LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ok have a bad engine problem i cant seem to fix....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok have a bad engine problem i cant seem to fix....

Ok i have a forged 355 with stock heads. I had the motor built a little over 2 years ago if not 3 years. Never had a problem with this motor ever. Recently i have been getting bad overheating. Found out the thermostat was sticking closed. The car was overheated quite a few times. Well after fixing the thermostat about a few days later my car starts making a odd grinding type of noise. I thought it might of been a blown headgasket. So i end up doing all the checks and when i took my PCV tube off from the vavle cover/ throttle body i saw that there was chocolate milk liquid in there. Ok so i thought i found it, blown headgasket.

Before i get into taking apart the motor the noise i was hearing didnt sound like valvetrian problems. I honestly beleive its not a failed lifter cause that would cause a metal to metal tapping sound. Ive heard failed lifters before and this isnt it. Upon further inspecting i get underneath the car and listen and its deff coming from the bottom of the engine. My thoughts could have been the oil catch can and baffle i put in the oil pan, could have come loose and the crankshaft is hitting it. Well the noise is only happening during idle at around 950-1000 rpms. When given throttle the sound goes away. I did drive the vehicle like this and noticed no loss of power. It only makes this louid grinding noise during idle.

Ok back to the blown headgasket. I tore down the engine and found more chocolate milk in the intake valley/lifter valley. Took the heads off and noticed driver side was ok. Passenger side headgasket you could tell had a problem with it. It was very very birttle and broke when i barely pulled it up off the block. Inspected the heads and had them taken in and resealed valves and surfaced them. I had a buddy whos buying the car from me work on the car while i was at work. Supposidly he did pull the lifters up and they seemed fine. We put the engine back together and started everything up. Well same problem. The loud grinding noise at idle coming from the bottom side of the engine....

After letting it run and going through all the problems a over heating issue would cause we decided it could either be the oil pan baffle/catch can came loose or a spun bearing? I would of never thought a spun bearing would make a grinding type of noise during idle but when giving throttle it dissappears like nothing has happen.

Any thoughts would be grealty appreciated. We have not taking the oil pan off yet, but plan on doing it this week/weekend just to check the crank and look at the bearings. Sorry for the long post, but im lost on this project now...

Thanks....Randy
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your main bearings. Overheating your engine over and over again, and running it with coolant in the oil is very bad.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Well it wasnt ran that long with coolant in the oil. About 2 days after the overheating problem is when the noise started. Thats what made me start searching and then found the coolant. Im hoping i can find something by dropping the oil pan and see if i can see anything through there. Also usually when bearings go bad they get louder at higher RPM. For me the sound and problem goes away at higher RPM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wiped out a set in a stock short block before. It was grinding and noisy at idle and low rpm. When rpms rose and oil pressure went up it would get more quiet. You could look into your trans/torque converter/clutch depending on if it is 6 speed or auto. I would pull the pan though and pull off a main cap and a rod cap to check the bearings.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy95Z28
Well it wasnt ran that long with coolant in the oil. About 2 days after the overheating problem is when the noise started. Thats what made me start searching and then found the coolant. Im hoping i can find something by dropping the oil pan and see if i can see anything through there. Also usually when bearings go bad they get louder at higher RPM. For me the sound and problem goes away at higher RPM.
That's what I was going to suggest, drop the pan and look for anything out of the ordinary. Normally a spun bearing will make an awful noise that will trace rpm. So it might not be that.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Yea its an A4 built with a 3200 stall. Thats another thing i considered. The stall could be going out and something could be rattling around inside the stall or tranny. Im going to pull the pan and keep you guys up to date..
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It can only take a moment to ruin a bearing when something other than oil is there for "lubrication".
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
It can only take a moment to ruin a bearing when something other than oil is there for "lubrication".

Dont understand your post? If it was a spun bearing wouldnt it make more noise as i increase RPM? Possibly the windage tray i added in the pan came loose?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy95Z28
Dont understand your post? If it was a spun bearing wouldnt it make more noise as i increase RPM?
I think he was just responding to your comment that you only had coolant in the oil for two days. Drop the pan and hope for the best. If it was a spun bearing you would have A LOT of bearing material in your oil filter and you would also have some wedged in your oil pick up tube. I would tear open your filter and inspect it.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Yea the filter i took out was completly fine. I did not have any shavings on my magnetic oil pan bolt either...Going to get my buddy who is about to own the car come do the work. Told him dropping the pan is pretty easy. Once thats off we should be able to tell whats going on. If that isnt the problem im thinking stall.... But i will have the car jacked up and on stands and started and get underneath and try to find the pin point spot where the noise is coming from.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

UPDATE:::

I sold the car to a buddy cause he really wanted it. I told him to actually drop the pan and look from there. Well him being a hard headed idiot he pulled the complete engine out thinking it has to be rebuilt cause its a spun bearing or bad connecting rod. Anyways long story short last night we get the block out of the car and he takes the pan off. I was very anxious for this moment cause i had an idea it had to be something in the pan. Well pan comes off and the 1st then we notice. The pickup screen has broken off the pickup tube somehow. Upon further inspection we find the 2 out of 3 nuts holidng the windage tray has fallen off. I said theres the problem you dumbass. What did i keep telling you, pull the pan pull the pan?. Didnt listen.

So im my theory the nuts problably came loose and hit the pickup screen and caused it to come loose. Then from all the pressure swishing around it eventually broke off. During low rpms the windage tray was probably pushing back and forth causing that metal to metal sound. Or could of been the bolts or even the screen being swished around. The only good thing that came out from taking out the block was that he discovered there was only 2 bolts holding the transmission to the block :o. Thats not good. Im not going to blame the previous shop who worked on my car, but im pretty sure i know who it is that didnt put all the bolts on. So now after all this he has to replace basically brand new head gaskets, oil pan gasket, header gaskets (he ripped one), intake gaskets, and water pump gaskets.....

So theres the problem that has been discovered by taken the LONG way out!