LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Now my tranny is acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much use it for hills as well...I'll use it to slow down at the end of the track...But I got nothing to show off, esspically to a bunch of kids. I'm certainly not going to beat on the car just to get my rocks off...Mostly because NY has a Whopping budget for police........From an engine breaking standpoint, this gear box is tuned in such a way that engine braking is like nill...Must be the loose converter...I dont know...unless you are in the gear ou want to be before hand I think it's faster to just drop the hammer instead of doing a manual select plus you aren't slamming the system like that...I guess it's a matter of what's more important to you...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sint3k
When you are lining up to race on a roll waiting for the trans to downshift on its own takes to long for someone who is determined to make there selves noticed you figured you would have thought about it from a prespective that you aren't looking at. Just because its not a manual dosn't mean you can't use the shifter. very ignorant comment IMO

agreed
Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Woah Sint3k....easy to who you are talking to, thats the fastest LS4 to date here.

And I have to agree with Badd; they put a straight gate and a computer in the transmission for a reason. When you start overriding the computer, it hurts the car. You are not smarter than the computer, you may see a few more seconds into the future (in a roll), but definately not smarter. If you want to bang gears, buy a stick. You'll just end up hazing bands and goring teeth in the tranny when you drop it into 2nd at 70....kinda stupid.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping i do break them i'll just buy another transmission. I don't care who he is its a ignorant comment and i spoke nothing but the truth and if you havn't noticed the shifter controls the computer so regardless the computer is still in control. It is no diffrent then flooring it and the computer downshifting on its own and honestly who cares if you have a warranty. I mean unless its your only car what does it matter. I can rag on this POS for 100,000 miles before i really give a crap.

PS.
definitely

Last edited by Sint3k; 12-22-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you havn't noticed the shifter controls the computer so regardless the computer is still in control.
.....Well it's either one or the other....

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 12-22-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Jeep360Limited
I just noticed it tonight, not really a big deal, but if I'm doing like 65mph on the highway, let off the gas, and manually drop it down to 2nd gear, it will just drop down to idle and coast like it's in neutral. When I get back into gas, then the tach shoots back up and it will accelerate like it should. It's weird, I know I've downshifted this thing before trying to slow me down, and it would downshift like any other car. Anyone else experience this?
Thank your self for ******* up your trans, and driving your car the wrong way
Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are lining up to race on a roll waiting for the trans to downshift on its own takes to long for someone who is determined to make there selves noticed you figured you would have thought about it from a prespective that you aren't looking at. Just because its not a manual dosn't mean you can't use the shifter. very ignorant comment IMO
Or

You drop down to your correct RPM for the car to down shift it self and not it like its been stolen

most autos like racing from a roll under 40mph
Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

damn mines finally dyin to : / i drive a lot in the hill country though so i use my gears a lot to slow myself down since my brakes get so damn hot can't wait to upgrade those to somethin better : /
Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mixerda
damn mines finally dyin to : / i drive a lot in the hill country though so i use my gears a lot to slow myself down since my brakes get so damn hot can't wait to upgrade those to somethin better : /
I've heard good things about those eBay brakes, they get good rep over at ClubGP.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R1CONCEPT! working great for me so far.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Well I guess this isn't the end of my transmission problems. Lately its been giving me quite a shudder on the 1-2 shift at anything above 1/2 throttle. I see there's a bulletin for this, and the fix is replacing the second gear clutch assembly. It's been doing this for a while, I figured maybe the new band would help, but apparently not.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

mines just the issues when I keep it down in the gears accels fine but once I let off the gas the RPM's drop(don't remember if ya'll said torque converter/clutches or what the issue was) ATM say I'm going downhill at about 65 or 70 comin up to a sharp curve if I drop from 3rd to 2nd the tranny catches then release over and over then have to use the wonderful factory brakes.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Launching!

That's exactly what mine was doing, except it wouldn't catch at all, it would just coast as if it was in neutral. The dealer said a broken band was the culprit.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well a shift kit and trans tune takes car of any undecided downshifts for mine... i just get the MPH within a range i know it will grab the gear i want when i stand on it. only time i ever have manually shifted it was a 10 mph rolling start in 1st gear so i could try to keep the tires on it. Ive got 30K on mine and its the quickest N/A one around and i beat on it often, but not abuse it.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Well a shift kit and trans tune takes car of any undecided downshifts for mine... i just get the MPH within a range i know it will grab the gear i want when i stand on it. only time i ever have manually shifted it was a 10 mph rolling start in 1st gear so i could try to keep the tires on it. Ive got 30K on mine and its the quickest N/A one around and i beat on it often, but not abuse it.
Thats how I have mine set-up.....shift kit and TCM tune wakes up these cars like no other.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

i think i had the most aggressive tune on mine. mildly strong shift kit and tune, the car spins 2nd every time and downshifts to 1st at 45 mph or less. sadly... i put the stock tune back on cuz i turn it in for lease turn in friday. my new monte woulnt be getting beat on like this one was lol
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when i had my '93 GP I fortified the transmission by shimming the accululators to the ful down position using door hinge bushings. Is this what you guys did?