LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals?

i just got my LPPs in and going to install them soon..was thinking of ditching the y pipe and going x pipe true duals. my questions are

what kinda mufflers you guys goin with that run TD. i was thinkin SLP LM1s because i had that on one of my old cars with a y. i liked it and was thinkin of tring it with tds.

also anybody getting them over the axel? was goin to get a panhard bar relocation kit anybody else do this or have pics of td over axels?

thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93lt1M6z
i just got my LPPs in and going to install them soon..was thinking of ditching the y pipe and going x pipe true duals. my questions are

what kinda mufflers you guys goin with that run TD. i was thinkin SLP LM1s because i had that on one of my old cars with a y. i liked it and was thinkin of tring it with tds.

also anybody getting them over the axel? was goin to get a panhard bar relocation kit anybody else do this or have pics of td over axels?

thanks
TD's over the axle is a pretty penny.. that money could certainly be used else where im sure..

i have ms4 cam.. pacesetter LT's, custom bent 2.5 inch X-pipe with 1 chamber race flowmasters... i paid 402.50$ for my entire exhaust (all brand new)..

ill give you a couple of vids to see what it sounds like..

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531115.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531107.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531024.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531026.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531071.flv

in my opinion 1 chambers are the only way to go.. i think bullets and stuff like that sound like total ****.. they are loud, but thats about it... my setup is quiet compared to most on the outside, but just as loud on the outside.. and the tone is 100X's better.. again, my opinion..
Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, you can get knock off 1 chamber race flowmasters (sound just as good as the real ones for 45$ each..

real ones are 100$ each..

the ones i have on my car are true ones.. but if i would have known about the knock offs i would have gone with them..
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

i like how yours sounds...only thing is in pa you have to have exhaust exiting outside the car..or i wouldn't care. i can put my inspecion stickers on it but don't need cops up my *** all the time so i need it to go out the back
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
BTW, you can get knock off 1 chamber race flowmasters (sound just as good as the real ones for 45$ each..

real ones are 100$ each..

the ones i have on my car are true ones.. but if i would have known about the knock offs i would have gone with them..
You can get 'em cheaper than that. I got both of mine for $60shipped to my door. Luckily I stumbled across the knock-offs while looking for the real ones on eBay. lol. I ran my piping under the axle. I'll try and take some pics and get 'em posted soon. In the vid, it's before I had the mufflers moved, so I didn't have very much ground clearance. Now, since I got the mufflers moved back, the lowest part of my exhaust is the headers and front of the x-pipe. Then, the piping is angled up and hugs the bottom of the car all the way back. Here's what my bolt-on only LT1 sounds like with Pacesetter LT's, Jegs 2.5" universal x-pipe, and knock off Flowmaster single chambers sounds like.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...ust_192864.htm
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

i like how yours sounds...only thing is in pa you have to have exhaust exiting outside the car..or i wouldn't care. i can put my inspecion stickers on it but don't need cops up my *** all the time so i need it to go out the back
got ya, could always do like spence did and run them under axle..
Originally Posted by tspence45
You can get 'em cheaper than that. I got both of mine for $60shipped to my door. Luckily I stumbled across the knock-offs while looking for the real ones on eBay. lol. I ran my piping under the axle. I'll try and take some pics and get 'em posted soon. In the vid, it's before I had the mufflers moved, so I didn't have very much ground clearance. Now, since I got the mufflers moved back, the lowest part of my exhaust is the headers and front of the x-pipe. Then, the piping is angled up and hugs the bottom of the car all the way back. Here's what my bolt-on only LT1 sounds like with Pacesetter LT's, Jegs 2.5" universal x-pipe, and knock off Flowmaster single chambers sounds like.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...ust_192864.htm
that exhaust is perfect.. not too loud, not too quiet! perfect man!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you want LM1 resonators..save yourself the money and just run straight pipes.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got ya, could always do like spence did and run them under axle..

that exhaust is perfect.. not too loud, not too quiet! perfect man!
Thanks man. I put a decent amount into it, and searched pretty hard to find some good deals. Luckily, it turned out just the way I wanted. You shoulda seen the big ole **** eatin grin on my face when I fired it up for the first time after picking it up from the shop, and the whole trip home. lol. I'll never run a Y-pipe again.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

i would love to see how ya ran it under the axle. any scraping problems?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

my x-pipe with 17 inch flo-pro twisters

Run under the axle. Keep in mind Im lowered with strano springs. I still have yet to scrape the under the axle part. Ive scraped the collectors/mufflers on speed bumps but not the under the axle part.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tspence45
Thanks man. I put a decent amount into it, and searched pretty hard to find some good deals. Luckily, it turned out just the way I wanted. You shoulda seen the big ole **** eatin grin on my face when I fired it up for the first time after picking it up from the shop, and the whole trip home. lol. I'll never run a Y-pipe again.
i bet man.. sounds freaking sweet!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I live in PA too but I have mine dumped under the axle. Several of my Mustang buddies and one of my F-Bodies friends all have dumped exhaust with no issues with cops. I'm running a Summit 2.5" Universal Kit w/ Dynomax Bullets and I love it. Sounds pretty wicked in real life, basically like nascar on the inside and a 60's muscle car on the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqYA...e=channel_page
didn't at all capture how loud it is but you get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171FhmXJHx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP0qS...eature=channel

Last edited by StealthFormula; 12-18-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

with them run under the axle you really shouldn't have clearance problems because it is right in line with your wheels. if you have 2" of clearance you will always have 2" of clearance unlsess you run over something that is only under your car and not your tires. to run it over the rear like i did you have to have a PHB relocation bracket. here is a pic of mine.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

where in pa are you form stealth? maybe ill just dump them then. but if there shouldn't be any issues ill go under the axle. still have to put the headers on it so i have some time yet.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

where in pa are you form stealth? maybe ill just dump them then. but if there shouldn't be any issues ill go under the axle. still have to put the headers on it so i have some time yet.
Not all that far from you...I'm in the Souderton/Telford area, between Quakertown and Lansdale.

It depends who you have to the job but a place that knows what they are doing could definetly make it so it goes under the axle. The place I had to mine is TT Performance in Northern Jersey and they could do that over the axle on the passengers side no problem but it will cost you some $$$. You could always just dump it and then take it out the back if/when you get tired of it or get **** from the cops.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

can't go wrong with dynomax bullets!

heres mine

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/l...art_179977.htm
Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MadMike 97 Z28
can't go wrong with dynomax bullets!

heres mine

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/l...art_179977.htm
no offense to you by me saying this...

i hate bullets... i think its the cheap way to go... they dont have a deep tone AT ALL.. it just makes it LOUD is all..

but i will say yours sounds better than a lot i have heard with bullets..
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

no offense to you by me saying this...

i hate bullets... i think its the cheap way to go... they dont have a deep tone AT ALL.. it just makes it LOUD is all..

but i will say yours sounds better than a lot i have heard with bullets..
none taken.

but,

videos are only as good as the camera that shoots them but it has a good tone just hard to tell in a vid where the car is only at 1500rpm max. to me bullets take all the rasp out of the exhaust (makes it sound like a race car instead of a truck with glass packs)
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MadMike 97 Z28
none taken.

but,

videos are only as good as the camera that shoots them but it has a good tone just hard to tell in a vid where the car is only at 1500rpm max. to me bullets take all the rasp out of the exhaust (makes it sound like a race car instead of a truck with glass packs)
that is true.... my car sounds nothing like what it does in real life on here..

i asked a buddy that LOOOOOVES the way my car sounds if he liked this exhaust setup (played a clip i had of mine).. and he said it sounded like absolute ****.. hahaha.... i told him and he swore up and down there was no way in hell that it was my exhaust.. hahahahaha

i think Xpipes take more rasp out than the actual mufflers.. with my 1 chambers have absolutely no rasp..
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOVBmj4NTYE

this is a better video of what 3" dynomax bullets sound like from inside the car

Quick Reply: true duals?