LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Living proof that Royal Purple owns...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96blackta
I’ll probably switch to German Castrol for my next oil change (RP is too expensive). I have to give props to RP for doing such a good job of cleaning out my engine though.
They're about the same price. I've thought about trying German Castrol, instead of RP for my next oil change. But, I don't think anyone around here carries it. So, my only option really, is to buy a case from WS6store. And that's going to cost me a little more than RP. So, I'll just stick with RP until I find a place that sells German Castrol nearby. Also, what's up with RP raising the price of their oil about $1.50 not long ago? It used to be $7.45/quart every time I went and bought it. Then, last time I got it, it was $8.99.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Seriously guys, any good quality brand name synthetic oil will probably work well in our cars. -30 weight. It’s more important to regularly change the oil and filter and make sure the oil is the proper level. During summer heat, change the oil & filter more frequently as a hotter running engine breaks down it’s oil quicker. Just as important as the oil is the filter. You all know not to use any variation of Fram or a filter OEM’ed by them, RIGHT? K&N, Moroso, Mobil 1, WIX/Hastings, all are good quality products. Personally, I buy the tall Wix filters in the bulk shrink-wrap mechanics pack.

‘Course, when I fix that hole in my LT4 valve cover left by that darned errant pushrod, I’ll be back on the road burning up my oil again. Gotta fix the bent valve first, tho
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 529 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Sooner than most people. When I changed my oil, it was barely 1000 miles since the switch.
So 3000, 5000, 7000 miles?
Reason being is I've never heard of an engine getting gunked up as long as routine oil changes have been made. Do you drive your car short distances on a regular basis?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooner than 3000. Yes I drive a lot of short distances.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of oil were you running prior to RP, and for how long?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm the second owner, so I don't know. MY first oil change I used RP.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

havnt read the whole thing but iused RP after i read an article of them pickin up a tenth in a mag and we changed all the fluids to RP and headed to the track the next week and we dropped a tenth not sure if it was the RP but its good **** so y change
Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28rob18
havnt read the whole thing but iused RP after i read an article of them pickin up a tenth in a mag and we changed all the fluids to RP and headed to the track the next week and we dropped a tenth not sure if it was the RP but its good **** so y change
You read an article in a magazine. In Magazine world paid sponsors products always come out on top for a reason.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So 3000, 5000, 7000 miles?
Reason being is I've never heard of an engine getting gunked up as long as routine oil changes have been made. Do you drive your car short distances on a regular basis?

Some engines are naturally sludge machines even with routine oil changes. The killer is short trips. One sludge spot on found on our LT1s is under the intake under that lifter splash shield cover.

BTW Fram isn't the best, and you can certainly get more filter for your money, but it's just fine for normal oil changes. Tired of people saying that. Supertech and STP are good filters too

Paul just because it's summer time doesn't mean you need to go less OCI. Oil doesn't break down unless of course you scorch it from super high temps, which in a normal N/A car you'll never see (synthetic oil is good for 300+ degrees). The add packs are what wears out. If anything you're better off driving in the heat because your oil will get to temp faster and burn off condensation in your oil compared to winter.

Quick Reply: Living proof that Royal Purple owns...