!

in the brief 5 minutes I had... yes, you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel at idle... but while driving, I didn't notice anything... except quicker accleration and harder pull when romping on the gas... was SUUUUHHH--WEEEETTT!!!

definitely an improvement, even over the stock flipped mount...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 08-26-2007, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

just took a longer ride, and a blast on the highway... didn't notice any shuddering... but on the highway, when I kicked it down to take off, didn't seem like it pulled as much as with the flipped stocker... interesting... Hmmm...

normal around town driving definitely pulls harder/quicker, can feel a difference...

Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Far as the shudder goes. Try and loosen the bolt a little, I just tried that yestarday and it seemed to reduce it even more. I wish I could find the factory torque specs for the motor mount. I think that's why people are getting shudder is the bolts to tight?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've asked on multiple boards for the torque setting, but no replies. Doesn't anybody work at a dealership and can check?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, I'd like to know how much to tighten it as well.. I have the dogbone arms right up against the sides of the mount, but I could still tighten it even more if I crank it... but afraid I would bend that metal tube that goes through it... if I didn't already LOL

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

no one knows how tight to make these?? if there's no hard numbers out there, how tight did you all make yours?? crank it down til it wouldn't go any further?? backed off a little from that point?? etc etc...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when I first put my ZZP one on I cranked it down hard. Found it was to tight so I have it like maybe 1-2 turns after snug factory it was easy as hell to take off.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
With the 3800 performance mount I've noticed the shudder I experience is only if the car is coasting down and in overdrive like coming up to a stop sign or slowing down. If I manually shift the car into 3 (drive) while coasting the shudder goes away. Could the shudder I feel be something wrong with my transmission, or is this what I should expect?
To bring this issue back up, I've noticed exactly the same shudder as described above, and I agree, that it seems to be tied to the trans being in OD. There must be something to this. Anyone else able to concur that shifting out of OD eliminates the shudder?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tonskiguy
To bring this issue back up, I've noticed exactly the same shudder as described above, and I agree, that it seems to be tied to the trans being in OD. There must be something to this. Anyone else able to concur that shifting out of OD eliminates the shudder?
I don't get a shudder anymore, in any gear. But its always hot around here and the mount is flexy all the time.....I haven't seen anything as of gear selection though, thats interesting.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

supercatxr7 and i split a pair of the msp ones, very nice motor mount indeed and very mild vibration sometimes when slowing in 3rd and 4th gear....downshift and its gravy
Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, i have read this forum everyday for a year since i bought my 07 MCSS a year ago. I never really needed to reply because everything i wanted to know was answered, but i am having a horrible shudder at 55-69 mph. I took it back to dealer 3 times. 1st time they said it was 2 tires unable to be balanced because error in side wall crap. two new tires and still annyoing shudder on highway, 2nd time did nothing, 3rd time i took it to another dealer i know, they told me it is the tourque converter locking up on highway and that is what is causing the whole car to shake and shudder in the sterring wheel. DO any of you guys get this and do you think this is related to the motor mounts? Weird thing is it smooths out after 70mph and in that sweet zone of 55-69 when gas is pressed or when in 8 cyl mode it really shudders vs. in 4 cyl or when it is costing. I was going to go to local tire shop to see if the tires need balanced or if the new ones have any errors in construction in them, but i think there is something more.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, sounds like it could be a mount or tranny issue. An unbalanced tire shouldn't balance itself out at that speed (70+).
Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonskiguy

From what I have found out, somehow it is related to the car being in Overdrive and also the DOD. When I put a tune in my car that disables DOD, the shudder on slow down/coasting goes away. When I put a DOD tune in the car, the shudder comes back. To me it seems to be a problem with the DOD function. If on a coast down in OD the DOD were to turn off at around 35mph, there would be no shudder. Unfortunately it does not snap out of DOD mode or downshift until around 15mph or so and this causes the shudder. It is not a problem of the mount.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks Supercatxr7. I think I'll fish around the dealer to see if they have any reports or history on this.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let us know what you find out. I need to do something about it too.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

just wanted to ask a noob question about changing the mount. Since there is only one upper mount, isn't it possible for the engine to shift after the stock one is removed? does the engine need to be supported in any way while installing the new mount?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackenedss87
just wanted to ask a noob question about changing the mount. Since there is only one upper mount, isn't it possible for the engine to shift after the stock one is removed? does the engine need to be supported in any way while installing the new mount?
No, it does not. When you remove the "dogbone" the engine will be able to move a little, but you don't have to worry about it falling or anything, or anything even close to that happening. It's a very safe and easy procedure.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
When I put a tune in my car that disables DOD, the shudder on slow down/coasting goes away. When I put a DOD tune in the car, the shudder comes back. To me it seems to be a problem with the DOD function.
I see you are Diablo tuned...You sure this isn't the notoriously annoying DOD "surge" that everyone complained about? Do you get it when you revert to the OEM backup tune?

Quick Reply: ZZP Performance Motor Mount