LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Unique autosports

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
idk about all that.......not trying to be a dick.....but if you have a wreck and it destroys the roll cage either A: it was a real shitty cage, built wrong and welds are poor....or B: the crash was so bad youd be dead anyway
you provide a great point theres no reasion for the cage to be destroyed unless my foot is to the floor and at that point if i do crash im dead any way. theres a lot of factors to think about and the last thing i want to do is put my child in danger i might be young but my child is my life if shes in the car with me and the speed limit is 35 then i do 35 no more no less.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude 12 grand for carbon fiber, paint, and a bodykit? I must say you've got to be crazy ! For that amount of money you could rebuild your engine, add full suspension, rims and tires, all types of crap. But if ur willing to spend that type of money more power to you !
Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

i dont know if im going to do the callaway body kit its 5 grand by its self so its out of the question
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Dude 12 grand for carbon fiber, paint, and a bodykit? I must say you've got to be crazy ! For that amount of money you could rebuild your engine, add full suspension, rims and tires, all types of crap. But if ur willing to spend that type of money more power to you !
i am building my engine my engine its self is almost 7 grand
Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And I'm not trying to be a dick (to the OP) but if you've got the money to drop down that sort of cash on having custom carbon fiber body panels (you realize that our bumper covers, fenders and doors are plastic right?), you clearly are loaded. With that being said, you might as well buy a second F-Body as a family car, since that is what you're treating your current one as. Ideally you'd just buy a G8 GT, or a Grand Prix GXP. Now, for the ******** part You'd be a total retard to put carbon fiber on a race car. Why? Well lets think about this... Carbon fiber is not cheap even when it's not custom formed into a body panel. Then you're going to have custom (key word) panels made, which on a race car have a really good chance of being damaged. While CF is quite strong, it's not crash proof lol

Now, if you're referring to having the INTERIOR panels converted to custom fiber, you're equally as much of a tool lol You're not going to save all that much over the thin plastic panels in there. That and we're driving MUSCLE CARS, not Imports.

So, if you've got the cash to drop down, and you think this is a good idea. Asking us really is just trying to brag I think, because you'd go ahead and do it anyways.

To answer your question, yes I think that's too much. You can find a painter who knows what he's doing at his home paint shop and spend 1/2 what you'd spend else where, and still end up with a really nice job. Build a motor, don't waste the money on lightening up the car. You can lighten it up for free. And you don't need "custom" leather seats, just go buy some factory leather seats (they're very common, my Formula has them factory) and then just have the center insert dyed red or something Then, give me $1K so I can do some real mods to my car

EDIT: OK You added some stuff in the time I took to make this post. So I'll retract the bit on treating the car as a family one. Yet you have to understand something, you either go one way or the other. Most cages I've seen use the area where the backseats are, thus totally making it impossible for a seat to be there, let alone a car seat. And since you're spending $7K on the motor, I'm very curious as to what is all being done, because I have a bad feeling you're getting ripped off there too heh

Last edited by Formula350; 02-16-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1performer
you provide a great point theres no reasion for the cage to be destroyed unless my foot is to the floor and at that point if i do crash im dead any way. theres a lot of factors to think about and the last thing i want to do is put my child in danger i might be young but my child is my life if shes in the car with me and the speed limit is 35 then i do 35 no more no less.
i understand about the kid part.
i dont have any kids, but i wont drive the way i normally drive with my nephews in the car.
i couldnt imagine hurting them much less my own.

and yea i think its retarded to build something like that. but thats what makes the world go round. people and their different taste
Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

not everything is being done at once i did not make that clear so im sorry about that. we are trying to make 700hp N/A and 900 with NOS 7grand is really a ballpark figure. but its getting close the thing i was not sure about is if the back seat has to go or not for a cage. i really want the inside to look good but not look like rice i do respect what your saying formula so dont think im not paying attention to what your saying.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

O i forgot my camaro isent my family car my truck is forgot to add that part
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it is pretty hard to get an lt1 to have 700 hp n/a for 7 grand....if you are looking for that, it might be easier to swap an ls block with more cubes so you can get closer to your goal.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

yea i agree.... i dont think its possible and if you do its going to be one radical cam and not very streetable
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

i dont know we will see what happends
Old 02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Or you'll have to spin higher than our factory computers can do, and look into spending another ~$1200 for a new computer system. You'll most likely need to spend $2K+ on a custom sheet metal intake as well. But I honestly don't know how high a single plane conversion will support on our motors. Then don't forget the need for a new rear end and some damn good suspension and tires to hook all that power More and more you're moving away from a car that'll be streetable, especially if you have emissions to pass!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

im running a 950cfm carb. so no computer. yeah about emissions ill just keep my eyes closed
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

im running a 950cfm carb. so no computer. yeah about emissions ill just keep my eyes closed
So... you're running a GEN I SBC? Because if so you're in the GEN II LT1 section And the only thing that would be left to make your motor a GEN II would be the reverse flow cooling.

And I didn't mean exhaust fumes by emissions lol I meant Emissions Testing, by the government, that deems your vehicle legal for street use. If PA is another state that doesn't have them, then nevermind, but I'd be surprised if they didn't actually. So I don't think closing your eyes will make the fine/DOT go away
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

So basically instead of spending "7 grand on a engine" and "12 grand on bodykits and carbon fiber" just by a honda
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
So basically instead of spending "7 grand on a engine" and "12 grand on bodykits and carbon fiber" just by a honda
Won't have to worry about custom made stuff then either, as there's tons of CF junk for those cars lol
Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Formula350
So... you're running a GEN I SBC? Because if so you're in the GEN II LT1 section And the only thing that would be left to make your motor a GEN II would be the reverse flow cooling.

And I didn't mean exhaust fumes by emissions lol I meant Emissions Testing, by the government, that deems your vehicle legal for street use. If PA is another state that doesn't have them, then nevermind, but I'd be surprised if they didn't actually. So I don't think closing your eyes will make the fine/DOT go away
see the way to get around the emission testing is i do my own emissions and inspection testing. not that i should have said that but o well
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

see the way to get around the emission testing is i do my own emissions and inspection testing. not that i should have said that but o well
None of us care lol And unless you work at a shop that's licensed to do testing and certification of a vehicle, I'm not sure how you'd manage to do it yourself heh
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

I say do what ever floats your boat, about the cage, id definetly advise against putting anyone in the back seat with a roll cage. Its not so much how you drive, but what could happen if someone hit you. Even with padding on a cage its still hard enough to do some damage if your head were to smack into it. As far as everything else goes, if you have the cash and really want that stuff done, have at it and enjoy it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

12 grand will barely get you a top the line engine. Hardly enough for a dream build like some are making it out to be.

If you've got the cash, its your car - do what you want. Why would you even be asking us?? Most of the people here think more performance then show, so the reactions to that type of question would be negative anyway.

IMO thats CHEAP for what you want done anyway...a high end paintjob in itself is easily well over 5 grand(this is not your ordinary MAACO paint...they remove EVERYTHING, paint the sills, engine bay, inner trunk, etc..), and I would not even want to guess how much it would be to replace all the plastics with CF...I paid almost 300 bucks for a carbon fiber rear hugger for a crotch rocket and its basically just a small CF fender. I could imagine a full interior creeping up more then just a couple grand...thats already not leaving much for a custom cage, custom leather rear seats, custom race seats, and harnesses! Honestly I would imagine a big name show like that charging over 12K for that kind of work, even if you could do it yourself for less.

Personally, I think the whole CF thing is a horrible waste of money, but if its what you want then who can tell you otherwise?

Quick Reply: Unique autosports