Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound clips?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

According to one of his last post that was the plan, he figured with the experience he gained he could do a cam swap in roughly 4 hours. So as I read what he said thats what he did, swapped back in the original cam!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06WHITEMCSS
According to one of his last post that was the plan, he figured with the experience he gained he could do a cam swap in roughly 4 hours. So as I read what he said thats what he did, swapped back in the original cam!
I thought he had planned to change the RRs out to factory and see how that helped. Oh well
Old 10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

sad
Old 10-12-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neilownz
sad
Truly sad, but i think what happened is he got a good deal on a early LS2 cam, which was a bit timid to today's standards. I really belive if you got a 05 up cam an then did your valve height to get your push rod height you could get some really usable mid range torque. And as I read it he changed back to the stock cam.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
You ditched the LS6 cam?
Yup.

Purely trial and error and made too much noise and provided little to no gain.

Went to 100% stock valvetrain parts aside from the springs and it was still noisy. All back to stock and the injectors make more noise than the engine now.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I feel pretty bad for you man. At least you tried, though.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

so basically its not worth putting in the ls6 cam? cause i just got one
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't say I feel bad, but, then again I can say thanks for the learning experience.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I have the car torn down right now, tomorrow hopefully the seals/gaskets/lifters come in and have the car up again by tomorrow night or Tuesday at the latest.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

So you upgraded a bunch of stuff, made some power, and were unhappy at the noise o_0 I'm speechless lol Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices... Could've tried a thicker oil to quite things down, and I bet (as you mentioned) better exhaust would've helped the torque come back.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you upgraded a bunch of stuff, made some power, and were unhappy at the noise o_0 I'm speechless lol Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices... Could've tried a thicker oil to quite things down, and I bet (as you mentioned) better exhaust would've helped the torque come back.
Guy i have a 700 hp fun car, this is one of my DD's and the old lady drives it from time to time i cant have it making more noise than the 232/232 113 lsa cammed Camaro. This noise wasnt the normal rocker clatter, it was coming from the guts of the engine. Now the DOD doesnt seem to work right either, alot of cycling in and out and the thing noses over a bit when into 4 cyl mode, prolly wrecked them special lifters now too.

I was hoping this factory cam upgrade would net a nice kick in the jones w/o much trade off but didnt do **** for e/t or trap speeds, i could tell it gained power under the curve, thats about it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

better take it in for warranty service
Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilownz
better take it in for warranty service
36,200 miles lol This car doesnt make me want to slit my wrists as bad as the camaro does sometime though!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I can tell ya them dod lifters are 86 bucks EACH form the stealership. When I heard that I made my final decision to do the cam swap and replace all 16 lifters. The cam new was 399.99 and lifters were 229.95 new, I could have just replaced the 1 dead lifter and replace the spring retainer on the other lifter but one head had to come off anyway. Dead lifter was on the rear head the bitch of the two so I said to hell with it time for the cam swap I've been wanting to do. Still haven't received the gaskets yet but they are somewhere in Austin lol.

As far as the noise prob was your dod lifters, I know in the haynes manual the dod lobes have I think .012(don't quote me on this number book is downstairs atm) extra lift to make up for slack in the dod lifters.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mixerda
I can tell ya them dod lifters are 86 bucks EACH form the stealership. When I heard that I made my final decision to do the cam swap and replace all 16 lifters. The cam new was 399.99 and lifters were 229.95 new, I could have just replaced the 1 dead lifter and replace the spring retainer on the other lifter but one head had to come off anyway. Dead lifter was on the rear head the bitch of the two so I said to hell with it time for the cam swap I've been wanting to do. Still haven't received the gaskets yet but they are somewhere in Austin lol.

As far as the noise prob was your dod lifters, I know in the haynes manual the dod lobes have I think .012(don't quote me on this number book is downstairs atm) extra lift to make up for slack in the dod lifters.
Yours lost a DOD lifter? What problems did it exibit?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Guy i have a 700 hp fun car, this is one of my DD's and the old lady drives it from time to time i cant have it making more noise than the 232/232 113 lsa cammed Camaro. This noise wasnt the normal rocker clatter, it was coming from the guts of the engine. Now the DOD doesnt seem to work right either, alot of cycling in and out and the thing noses over a bit when into 4 cyl mode, prolly wrecked them special lifters now too.

I was hoping this factory cam upgrade would net a nice kick in the jones w/o much trade off but didnt do **** for e/t or trap speeds, i could tell it gained power under the curve, thats about it.
Well see, your sig doesn't reflect a 700hp car, so how was I to know I figured this was your DD toy and something you wanted 400~HP in. I didn't mean to come across as a dick. As for DOD, I thought you were getting better MPG with the LS6 cam vs stock cam doing DOD?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well see, your sig doesn't reflect a 700hp car, so how was I to know I figured this was your DD toy and something you wanted 400~HP in. I didn't mean to come across as a dick. As for DOD, I thought you were getting better MPG with the LS6 cam vs stock cam doing DOD?
But being the DOD is not working right i have it in V8 mode now getting about 21mpg AVG on the highway with the stocker cam, it would avg over 25 with all highway with the DOD working.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

basically a whole lot of noise that came form the rear. When I first put the rockers on they all went to zero lash just fine no problems. As soon as I started the car....you know what, I'll upload the vid of when I had the car running with the dead lifter and update this post with a link here in a min.

wow you know what I just noticed.....even though we have the same exact motor. we have different cams.... well different design of the same cam if that makes any sense. here's a pic comparison of my stock cam vs new cam. then look at yours. yours looked stock out of a ls6 mine doesn't look like anything, come to think of it when I had to remove the timing chain gear was one huge bolt in the center of it instead of the 3 small bolts....mmm I'm gonna have to get a ls6 timing gear, that's gonna delay me some god damn it...lol

mine

yours

damn you can see the duration difference between factory cam and the new cam on my pic heh. hell looking more at the pics the bolts used to hold that cam cover plate are dif on mine as well. What the **** did they change form 06-07 damn lol.

I have to do a few things first but when I get home i'll upload the vi of the dead lifter noise for ya and update this post.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is stone quiet, i think it might be a DOD tune issue then with mine.

You will HAVE to get a special cam for yours! you cant get that special timing gear for the 3 bolt style. Mine just has one large C for a reluctor (identical to LS2), yours has many breaks in it.

As far as i know you can get the single bolt ones from COMP. I have an LS2 cam with the single bolt laying in my basement from an 07 C6.

Quick Reply: My ambitious project