LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Couple questions on LS4...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
I shouldve said motor as that would help with aftermarket parts.

As for changing out the cam, thats easy on these cars, but there is not a cam made for the "LS4", only LS1,2,3,6,7.

Alot of guys with the old L67 motors have been putting cams in their cars by lowering the engine down and getting to it through the driving wheel well, just need to remove the wheel, brakes, etc.

As for Turbo, yeah anyone can slap on 5600.00 worth of turbo parts, but as most of us know, your going to need to either A: Beef up your tranny as these 4t65HD trannys do not last or B: Save up for a new tranny.

So, you can take the 5600 and then add probley another 2-3k in tranny parts just to make the car have that extra power.

Headers are easy, just need enough people to jump on the project to have the castings made.

As for parts, the only thing we could use from the LSx cars is rockers, springs, pushrods, etc. Because of the DOD, there is alot of work that would need to be done to make the LSx cams work and its really not worth it when the cam we have now is good enough, just add some 1.8 rockers with springs and tune. You will be on your way.
The motor is too long to tilt the cradle down and pull the cam through the passenger side wheel well like the L67 motor. The LS4 will require a cradle drop.

I will agree on the tranny. The question wasn't whether it was a good idea to modify the LS4, only what parts are available. The tranny parts are there as you know. I believe headers could be available for $1500 to $2000 and a month of downtime.

As for the cam, an LSx cam will physically fit, keeping lift below .590. The car should perform fine although tuning will have to be performed for both performance and driveability on DOD mode. Once again, not saying it is the best move. But I do believe it is doable. I believe someone willing to drop the cradle on these cars is serious enough to invest the time and money to get it to perform well. Heck, someone could take an LS4 cam and have it reground. That is how the L67 cams started. It just takes someone willing to spend the money and time to get it done.

Chip
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldve gotten everyone headers on this board for almost 1/2 that.

As for the L67 motors and Cams. That motor has been around forever and thats why there is a HUGE market for aftermarket parts for the L67 cars. As for the LS4 cars, its only been 4 production years and maybe into 5 before its done with. I really can not see anyone supporting it when something else will come out of it. Our only hope is that GM does keep it around for a few more years, and that would give people enought production years to justifie making after market parts for our cars. Including a soild cam just for our cars.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
As for the L67 motors and Cams. That motor has been around forever and thats why there is a HUGE market for aftermarket parts for the L67 cars. As for the LS4 cars, its only been 4 production years and maybe into 5 before its done with. I really can not see anyone supporting it when something else will come out of it. Our only hope is that GM does keep it around for a few more years, and that would give people enought production years to justifie making after market parts for our cars. Including a soild cam just for our cars.
No doubt this car will not have the numbers to achieve that popularity. I used the L67 as an example for cams to point out that people were regrinding cams early on, even before the true aftermarket had produced cams for sale. They were taking them to Comp Cams and having a custom grind done. L67 blanks were hard to come by. I would submit that if someone is wanting a cam for the LS4, a regrind (or using an LSx blank) is a possibility.

I agree that this motor will probably not have a long enough life to have stand alone aftermarket support.

Chip
Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1's were only around for about 4-5 years

we are halfway there!!!

(yeah i know i know, it's based more off a standard SBC then ours, but one can hope, haha)
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

I guess we're getting ready to learn how DOD will do with a regular LSx cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/842604-gonna-do-cam-install-soon.html

Chip
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChipC
I guess we're getting ready to learn how DOD will do with a regular LSx cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842604

Chip
Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing about the process and seeing the results.

Decisions, decisions - drop the engine and do a cam and some head work or jump ship to a G8? We'll see how painful the cam process is.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing about the process and seeing the results.

Decisions, decisions - drop the engine and do a cam and some head work or jump ship to a G8? We'll see how painful the cam process is.

I bet it'll be more pain before any gain at all.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's Tom for you guys though. Always wanting to go the extra mile to get things right and to try it.

I'm glad he's only 20 minutes from me.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Lifter valley cover mods

Well, I received a lifter valley cover in the mail a couple of days ago, and thought I'd get a start on trying to relocate the oil pressure sending unit.

Rather than trying to mill things down (which has been tried before, but didn't work out), my approach was to change the angle that the sensor mounts. Just cut the mounting boss at an angle, and rotated the top piece 180*. This achieved a 40* outward cant and retained all the threads for mounting the sending unit:

Couple questions on LS4...-valley-cover-001.jpg

I have a bit of grinding to do to add another couple of mm clearance, but my measurements indicate that this will clear a 90mm intake with a bit of room to spare. Just need to find someone who can weld aluminum in Edmonton who is willing to take on a real small job.

For those who are interested, this next pic shows the oil supply feed to the DOD solenoids inside the oil pressure sending unit mount:

Couple questions on LS4...-valley-cover-003.jpg

I'm going to hold off on doing much in the way of mods on the DOD connector until I get a manifold (probably several months away as I'm waiting for the new Weiand 'Street Warrior' to come out). That piece has two parts that clip together, so it will be possible to tear apart to splice in some wire extentions without too much trouble. I'll post up some pics when I get around to tearing that piece apart.

Oh, yeah. The spare cover was about $220 from a dealer in California (fully assembled with all solenoids, bolts, gaskets). Saved $300 over the price my dealer quoted, apparantly those buggers don't really want my business.

Quick Reply: Couple questions on LS4...