LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cleaning Stock SS wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Stock SS wheels

For cleaning my wheels, I use just soap and water. I will occasionally wax them with magquiars gold class (since they must some sort of clear coat on to protect them from salt, etc.) I was just wondering what everyone does to clean and keep their stock ss wheels looking nice?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Used to use wheel cleaner of some sort now I just use the soap I use for the rest of the car. I don't wax or polish them or anything. I just make sure I dry them off good so I don't get water spots and they look fine.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Used to use wheel cleaner of some sort now I just use the soap I use for the rest of the car. I don't wax or polish them or anything. I just make sure I dry them off good so I don't get water spots and they look fine.
Yea thats what i used to do, but i have this phobia of the clearcoat (or whatever is protecting it) coming off and them looking bad, so I figure that I'd just wax them every once in a while to keep my nerves calm. lol

Last edited by pro_performer; 03-21-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I can't type lol
Old 03-21-2008, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use meguiars gold class car wash/shampoo... with specific brush for wheels - nice soft bristles... then like you, occasionally will give them a coat of wax...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-21-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

The place that installed my winter tires f***** up my wheels pretty good, so I don't take care of them anymore . I had no proof that they did, as I was in a hurry to get to a meeting and didn't look at the wheels before I left the place (or for 3 days thereafter).

I used to wash them with the same stuff as I did the car, with a clean MF mitt, and then dried them off. Since these are now "winter wheels," I don't so much mind the scratches on there. Had I not already gotten the 20s, I might have put up more of a fight with the manager of the Midas about getting all 4 replaced.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mothers Chrome Polish works beautifully for me.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think Black rims look the best on a black car.

I just use the hose at the car wash when I wash my car and then come home to put on wax, I use another product to clear anything on the OEM rims.

I cant wait to get some nice Black rims...
Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
mothers Chrome Polish works beautifully for me.
You are not supposed to use metal polish/cleaner on CC'd wheels... You may be doing more harm than good.

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 03-22-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Honestly I never really 'clean' them unless they're dirty as hell. After washing and drying my car I take a wet towel and wipe them down. This takes 99% of the dirt off usually. When I had aftermarket wheels I would take more time but with the stockers as long as they're clean thats good enough for me. I mean its not like people are gonna be looking at them anyway.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Stock SS wheels