LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor tear down pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm1234
Awesome work! Keep it up, and keep posting pictures! I don't think I recall reading; are you going to do any head work?
I dont think i'm gonna do any work on the heads for now besides have them checked for warping and get all the valve seals checked. I'd like to save up for an LE2 package next year but who know's i still gotta put a 9in or S60 in it and get a built tranny and cage. If i pull the motor again it will go back in as a 383 or 396 built for the giggle gas but thats a long way down the road. For now no major headwork will be done.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Will get more pics this weekend
Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya know, I said the exact same thing when I was in your situiation... went in to get the heads freshened up, and $800 later I left the machine shop
Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryle
ya know, I said the exact same thing when I was in your situiation... went in to get the heads freshened up, and $800 later I left the machine shop
Well my budget def doesn't allow that lol. But i'm gonna price a little port and polish, I'd like to just leave them be and have LE work his magic on them next year, We'll see that happens lol. What did you have done to your heads btw?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
I dont think i'm gonna do any work on the heads for now besides have them checked for warping and get all the valve seals checked. I'd like to save up for an LE2 package next year but who know's i still gotta put a 9in or S60 in it and get a built tranny and cage. If i pull the motor again it will go back in as a 383 or 396 built for the giggle gas but thats a long way down the road. For now no major headwork will be done.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Will get more pics this weekend
I'd just go ahead and put new valve seals on it, for a little added insurance. Might as well put some new parts in while it's apart anyways. Plus, new valve seals are only about $35.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will prolly end up puttin new seals in but gonna have em checked to see if they really dont need too, this is still a budget build lol
Old 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the cost also included the new parts shims, Springs, locks, retainers manley race flow valves. The machine work consisted of a 5 angle valve job, milled deck, clean, port and polish. Unfortunately, I never got any flow numbers from them, so I plan on taking the heads off this winter and finding out for sure what they flow.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the cost also included the new parts shims, Springs, locks, retainers manley race flow valves. The machine work consisted of a 5 angle valve job, milled deck, clean, port and polish. Unfortunately, I never got any flow numbers from them, so I plan on taking the heads off this winter and finding out for sure what they flow.
Well i already have the new springs, locks and retainers so we'll see how much the valve job, cleaned, and port and polish is. I dont really need to mill the decks cause i got the .026 gaskets so that will bump me up to about 11.1 but we'll see what they say I may mill them a little bit. Who knows what i'll end up doing haha
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, mine was a budget build as well, I bought the car for $750. Took out a loan for 2500 against the title and sunk it into the car. I found a few deals on here that helped make it more affordable, but it is still lacking a good tune.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to mill my heads... the reason the car was so cheap was because some idiot tried to repair a blown head gasket, and took a wire wheel to the aluminum heads to remove the gasket... so there were all kinds of divots in the heads. the machine shop only took off .010 so it's not that much a difference. I used the felpro gasket when I rebuilt the engine, but I plan on replacing it with the mr gasket head gaskets.

A little more compression never hurt anyone
Old 12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to mill my heads... the reason the car was so cheap was because some idiot tried to repair a blown head gasket, and took a wire wheel to the aluminum heads to remove the gasket... so there were all kinds of divots in the heads. the machine shop only took off .010 so it's not that much a difference. I used the felpro gasket when I rebuilt the engine, but I plan on replacing it with the mr gasket head gaskets.

A little more compression never hurt anyone
good things the genious didnt go any deeper than that haha. But ya i'm gonna see what i can do for a few hundred bucks at the machine shop, I dont really want to spend more than $250-300 bucks on the heads as i'd like to do le2's eventually but i just got a new job with a good raise so i will be makin more money and that means my car gets new toys haha. Still got alot of other stuff to buy though, like the rest of the gaskets, cam, rockers, headers, lockin header bolts, either greg welds or weld prostars, new slicks for my prostars, tune, LCA's, torque arm and other suspension stuff. I got a preety long list i still would like to have before next season. I want 11's bad....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear ya bud... If I could I would be doing much more with suspension, but don't really have the money right now. That and since I bought the car unfortunately, I took a pay cut. so getting toys doesn't really happen right now. I'm actually trying to save money to move from the chi to DFW area Texas... Then maybe after that the toys can come
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i got bored tonight so i figured i'd get off my *** and do some work on the car, so i got a few things done like putting my comp eng 3way adj drag shocks, got the crank balancer off and got the opti off. Gotta figure out which puller i need and get the crank hub pulled out then pull off the timing chain cover and get the chain and cam out then she is done gettin torn down. I took a few pics before the camera died so here they are...

New shocks-

Opti and balancer off-

The pile of parts is gettin bigger and bigger-

Hoping to get the cam out on saturday and get some things painted up and clean up the engine bay as much as i can... Head gaskets and head bolts should be here tomorrow so i'll get some pics of those up tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

Keep them photos coming heavily! I almsot got dejavu from one of them photos.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Just wanted to clear up any misconception about the cc503. Revving to 6250 RPM is about all that cam needs... (it falls dead on it's face after that). And that is not HIGH revving for a stock shortblock by any means. I ran that cam for 20k miles or more in my stock shortblock.

Either way, I don't dislike the hotcam and have seen some cars do very well with it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bombebomb
Keep them photos coming heavily! I almsot got dejavu from one of them photos.
haha, will do. I'll get pics of the headbolts and gaskets if they come in today.

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Just wanted to clear up any misconception about the cc503. Revving to 6250 RPM is about all that cam needs... (it falls dead on it's face after that). And that is not HIGH revving for a stock shortblock by any means. I ran that cam for 20k miles or more in my stock shortblock.

Either way, I don't dislike the hotcam and have seen some cars do very well with it.
Thanks for clearing that up but i already bought the hot cam springs so i think i'm just gonna go with the hot cam, i still have to put a 9in in and a built tranny then after that i'm just gonna pull the motor and stroke it with all forged internals so i'll go alot bigger then.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Stock rear will take a good beating from an automatic... I wouldn't spend the $$ on a 9" till you really need it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm wanting to build this too be bullit-proof but the 9in wont come for prolly close to a year, so we'll see. I know the 10-bolt should be fine but i just want to know it wont break
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Launching!

I remeber having both my heads milled (decked) for $50 when I had my 94 formula. .01 is the max you can mill them though. With stock gaskets it was a little over 11:1. I also
had the hot cam and springs (no rr's) and I noticed a nice increase in power as well as sound after the head work.

Your valve seals are 13years old, the heads are off, the spings are comming off. replace them biotches! Cheap!

Also, it looks like you bought used springs? Have them tested when you take your heads in just for peice of mind. You dont want to skimp on valve terrain, but you know that.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hope i dont have to mill the heads, the car never overheated to i dont think they warped. I'm plannin on gettin the valve seals replaced for sure and will make sure the springs are good to go also.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPS Guy dropped off a nice box with some goodies today

Also i picked up some paint for the intake manifold at autozone. Pictured is my new ARP head bolts and Mr. Gasket .026 head gaskets (p/n 5716)...

Close up of the head bolts-

I love new parts haha. This weekend gonna pull the crank hub off and get the timing chain and cover out then out comes the stock cam. Also gonna clean up alot of stuff and throw some paint on whatever i can.

Quick Reply: Motor tear down pictures