LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This can't be good...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy jesus christ! thats horrible. what set up are you running to break a spring like that ?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you over rev it,coil bind or something else?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speed Density
HOly **** I have never seen a pushrod come threw a cover, wow.

I hope nothing got into the cylinder and you can fix it somewhta easily, good luck.
x2...thats crazy man. Hope it comes back together easy for ya
Old 12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

i missed it as well damn
Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles did you have on that set of valve springs?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Just not looking forward to draining the coolant, disconnecting EVERYTHING, pulling the intake and acc. bracket then everything else.
Just a FYI to save you some time. You can remove the alternator and unbolt the two power steering pump bolts, then get in and remove the two bolts that hold the accessory bracket to the head. That is all you need to do. No need to take everything apart.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

crap!!how high are you spinning your motor??

good luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

haha random little rod sticking threw the cover
Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are those comp 918s? If so do you know the batch number? If they are an older set Comp Cams in has a warranty for damages caused by bad batches of their springs.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

WOW, this thread is getting more responses than I thought!

The stock PCM rev limiter is still engaged so even when I let it run all out, it doesn’t pass that. It’s rare lately that I let it spool up like that but there’s been a few times.

I’ve had this setup for I’d say two and a half years, there’s about 35,000 miles on it. Many trips to New Jersey, one trip into Canada, it splits daily driver duties with my work van.

The valve train gear (cam, pushrods, rockers, springs, locks, etc.) is from Comp Cams, it came as a package from the good fellas at Advanced Induction along with the heads & intake.

The valve in question is stuck and doesn’t rotate. It’s bent. Hopefully, it didn’t hit or damage the piston.

The work is gonna wait until after the holidays as I have a guest visiting. I might be able to scrape together the bucks to fix the head, all new springs and any other nick-knacks I might need to R&R the heads & intake. If the piston took a hit, it’ll need more work and money of which I don’t have now and may not have for a while.

As far as any warranty from CC, I’d have to find the original invoice from AI and see exactly when I got it and what spring kit it is. I have a feeling it’s one that was affected but after all this time and miles driven, I doubt it there’ll be any coverage. At this point, my machine shop will decide what new springs to use, it’s a race shop and they do very good meticulous work and are well known in the Long Island area for their engines.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 12-25-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
WOW, this thread is getting more responses than I thought!

The stock PCM rev limiter is still engaged so even when I let it run all out, it doesn’t pass that. It’s rare lately that I let it spool up like that but there’s been a few times.

I’ve had this setup for I’d say two and a half years, there’s about 35,000 miles on it. Many trips to New Jersey, one trip into Canada, it splits daily driver duties with my work van.

The valve train gear (cam, pushrods, rockers, springs, locks, etc.) is from Comp Cams, it came as a package from the good fellas at Advanced Induction along with the heads & intake.

The valve in question is stuck and doesn’t rotate. It’s bent. Hopefully, it didn’t hit or damage the piston.

The work is gonna wait until after the holidays as I have a guest visiting. I might be able to scrape together the bucks to fix the head, all new springs and any other nick-knacks I might need to R&R the heads & intake. If the piston took a hit, It’ll need more work and money of which I don’t have now and may not have for a while.

As far as any warranty from CC, I’d have to find the original invoice from AI and see exactly when I got it and what spring kit it is. I have a feeling it’s one that was affected but after all this time and miles driven, I doubt it there’ll be any coverage. At this point, my machine shop will decide what new springs to use, it’s a race shop and do very good meticulous work and are well known in the Long Island area for their engines.

Well I hope you get it covered being those springs were possibly apart of the bad batch..I had a bad set but found out before I installed them...sucks man. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Are those comp 918s? If so do you know the batch number? If they are an older set Comp Cams in has a warranty for damages caused by bad batches of their springs.
how do i check the batch# where is located
Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ It's located on the box the springs came in. It says the batch number on a white sticker / area on the side. Search bad batch 918 and you'll find all of the batch numbers and other info on it.

------------------------------------------------------

If your valve seized in the guide causing the spring to break I doubt they would cover it. At 35,000 miles you should at the very minimum had the pressure checked on the springs. Once you hit that level it's a good idea to replace them. They may have just been old and lost their pressure or cracked under fatigue.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The heads were assembled by Advanced Induction, long ago, the box the springs came in stayed with them.

At 35,000 miles you should at the very minimum had the pressure checked on the springs.

I didn’t think with quality springs that I should be concerned with occasionally checking their pressures. I’m assuming at this point that the failure was due to these springs being from that bad batch that CC had. If they are a bad batch set, I suppose I’m lucky they’ve lasted as long as they did.

I’m weighing all my possibilities at this time from pulling the heads, putting new springs in and rolling on to parting out the car and moving on to a LS Formula or even finding a decent 71 Monte Carlo in blue (of course!) to make my everyday ride. I’ve been through the gauntlet with this LT1 car and frankly I’m tired of all their issues.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

This makes me a bit nervous because I had my heads assembled by Advanced Induction around April of 2006, and I have the same springs. The difference is I only have about 4,000 miles on them since this was done. I wonder if I should check into my springs being bad.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

wow..sorry to see and read about your issues.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

LS1EDDIE, you've dealt with AI and I'm sure you know as I do, they're stand up guys. If they need to stand behind anything, they will.

The CC spring problems aside (that surely affected any shop using them), I would still give the boys at Advanced Induction an A-number one rating.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

35K miles on springs with a performance cam says they were well overdo for inspection/replacement.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

I have to agree with Dwayne. You should be checking them at least every 15k miles. Just because springs are good doesn't mean they don't wear out. 15k miles isn't that often. Once a year if you drive your car A LOT.

edit: Just wanted to add that if you really have 35k miles on those springs then IMO neither Comp or AI is at fault in any way. Also, this problem has nothing to do with your motor being a LT1. If you want to play with go fast stuff, you are going to break things now and then. Go get a LS1 or a Ford, Mopar, whatever you want, they all break.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might consider nitrided 918s or equivalent, supposed to lengthen life a good bit.

Quick Reply: This can't be good...