LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i need help with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help with wiring

The CEL was on. but the car was running fine. I notice later that my cooling fans are not coming on . Noticed it poped the fuse when i turned on the a/c. so that is that. But now i have a wire smoking/burning off its insolation. there is a harness that runs along the passanger fender well . it leads up to a 10 pin connector by the pcm. if you disconect it the car will not run. but the wire thats smoking is a brown wire leading to the F terminal.

anyone have any why its getting so hot or what its related too?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

there are 4 connectors on the pcm which one is number 10 and to what connector....as for the F terminal whats that?????? if you have pics up load asap it will help
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

F/ Brown / Power feed from fans/actuators Fuse #6
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Well there is deffinetly a short somewhere. I unplug the fans and put in a fuse (for the fan number 6) and that same wire still heats up. but with the fans unpluges it cant be them. so in the mean time to get me home i wired up a fan to be on/working.

i tried to pull the codes and all it seemed to do was turn on the air pump.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

so ur telling me with the fans connected u blow the fuse....but when the fans are not connected the fuse is okay....therefore you are putting a major load on the fan side, you can have a bad relay that stays on at all times and overloads the circuit or you may have a bad ground in the fan circuit and is pulling more amperage thru the power side and causing the wire to heat up and melt the fuse....so check the ground side of it make sure ground is good...and the relays then the power source make sure is rubbing ground side...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
so ur telling me with the fans connected u blow the fuse....but when the fans are not connected the fuse is okay....therefore you are putting a major load on the fan side, you can have a bad relay that stays on at all times and overloads the circuit or you may have a bad ground in the fan circuit and is pulling more amperage thru the power side and causing the wire to heat up and melt the fuse....so check the ground side of it make sure ground is good...and the relays then the power source make sure is rubbing ground side...
No, I think he is saying the exact opposite. The fuse blows with the fans disconnected.

Check every inch of the wiring for insulation damage and contact to ground. If you have melting insulation, you are going to have to replace the wire, anyway.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

The fuse will blow with the fans connected or dissconected. If iI can get the car to not blow the fuse, the fans will work but the wire heats up ( so it if dosnt take out the fuse it takes out that wire. Even if unplug the fans that same wire still gets hot.

So i checked the fans they work fine.

Is that brown wire a signal wire to the relay in the fuse box? i dont under stand if that brown wire is coming/going from the relay or the fans or what not.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

sorry for the bad pic. but you can see the wire in the middle how its all shiny wire...DOH
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the schematic from Shbox's website. Looks like the brown wire comes directly from the ignition and should have a fusible link in it.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

This has become intresting. its saying the wiring for the fans from the pcm are green and blue. The wire that fried is brown. the fans can still work.

It says on there #6 10a thats the fuse that is blowing. so its not that brown wire. now I have to find what that brown wire (thats heating up) does. and why its now fan related. This probably ties into my CEL also. ( if there is a short)

looks like im going to have to pull off most my front end to access that wiring loom it seems to run from the pcm to the fuse box.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm just taking a stab here, but there are 2 relays in the box by the drivers headlight and a fuse. The 12V source for the relays is the brown wire that goes from the IGN through the fuse to the relays which activate when the PCM tells them too with the blue/green wires.

Does it blow the fuse with the fans disconnected? I read that you said the brown wire heats up no matter what, which makes sense because it's a hot wire as long as the car is on so it doesn't matter if your fans are connected or not. Does it blow the fuse without the A/C on or only when you hit the A/C ****?

Try chasing the wire and jumping it with some heavier gage wire and see if it still heats up? Something is shorting out, but at least you can bandaid it with heavier wire hopefully.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
I'm just taking a stab here, but there are 2 relays in the box by the drivers headlight and a fuse. The 12V source for the relays is the brown wire that goes from the IGN through the fuse to the relays which activate when the PCM tells them too with the blue/green wires.

Does it blow the fuse with the fans disconnected? I read that you said the brown wire heats up no matter what, which makes sense because it's a hot wire as long as the car is on so it doesn't matter if your fans are connected or not. Does it blow the fuse without the A/C on or only when you hit the A/C ****?

Try chasing the wire and jumping it with some heavier gage wire and see if it still heats up? Something is shorting out, but at least you can bandaid it with heavier wire hopefully.
It will blow the fuse with the fans disconnected. If i put in say at 30 amp fuse (insted of the 10amp) it will melt that brown wire (however the fans work)

Last edited by busdude; 02-02-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have my Haynes manual in front of me, but obviously for some reason there is way too much power along that wire from Point A to B, which I'm sure you already knew I guess just trace it and see what you find.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

In my wiring diagrams number 6 fuse is power for my reverse lock out, for the heated oxygen sensors, and the cooling fans apparently.

That f pin (brown wire) is power coming from the #6 (fan )fuse. i just have to figure out where that wire is going (possibly not into the pcm maybe other options).
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by busdude
It will blow the fuse with the fans disconnected. If i put in say at 30 amp fuse (insted of the 10amp) it will melt that brown wire (however the fans work)
If you did put in the larger fuse, that is why your wiring is melted. The fuse is there to protect the wiring. Never put in a larger fuse than called for.

Do you have a 2 or 3 fan relay system? 94s could have either.

Fuse 6 feeds:
O2 sensors
fan relays
reverse lock out
skip shift solenoid
EVAP canister purge valve solenoid
EGR solenoid

Your sig does not say headers, but the most common trouble is a burned O2 wire.

Last edited by shbox; 02-02-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah i realized the fuse thing is not a good idea. i wont talk myself out of that one.

The car is a 2 relay. I do have headers, checking the o2 sensors is on the list.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by busdude
Yeah i realized the fuse thing is not a good idea. i wont talk myself out of that one.

The car is a 2 relay. I do have headers, checking the o2 sensors is on the list.
I can almost guarantee you will find an O2 wire burned and grounding out on the header. Those other circuits don't usually have issues on their own.
It's important to let people know of your mods. It can save time and effort.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Well You were right but not. let me explain. I was checking the wires. the connector(plugs) for the reverse lights and the reverse lock out were melted (pretty bad). so i went to pull all the wires atop so i could work on them. In the process i found that 5 of the wires in that loom were crushed under the valve cover. i pulled those out and inspected. two brown wires were exposed wire one of them leading the o2 sensor. so i repaired the wires. and im waiting on fuses and new connectors. so settle if that was the whole problem or not.

Quick Reply: i need help with wiring