LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Elbow and air foil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elbow and air foil?

CRT powdercoated elbow and a polished air foil for $80 on ebay. Is it worth getting?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally I'd just put the money towards something else.. But they do make under the hood look a bit better.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can purchase an ls1 lid for that price and actually have a mod that is performance worthy...
Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
you can purchase an ls1 lid for that price and actually have a mod that is performance worthy...
I don't see any reason the LS1 air intake is better than an LT1 CAI, but maybe I'm missing something. The only reason I see in doing the LS1 airbox conversion was if you wanted to do a whole front end conversion and use an LS1 SS hood.

As far as the elbow though, if you want a new elbow go for it. If you're getting it for performance, you won't see much. You may gain a few HP with the air foil, but you can buy those used for like $20.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW i've heard the LS1 lid will only work on a camaro with a stock hood. A firebird/TA would require a ram air hood, and if your gonna do that you might as well just get the correct LT1 WS6 airbox
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard the long thing that comes out of the elbow is called a "silencer", so does that mean an elbow will change the sound a little?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont know that the LS lid is much better than the LT design you dont know much.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought that exact same one. It's a good piece and the black powder coat is nice. It cleans up the engine bay quite well. Go for it.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id put the $80 towards something else. save it for an EWP
Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slomarao
If you dont know that the LS lid is much better than the LT design you dont know much.
So would you like to explain to me how an LS1 airbox is going to show greater gains than an LT1 CAI? Because your post explained absolutely nothing. The only reason I can think of is because it is alot more like ram air but at the same time it is also alot closer (so warmer) to the engine bay. I've talked to someone who did it and he said he didn't see any track gains.

Originally Posted by 96blackta
I heard the long thing that comes out of the elbow is called a "silencer", so does that mean an elbow will change the sound a little?
Most people take the silencer off the stock elbow anyway and plug it with a shampoo or deodorant cap. I don't think you'll notice much of a sound change though.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Counted Out
So would you like to explain to me how an LS1 airbox is going to show greater gains than an LT1 CAI? Because your post explained absolutely nothing. The only reason I can think of is because it is alot more like ram air but at the same time it is also alot closer (so warmer) to the engine bay. I've talked to someone who did it and he said he didn't see any track gains.

Most people take the silencer off the stock elbow anyway and plug it with a shampoo or deodorant cap. I don't think you'll notice much of a sound change though.
well if the person you talked to did not see a gain there would definately be an issue! http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/ls1-li...k-camaro-hood/
i had Lt1 cai's prior and the moroso had the least gain,the K&N was far more superior then i did the lid conversion and picked up 1.5mph comparison was done at the track same day.so when you compare the price of a CAI,elbow,air foil and overall performance the lid wins hands down!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if the person you talked to did not see a gain there would definately be an issue! http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/ls1-li...k-camaro-hood/
i had Lt1 cai's prior and the moroso had the least gain,the K&N was far more superior then i did the lid conversion and picked up 1.5mph comparison was done at the track same day.so when you compare the price of a CAI,elbow,air foil and overall performance the lid wins hands down!
Have you looked at a K&N and Moroso side by side? There's no reason either one of them should be "far more superior" than the other.

As far as the LS1 lid goes, that's good to hear. But I'd still like to see some dyno numbers.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

who gives two ***** about dyno numbers,it is an instrument for tunning!
GO to the track,that will tell you what works!

K&N and Moroso side by side DO NOT resemble one another with the exception of the radiator dimple
i stand by my statement, especially since i have used the K&N,moroso,home made,stock w/cut out face and Ls1 Lid (SLP with FRAM paper filter infact)

LID FOR THE WINlol
Old 11-24-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

who gives two ***** about dyno numbers,it is an instrument for tunning!
GO to the track,that will tell you what works!

K&N and Moroso side by side DO NOT resemble one another with the exception of the radiator dimple
i stand by my statement, especially since i have used the K&N,moroso,home made,stock w/cut out face and Ls1 Lid (SLP with FRAM paper filter infact)

LID FOR THE WINlol
The reason I say dyno numbers is because the gain is so little that with track times its hard to be accurate - I'm not saying dyno's are 100% accurate by any means.

But at the track alot of variables come into play, including bringing a human into the mix. By that I mean maybe the first run was a bad run; maybe the second was a great run; etc. There's just alot more variables when it comes to a drag pass than there is on a dyno.

But I do agree with you, the numbers at the track are what matters.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

The reason I say dyno numbers is because the gain is so little that with track times its hard to be accurate - I'm not saying dyno's are 100% accurate by any means.

But at the track alot of variables come into play, including bringing a human into the mix. By that I mean maybe the first run was a bad run; maybe the second was a great run; etc. There's just alot more variables when it comes to a drag pass than there is on a dyno.

But I do agree with you, the numbers at the track are what matters.
i gotcha bro,
to be honest with you and everyone else the lid was the least expensive mod i have ever done to my Z infact i spent 2hrs along with 50.00 to do it.
used Slp lid and Ls1 bellow 30.00
new Fram filter 10.00
1 small sheet of metal 10.00
opposed to a
used cai 100.00-150.00
elbow 45.00-75.00
plus this is straight thru no 90° bends and much shorter for air to travel..
Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

I will second the Lid being a gain..shorter more direct Intake.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i gotcha bro,
to be honest with you and everyone else the lid was the least expensive mod i have ever done to my Z infact i spent 2hrs along with 50.00 to do it.
used Slp lid and Ls1 bellow 30.00
new Fram filter 10.00
1 small sheet of metal 10.00
opposed to a
used cai 100.00-150.00
elbow 45.00-75.00

plus this is straight thru no 90° bends and much shorter for air to travel..
CAI's go for more around $50 if you look around, and the elbow isn't needed. And it only took me 15 minutes to put on.

But as far as the rest goes, you got me.

Originally Posted by the_merv
I will second the Lid being a gain..shorter more direct Intake.
Wouldn't that only matter when you first start the car? Once you go WOT and the air starts flowing in, it should be pretty much the same. I'm not trying to argue with you at all, just trying to understand more.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Junkie

all this debate is not really helping OPs original question!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

all this debate is not really helping OPs original question!
Yes it is. He asked if it was worth $80 for the elbow and we are both showing him other options in a similar price range - making it easier for him to decide.

Stop trying to get us in trouble.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

He's asking if an Elbow is a good deal.. and then the Lid came up, so maybe the OP would have an interest in reading about the Lid.

Wouldn't that only matter when you first start the car? Once you go WOT and the air starts flowing in, it should be pretty much the same. I'm not trying to argue with you at all, just trying to understand more.
The reason the Lid works better is because it's a shorter Intake, and the air has to travel less, and straighter. That Elbow plus the atleast 12 more inches of Ducting actually hinders air flow. The higher RPM you get, the harder it will be for the Engine to get air in.

My Lid setup is appx. 12" long at the longest point from the Throttle Body to the Filter, and 4" wide at the smallest point, so you see how it can flow alot of air.

Quick Reply: Elbow and air foil?