LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

disabling DRL

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disabling DRL

So I pulled both DRL fuses under the hood, but my DRL's still come on. On my '99 Monte Carlo there was 1 fuse and after pulling it I would have to turn on the headlights manually from then on. Is this true for the Impala or will the headlights still come on automatically when it gets dark afer pulling the fuses? If so that makes a little more sense but I swear the lights still come on during the day. How the hell is that even possible without the fuses?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

theres a thread about this in the 04+ section on club gp, its not as simple as the previous years (assuming your car is like mine) its in a thread about HIDs. too bad its not easier, the fogs would be fine drl in my opinion
Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Why does everyone want to do this....I don't get it? Someone explain the benefits.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2. Honestly it does help people see you better. I guess if you do not like them, you can always just turn the light *** to the left to turn off the lights.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turn my headlights off and turn on the fogs in day time driving :-\
Old 01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you arent playing with HIDs then i dont get it either. with HIDs there is a problem with the amount of the drl supplied power being different than the xenon lights prefer. i guess it burns them out quicker or they flicker or something. halogens dont require any special amount of power so the drl can work with half the power and not damage anything.

if your drl never turn on it saves you the trouble of turning them off to conserve the HIDs
Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled my fuse and they don't come on in my 07 SS. Now your auto headlights when it gets dark still will. Not that it matters even if the fuse doesn't work you can just turn the **** to turn them off. I hate DRL's, atleast in the headlights I wouldn't care if they were in the parking lights. I figure if someone needs lights on to see your car during the day they shouldn't be driving. I always run my parking lights and fogs when it's later in the day anyways. Before I pulled the fuse I got into the habit of turning the **** every time I started the car before I put my seatbelt on. Oh, and there should have only been 1 fuse for the DRL's. On the diagram it shows DRL1 and DRL2 however there should only be a fuse in the one. I know other people with 06's that have pulled it and it has worked. Was it dark enough for your auto headlights to activate and thats why they came on?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

My '06 has the DRL1 and DRL2 populated.

Pulled both, DRL's STILL come on. Retarded.

All of my '00x Series Impalas had the one fuse to pull and then no DRL's.

I too hate them, yes I turn them off or use the ambers and fogs.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm that's weird. I believe it was Buff who told me about the fuse thing in the first place and he has an 06 and IIRC he only had a fuse in DRL1. Not sure why some are different but it appears the ones with 2 fuses you can't just pull the fuse for this. But as we mentioned it's just as easy to turn the switch off. Atleast they gave us that much.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by deft
if you arent playing with HIDs then i dont get it either. with HIDs there is a problem with the amount of the drl supplied power being different than the xenon lights prefer. i guess it burns them out quicker or they flicker or something. halogens dont require any special amount of power so the drl can work with half the power and not damage anything.

if your drl never turn on it saves you the trouble of turning them off to conserve the HIDs
I still don't get it.....
Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some people just don't want their lights on all the time. Really just a matter of preference. If anything I don't get why people WOULD want them on all the time. Yea, they're only reduced power, but I'd rather not waste my bulbs being on constantly at all times when the car is on. Just like I wouldn't keep all the lights on in my house if I don't need them to see what I'm doing. And until they make them mandatory on all vehicles in the US then I don't think there's that much of an argument for the safety aspect. Do you REALLY need 2 small lights to see a 3500lb hunk of metal driving down the road. And in vehicles which have DRL but no automatic headlights for nighttime then they're almost worse for safety. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people driving around at night when it's completely dark out with just reduced power headlights on, no tailllights or anything else. That's just my opinion though I'm sure the DRL advocates will dissagree.

Last edited by 20SS07; 01-02-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, there was only one DRL fuse on the block under the hood. Pulled DRL1 b/c of my HID's and they don't come on during the day...(but they didn't come on with the low power to them in the first place, so it's not something to base effectiveness of pulling the fuse on).
Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Some people just don't want their lights on all the time. Really just a matter of preference. If anything I don't get why people WOULD want them on all the time. Yea, they're only reduced power, but I'd rather not waste my bulbs being on constantly at all times when the car is on. Just like I wouldn't keep all the lights on in my house if I don't need them to see what I'm doing. And until they make them mandatory on all vehicles in the US then I don't think there's that much of an argument for the safety aspect. Do you REALLY need 2 small lights to see a 3500lb hunk of metal driving down the road. And in vehicles which have DRL but no automatic headlights for nighttime then they're almost worse for safety. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people driving around at night when it's completely dark out with just reduced power headlights on, no tailllights or anything else. That's just my opinion though I'm sure the DRL advocates will dissagree.
Alright....its not as weird as I thought now that someone explained it. It is more of preference however; I understand the desire to turn them off...but if I don't have HIDs, I really don't care. As for the people without automatic headlights, those scare me the most....I drove my friend's Acura TL the other day (re-badged Honda POS) and it got dark, and the lights didn't come on. He had to show where to turn them on....thats chickenshit.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

Mine had a fuse in both the DRL1 and DRL2 locations and I pulled both. DRL's still come on. I don't understand why there are 2 fuses anyway, and how they could still come on without the fuses, but whatever. I personally hate DRL's and any person that can't see oncoming cars without DRL's shouldn't be driving anyway. Now when its foggy, dark, rainy, etc. I use my headlights and/or foglights as needed but on a clear sunny day I think they're pointless. And I really don't need automatic headlights either. I think I can judge when my headlights should be on and I'm able to reach over and turn a **** to turn them on. The only automated things I would want, which of course the Impala doesn't have, is automatic climate control and windshield wipers.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

I still don't understand why you had two fuses in there...same year as mine. Anywho. You sure it's not the auto lamps that are on at the time? It's possible you have a faulty sensor...?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I liked how they did it in the old Intrigues on the front markers, that would've been fine. or the fog lights...DRLs were a Canadian thing that made it's way down here.
Speaking of lights our side markers don't flash with the front markers?????
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Nope...they're just that..."side markers," not turn signals. When i did my headlight mod, i considered doing away with it permanently b/c of the warped reflector issue...but once i figured out the issue i left them alone. I still may eliminate it eventually...or do something cool with LED's if i can ever take the initiative and get it done.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It must be a -1000 up there. We got some wind yesterday gave us a windchill of 3. I had to fix my tail light s on the lobster as they wer letting water into the trunck and I was thinking I'd rather be inside! Being i'm sick and all...Usually if I gota bug in me I just get up and do it, but with shear reluctance. Yeah i'm wondering how anyone beside the car is going to know when we are changing lanes.....Hmm I might want to look into rewiring that.......
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

LOL. Not quite -1000* up here, but it's cold. Probably 15* out with negative windchills..but it will be 50 next week...so i'm looking forward to that.

I guess it could be done quite easily...modding the sidemarker to be a functional signal...but you'd need to eliminate the "sidemarker" function. There would be no way to safely get a dual-filament bulb in there, so you'd need to set the single 194 or whatever it is to blink when signaling and be off at all other times. Wouldn't be nearly as bright as the turnsignal, but that could possibly be remedied by a small LED bulb. But once you mess with LEDs, you need to address the "fast flash" issue they present.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Damn thats cold. I guess I'm spoiled by the California weather. Anything below 60 and I'm crying like a bitch!

I think I'm gonna wait for a sunny day and double check and make sure they are still coming on. I park in the garage so I guess its possible they could be coming on due to automatic lighting since the garage is always dark.