LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 runs on ls1 computer using modded OPTI

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
"Q"
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt go through all the posts but correct me if im wrong it seems to me the opti is now just an elaborate cam position sensor letting the ls1 pcm know when to fire the coils and injectors?. Whatever it is its innovative and definatly outside the box thinking props to you sir.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well AKAFRED, i will be able to ship you off my opti in about 2 weeks as well. I have to go dig my way to the building and remove it (about 8ft of snow 40ft wide between me and the door). I am wondering if you can post up what we will need for wiring the coils and stuff, did you make your own harness or buy the plugs, cut them off a GM harness, etc. I would like to know how much work im in for before hand
Gary
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AKAFRED
we got 4" of snow today.. my car will be in the garage for a couple months still.
hah You live in Minnesota by any chance?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

we didnt get any snow here today? you get some down that way?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 AM
Launching!

I live in Canada

What I got from the wreakers

99 truck harness (used for PCM connectors and coil portion)
99 PCM
99 coils
99 MAF (larger than the lt1 MAF)
100$ total as I pulled it myself.

I removed everything from the PCM connectors then removed the entire coil portion from the bundle of wire on the floor keeping the ground positive wires long as possible.

Repined the coil portion back into the harness (I swapped the passenger and driver coil bundles as the PCM in the truck is on the driver’s side)

Pinned in the akafred signal converter and connected four wires

Pinned in the lt1 harnnes

Connected the coil ground and battery wires to the existing lt1 coil harness.

Started car

you obviously have to do all things involed with swapping the opti also.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default interested

AKAFred I am def. interested. I am just wainting to see some of the issues with the gauges ironed out, taxes and some nice weather. Keep up the good work. I am thinking that an 8000 rpm redline, stealth ram, and solid roller will be a BLAST.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Launching!

gauges shoudnt be a problem. i verified that they do function they will just need to be claibated. this should be no porblem with efilive as the tables exist for this function.

i have to reccomend that if you planing on doing this conversion buy efi live. i wont be able to support hp tuners in anyway. i also dont think hp tuners has all the needed tables for calibrating speedo, tach, injector bank assignments.

with out a copy of the software i cant really say how well hp tuners will work. but i have read of people having probelms calibrating gauges with this software where efi live just worked..

i will be running a COS5 on my car. when i get most of the bugs ironed out i will be more than happpy to share the file.. this won't be untill the spring thou..
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

I ran HPTuners for 5 years, and it has every option that efilive has, but a way better user interface and scanner. IMHO its a superior product. You saying you wont be able to support HPT just because you wont have a base file?
In that point i will be using HPTuners again as im more comfortable with it, and the ease of going to the SD 2 and 3bar programs is awesome, i will never use a MAF on any of my vehicles.
Sounds like that is going to be very easy, ill have to start getting the parts together right away. Like i said i will be sending you my opti in about 2 weeks, thanks
Gary
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

So once all is said and done.. what are we actually purchasing from you?

It looks to be the trigger/optical wheel, and a modified opti sensor? Basically sending our optis to you to be modified?

Also, will there be some type of housing for the optical sensor? I can't imagine it's safe to run open like that from the elements right?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Launching!

What I am saying is I don't and won't have hp tuners, also unlike efi live you can't download a trial.

Basically I have no way of verifying that you have the following requirements

Injector bank assignment <<< extremely important if running O2's
Speedo scaling pulses per ect
tach settings..

if you have those then you will be ok.. but you wont be able to email me and ask a question as i have never even seen the hp tuner interface.

also efi live does have 3 bar support plus COS is FREE unlike hp tuners.

the reason i went with efi live over hp tuner is the free cos and the fact that it seemed in most swap scenarios that the user had a easier time getting gauges to work.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Launching!

I am not certain on what I am doing to seal up the opti. For the few people I have already talked to I have an aluminum plate that seals up the hole in the optic middle plate.

I think when I go into production I will just reassemble the opti with the modified wheel and sensor as it's sealed fairly good from the factory...

I will also most likely provide a full aluminum cover plate that replaces the cap for an additional charge. it would have to be 3/16" to seal proper. i will get pricing asap.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Launching!

here is a render of the proposed aluminum cover this would go on inplace of the distributor cap

Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

this is pretty insane to say the least. Just wonder how much od a PITA it is to get it all to work right.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everytime you post I get more and more interested. I am just waiting on two things to become available - the CG LT1 converted HSR intake and the TFS 21* heads from AI.

This computer setup will be the icing on the cake that finally completes my build.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

I was working on the wiring conversion chart today and I don’t think the 93 guys will be to happy... seeing as they have batch fire and a bastard harness I don’t know if you will be able to re-pin... You most likely will have to go to a 94+ harness. There is the possibility that you could just re-pin most of the harness minus the injector portion and splice in the sequential portion out of the donor car. This will require more talent then the 94+ conversions...

here is a low quality small portion of the repin instructions.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I have interest in it, but Mine may be a mod for next winter, too many things to start swapping that in! I will try to keep checking this thread and see how they handle this summer!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a '96 Imp SS ready for the conversion along witha couple spare opti's. Waiting on trigger wheel pricing/availability. I have HPT, spare PCM's and can wire up anything. Been tuning GM stuff for over 5 yrs. what elso do I need to do get on the guinney pig testing wheel?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Same boat as aknovaman. Please PM with price of wheel. Will mod my own opti just need the parts.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Launching!

i am not offering wheels for sale. the guinney pig program involves sending me a opti, i modify it, make a converter module, install instructions, and provide the schematics for your car and for a 2000z28.

if intrested pm me
Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the best reason to seal the unit up is to keep any moisture out of the optical sensor and from forming deposits on the wheel itself.

Quick Reply: lt1 runs on ls1 computer using modded OPTI