LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

disabling DRL

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The background lights for your gauges will come on when the automatic lighting comes on. When the DRL are on the backlight won't come up. BUT if you turn your lights off automatic and turn the fog lights on the backlight will come on also. So if you've just started your car and you've pulled the fuses and the lights are still on go inside the car and see if the gauge lights are on. If they are on then the car thinks its dark outside. I can always tell when my Automatic lights turn on because everything lights up "steering wheel / dash / radio gets brighter "depending on how high you have the brightness of your dash lights"
Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're outside the car and don't know whether it's the automatic lights or DRL's look and see if your parking lights, side markers and tail lights are on. My auto lights turn on all the time when I pull into my garage.

I hate DRL's as well. I don't see how it's someone elses right to tell me I have to buy headlight bulbs more often(not at $30 a pair). there are tons of idiots on the road, and like so many people before me said, if they need lights to see a car in daylight then they shouldn't be driving.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Teching In

DRL's arent a safety feature for the middle of a sunny day. They are for the times when most people dont turn on lights and should. I swear at people all the time that dont have DRL's and dont have their lights on.

For example, overcast hazy days, early morning fog, light drizzle, etc. Maybe you guys live in places that dont see these conditions, but I have more than once tried to pass a person only to have to slam on my brakes and get back in quick because some idiot in a dark color car didnt have their lights on and I couldnt see them till they got closer.

And really....you will have to change the bulbs MAYBE one more time in the entire time you own your car. I had my 2000 grand prix for 6 years and just over 100,000 miles and never changed the bulbs and that had DRL's.

DRL's save lives and save accidents. Its stupid to remove them. Its like saying "Im gonna remove my seatbelts because I am a good driver and will never get in an accident."
Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, comparing seatbelts and DRL's is hardly even a close argument. And the people that don't want DRL's AREN'T the idiots that don't know when and when they should not use their lights. I for one know when I should use lights, so I don't need a system that's going to have my lights on at all times. I turn my lights on when the conditions warrant. If that means rain in the middle of the day then some form of my lights will be turned on. The argument here isn't that they shouldn't be put in cars since as you said some people are too dumb to know when they need lights. The argument is that those of us who know when to use our lights should have a way of turning them off. Which is what I do . I usually end up cursing people that DO have DRL's since those who have them but not automatic headlights are too dumb to know the difference between DRL's and normal headlights and go driving around at 11pm with just DRL's. And, besides, in my opinion, if it's that foggy or the conditions are that unfavorable, you shouldn't be passing people anyways. Not tryin to come off as a dick, just my opinion.

Last edited by 20SS07; 01-15-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Well said 20SS07!

When conditions warrant us intelligent drivers turn our lights on. Us intelligent drivers also don't pass in fog so thick you can't see oncoming traffic

I only wear my seatbelt while passing in the fog without my lights on. Joking.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

DRL's were designed and implemented after much research and testing of human reactions in different cases. More times than not, the car WITH the DRL's on was noticed than those without. It's just another way to keep drivers aware, that's all. Never were they meant to "save" people from having to turn their lights on...that's what these auto headlamp features are.

God forbid that fail...what will the idiots do then? Think they'll know how to turn the dial to get them on? I can see it now..."Hi, this is OnStar! How can i help?"........."It's dark out and I can't figure out how to turn the headlights on...can you do it for me?"
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
"Hi, this is OnStar! How can i help?"........."It's dark out and I can't figure out how to turn the headlights on...can you do it for me?"
Old 01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

So, about disabling DRLs....
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Long story short...Pull the fuse. If the still work afterward...IDKY.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha. If they still work afterwards you can still just turn the ****.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Buffalo, I almost pissed myself with the onstar comment.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mikeroot2
Buffalo, I almost pissed myself with the onstar comment.
I also found that ridiculously funny!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Well the DRLs are definetly still coming on. Weird. So are the fuses dummy fuses?? Not a big deal to turn the **** but one would think that without a fuse to complete the circuit the DRLs couldn't come on. But whatever, I guess life goes on!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

You know...now I'm wondering if pulling the fuse did anything. I THOUGHT I put stock bulbs back in during a troubleshooting effort when i had issues with the HIDs, and the fuse was out and no DRL's...but now I'm doubting myself and wondering if there is still power heading to the ballasts anyway.

Now, I'm too lazy to take it apart to test for power...so don't ask
Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I can attest that taking the fuse out does in fact work in my 07, but that's not saying it's the same way in the 06. But I believe he did say he had fuses in both spots where you and I Buff just had the single fuse. Again, not the end of the world if he just has to continue to turn the ****, but it does get you wondering why it's different in some of the cars.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, that whole "missing vs. extra fuse" deal has me baffled.