LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Install Help Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Well today didnt go all that well. I started out at 10:30am to head home from where I work on the car. It was leaking pretty bad from the rear of the intake. Lots of smoke was coming from under the hood and it was running a little rough. When I got home I deceided to pull the intake and reseal it again. I don't have many tools at home which made it a little more interesting. I had to run to Autozone twice and that same wire I had tied up yesterday to keep it from arching must have fell out so it ran really rough and backfired until I caught it. It took about two hours to pull the intake clean it and reseal. The front was actually sealed really well. Somehow the back didnt do so well. Right in the center where that bolt comes off the block it had very little sealer. After cleaning, I used the right stuff again along the back and front of the intake and up the china walls. This time I used a good bit more and did my best to cover it all and seat the intake only once. I didnt have my torque wrench so I had to feel for it. I followed the correct tightening pattern. I'm not going to start it until tomorrow morning which should give it about 15 hours to dry. Hopefilly all goes well.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Well I drove it to work this morning. The leak at the back of the intake appears to be gone. I didnt get on it hard so I'm not 100% sure yet but I didn't see any new oil leaking. It is running a little rough like there is a slight miss on acceleration. It also backfired once while accelerating normal. I will go back and check all 8 plugs again for fit. Any other ideas?

Here's a short datamaster file I was able to record this morning before the laptop died on me. I didnt get any good runs in. It's just a short cruise and some idleing. I need a new battery for the laptop. How's it look?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zidwim...ll_3_23_09.uni

Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

I think we found it!

I got home and checked everything over. I started with the spark plug wires and plugs. I pulled all the boots except for the most difficult 5 and 7. It got dark before I got to them. I hate those two. I also retightened the six plugs. Wire boot number 4 was a little loose. I pulled it off and the plug could easily be turned by hand either way. After I was done tightening I took it for a test drive around the neighborhood. No more bogging or backfiring. I only got up to about 30. I jumped in the car without my wallet and license. I guess I got a little too excited. If I remember correctly the same thing happened the last time I swapped spark plugs. One backed out after some driving. I change them at least once a year since they are cheap enough. I figure it's not a bad idea anyway with the N2O.

It also looks like the intake is holding well. No more visible leaks. If everything seems fine in the morning I'm going WOT for a little test.

I may go check for arching now. If my neighbor can mow the grass in the dark I can make a little engine noise.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Well the car died on my way to work today. All of the electronics started going out one by one untilit died. It was strange driving without the LCD. I was stuck on the side of the interstate for about 30 minutes until I found the alternator wiring harness was unplugged. Don't know who forgot to put that back on. GM hid that sucker pretty good under there. I think mine might have a clip missing which makes it easier to get off but probably also easier to vibrate off. Other than that it still seems to be running ok.

Here's a new Datamaster log file but it's probably all screwed up since it started to run rough and die near the end where I was loosing power. The DTC error codes for map low and EGR fault I believe are due to the low voltage.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u5dtqy...ll_3_24_09.uni

If anyone wants to download Datamaster to read uni files it is at the link below. You also get 20 free sessions with the trial version but you would need the cables.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataM...downloads.html

Last edited by rickreeves1; 03-24-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Everything has been running fine since. It feels even better than I expected. I was finally able to get a video. Anyone know how to embed a Youtube video on this forum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EdR8DXz1mM

Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds great. nice job..

Quick Reply: Cam Install Help Needed??