LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

160 stat install

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160 stat install

Just got my slp 160 stat from jegs. Plan on installing tomorrow morning. Can anyone give me a walk through as how to do this? I know it looks simple enough (except for the location!!). Two bolts and then change it out and then reinstall. Add fluid and go. Anyone care to elaborate for me? Where do you drain the coolant from? Also after the new stat is in, just fill the fluid back up to proper level? Or is there anything else I need to do? Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's as "simple" as it looks, lol. This may help
Document ID# 1552829
2007 Chevrolet Impala

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement (LS4)
Special Tools
J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

Remove the radiator air lower baffle and deflector. Refer to Radiator Air Lower Baffle and Deflector Replacement .
Reposition the radiator inlet hose. Refer to Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement .
Partially drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
Use the J 38185 in order to reposition the hose clamp from the water outlet housing.
Remove the radiator inlet hose from the water outlet housing.

Remove the water outlet housing bolts (302).
Remove the water outlet housing (303) and O-ring seal (304).
Remove the thermostat (305).
Clean and inspect the water outlet housing O-ring seal mating surfaces.
Installation Procedure
Notice: DO NOT use cooling system seal tabs, or similar compounds, unless otherwise instructed. The use of cooling system seal tabs, or similar compounds, may restrict coolant flow through the passages of the cooling system or the engine components. Restricted coolant flow may cause engine overheating and/or damage to the cooling system or the engine components/assembly.

Install the thermostat (305).
Install the O-ring seal (304) and water outlet housing (303).
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the water outlet housing bolts (302).
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Install the radiator inlet hose to the water outlet housing.
Use the J 38185 in order to reposition and install the hose clamp to the water outlet housing.
Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
Install the radiator inlet hose. Refer to Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement .
Install the radiator air lower baffle and deflector. Refer to Radiator Air Lower Baffle and Deflector Replacement .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1552829
2007 Chevrolet Impala
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Its definitely not a fun install....but once you get past the coolant drain its smooth sailing.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering, do you live in a place that has cold winters? Because a 160* stat isnt the best for places that have cold winter months. The best bet is a 180* stat all year round.
Correct I live up in Alberta and I would not run a 160 in the fall/winter, for climates where it hits -40 in December you would freeze your *** off.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

I live in Missouri. It does get a little cold in the winter, but not for a long time. The 160 will work fine for me. GTO's come stock with them and also badss usess one and hasn't had a problem. I'm pretty sure he lives further north than me.

Thanks for the help. I'll try and get this done in the morning.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I have one too....I live in Cali so no problems here.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Didn't have enough time to get it on yet. Did look everything over. How much fluid do I need to drain out? Also, where exactly do I drain it from? And finally, Do you have to worry about air in the system after you refill it?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by djfeezy
Didn't have enough time to get it on yet. Did look everything over. How much fluid do I need to drain out? Also, where exactly do I drain it from? And finally, Do you have to worry about air in the system after you refill it?
Here's a little write-up:

# Do this when the engine is cool (like after sitting overnight or for several hours where there is no residual pressure in the system). This way there will be no need to drain any extra coolant from the system.

1. Remove the intake elbow.

2. Stuff absorbent rags or towels all around the thermostat housing to catch any coolant when you loosen the housing. Place a catch can underneath the car to collect coolant.

3. Swap the thermostats and put the housing back on. Don't over tighten the bolts, they can easily break (torque to 89 lb. in. - "snug"). No gasket or sealant is needed other than the rubber o-ring that is on the thermostat, itself.

4. Put everything back together and put whatever amount of coolant you lost in the catch can back into the remote reservoir. After a few heat and cool cycles, the system absorb the coolant initially lost.

5. Idle the engine and monitor the temp. If the temp goes abnormally high, you may have an air pocket. Open the bleeder screws after the thermostat is open to remove any air.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

what temp thermostat comes factory in an 01 z?

Quick Reply: 160 stat install