LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Unique autosports

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont see any of this possible.lol
but who knows........
ill be deep into the tens and safely doing so for under ten grand with my ls1...so i suppose everything is possible
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry for posting my bit of 'sanity' in a totally insane and ignorant post...

If you all didn't get it, the comments about a rollbar/cage being unsafe has NOTHING to do with the person driving the car. It has EVERYTHING to do with ANY sort of accident, ie t-boned, head-on, etc... Just because YOU don't intend to get into a crash means NOTHING about all the other idiots out there driving... It is amazing some of you can even breath and think at the same time...

Carb'd LT1 with a $12.5k+ set of interior and paint mods... Yeah, welcome to the 21st century ya hillbilly... That right there at the back of the passenger fender is what they call a C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R... You know, those new fangled thinga-ma-gigies that do all that scientifical schtuffs...

Honestly, the more this thread went on, the worse and worse it got... 700hp LT1 motor for $7k... Never on pump gas, maybe for all of 5-8 seconds on alcohol, and then it would be a nice melted down pile of slag... 900hp on nitrous, I REALLY hope you plan on investing at least $15-25k to pull that off properly, and yes, I am talking ALL the rest of the stuff required to put out that kind of power, not just the motor... And not just something that will last all of 4-5 runs either, but something that is good for AT LEAST a full season...

Good gods... I guess this has become noob central and those of the stupidity elite... Or, maybe it is just a ton of BS talking wanna-be types... Don't know, don't care, tis an absolute WASTE of time...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 AM
9 Second Club

700hp NA won't happen for 7 grand..... I have 5K in a rotating assembly to handle around 1500hp.... Good cranks from Lunati, Callies, etc are easily 1500-2000.... Good rods like GRP, Lunati, and oliver (what I have) are like 1800.... Good forged pistons are like 1200-1500. Valvetrain for that much power since you'll have a fat *** cam is gonna be like 1200-1500.... Oh by the way you're gonna need cylinder heads... Those are gonna be like 2500 or more when all is said and done. you're gonna need like hogged out 210's at a minimum. more like 227's to make it easier. that LT1 intake is gonna be in the trash can for a converted single plane or a sheetmetal. that's like 1K at a minimum. headers, exhaust, fuel system, tranny to handle that power... that's another 5 large.... right there you are talking closer to 15,000 dollars.... not considering engine management (oh yeah you have a carb)... gonna be like a grand for a good carb that's worked....

top of the line motors will run you like 15 racks. I have all of 15 in my motor. It has made a DYNO guaranteed 811 hp at the wheels with a TH400 and a 4000 stall converter, denny's driveshaft and a 9".... probably like 950 hp at the motor... and i'm not done feeding it all the juice it's going to see.... I expect over 900 RWHP soon....

Oh BTW that block is going to need about 1000-1500 at least worth of machine work. splayed caps, bored/honed with torque plates, align honed, half filled with hard blok, etc...

If you have 12,000 to buy carbon fiber and let those assclowns at unique work on it (last time i checked they aren't the authority on rollcages) you should focus on building the motor and the drivetrain to handle the power.... cause if you put down 7k on a motor you think will make 900hp you are going to end up with a candy apple striped half carbon fiber import looking piece that don't run NEARLY what you expect.....

take baby steps man, instead of trying to reinvent the whole car. You can easily set the car apart by doing other stuff ppl don't do. Buy rims that NOBODY has like Fikse's or HRE's cause most can't afford em. Setup the car like a Pro touring car with 17 or 18x12's out back with some massive tires and a stealth minitub. Run a sick custom dual exhaust that goes over and exits at the rear like stock. THOSE kind of things are going to make your car stand out to REAL car guys. If you wanna impress 15 year old girls or a bunch of honda civic guys then slap 12G's worth of horrible fitting body panels on it..... but the real car dudes are just gonna laugh... For 12 grand there are companies out there that will put a rollcage in your car that you can't see cause they hide it under interior panels or it's so tight to the interior that you can't see it from outside. And none of those companies start with the name "Unique"..... just tryin to help you out man...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Ok outlaw you made some really good points and thanks for not being a dick. i have been thinking about the CF and im not going to do it. you guys are right it would look ricey. i do want to paint the car and put a cage in it. im just going to buy some corvette seats and call it a day now if we can avoid fighting can i get the name of some shops that can do some nice work and not rape me in the end.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast

If you all didn't get it, the comments about a rollbar/cage being unsafe has NOTHING to do with the person driving the car. It has EVERYTHING to do with ANY sort of accident, ie t-boned, head-on, etc... Just because YOU don't intend to get into a crash means NOTHING about all the other idiots out there driving... It is amazing some of you can even breath and think at the same time...

oh i think we got the comments about the cage..the whole thing about that is they didnt make any since.... a cage breaking?
like i had said previously if your cage breaks either its a poor quality cage...or your gonna be dead from the impact anyway.

and if this kid is a noob then lead him in the right direction dont be a dick... i guess some of you have just always known everything about cars, and never had any dumb ideas huh
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

no problem man.... if you want to be unique there are some sick things you can do....

I personally think the route to being unique is do a twin turbo setup or a front mounted single..... usually ikf you have a twin or single turbo car you're usually the only one in your neighborhood that has it..... Build a sick *** turbo street car..... with a pro touring stance..... Mount some 335's out back..... on some fikse's.... it would be a car to kill for...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
700hp NA won't happen for 7 grand..... I have 5K in a rotating assembly to handle around 1500hp.... Good cranks from Lunati, Callies, etc are easily 1500-2000.... Good rods like GRP, Lunati, and oliver (what I have) are like 1800.... Good forged pistons are like 1200-1500. Valvetrain for that much power since you'll have a fat *** cam is gonna be like 1200-1500.... Oh by the way you're gonna need cylinder heads... Those are gonna be like 2500 or more when all is said and done. you're gonna need like hogged out 210's at a minimum. more like 227's to make it easier. that LT1 intake is gonna be in the trash can for a converted single plane or a sheetmetal. that's like 1K at a minimum. headers, exhaust, fuel system, tranny to handle that power... that's another 5 large.... right there you are talking closer to 15,000 dollars.... not considering engine management (oh yeah you have a carb)... gonna be like a grand for a good carb that's worked....

top of the line motors will run you like 15 racks. I have all of 15 in my motor. It has made a DYNO guaranteed 811 hp at the wheels with a TH400 and a 4000 stall converter, denny's driveshaft and a 9".... probably like 950 hp at the motor... and i'm not done feeding it all the juice it's going to see.... I expect over 900 RWHP soon....

Oh BTW that block is going to need about 1000-1500 at least worth of machine work. splayed caps, bored/honed with torque plates, align honed, half filled with hard blok, etc...

If you have 12,000 to buy carbon fiber and let those assclowns at unique work on it (last time i checked they aren't the authority on rollcages) you should focus on building the motor and the drivetrain to handle the power.... cause if you put down 7k on a motor you think will make 900hp you are going to end up with a candy apple striped half carbon fiber import looking piece that don't run NEARLY what you expect.....

take baby steps man, instead of trying to reinvent the whole car. You can easily set the car apart by doing other stuff ppl don't do. Buy rims that NOBODY has like Fikse's or HRE's cause most can't afford em. Setup the car like a Pro touring car with 17 or 18x12's out back with some massive tires and a stealth minitub. Run a sick custom dual exhaust that goes over and exits at the rear like stock. THOSE kind of things are going to make your car stand out to REAL car guys. If you wanna impress 15 year old girls or a bunch of honda civic guys then slap 12G's worth of horrible fitting body panels on it..... but the real car dudes are just gonna laugh... For 12 grand there are companies out there that will put a rollcage in your car that you can't see cause they hide it under interior panels or it's so tight to the interior that you can't see it from outside. And none of those companies start with the name "Unique"..... just tryin to help you out man...
Agreed...it adds up QUICK when you start trying to be more of a competative drag car and less of a daily driver.

My modest goal is to be only around 600 *FLYWHEEL* NA and I already have close to 10 grand in my engine - and that is with some STEALS on parts from forums. Some parts I got for less then half of what it would cost to get on my own. I still have to deal with fuel lines(rails are NPT fittings already), injectors, pushrods, opti(upgrading to dowel driven instead of my current splined opti), and another dyno tune...plus fluids, gaskets, and "incidentals" that always add up. I can see the total finishing at over 10 grand for what started as a fairly "budget" N/A build. 700hp with 7 grand is a joke...just a top end can cost that much! Running NA is not the easiest nor cheapest way to go fast, but is a fun challenge in itself.

The build as a whole is still a bit under wraps since its not good form to talk about projects that are not running yet, but I hope to run into the 10s NA in a street driven LT1.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time some redneck opens a door on that carbon fiber you are gonna have a heart attack.

As far as roll cages on the street, I disagree. Mine is heavily padded wherever my head may hit in an accident on or off track. A roll cage can be a lifesaver in a street accident, especially in a rollover situation.

If you have a roll cage and its NOT padded what good is it doing you? Its gonna crack ANY helmet open like a melon.

Any cage worth installing is gonna have a crossbar behind the front seats, the back seats are unusable.

Like Outlaw said. Nice heads/cam. Custom paint, some Fikse FM5's, lowered.....would be killer. Spend your money wisely, really decide on the goals you want. Make a plan and STICK WITH THAT PLAN.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
First time some redneck opens a door on that carbon fiber you are gonna have a heart attack.
Why? Carbon Fiber is insanely strong. The Stig (Top Gear) went way off track and BLASTED a tire wall doing over 100mph, embedding one inside the bumper's scoop, and the bumper was still in amazing condition (like, new paint and you'd barely know what happened). Now, our plastic panels heh... They'd be in segments all over the place :\ I wouldn't doubt the door ending up being damaged over his body panels lol

Not trying to start anything though

OP: Glad you changed your mind on all that. I remember watching that Unique Whips show, and if that is the same shop as what was on there... good lord I would not even take my rusted out Corolla to them for an oil change! They were doing some interior work on a car and you know how they dyed the fabric? Oh this was CLASSIC... Not only were they doing it outside, which is a horrendous no-no when it comes to any sort of painting, but they were doing it with your off-the-shelf rattle cans!!! I mean, that's something I'd do to my own car. Not something I'd do to a customers car that is paying me a shitload to make it look nice*. Stick $5K into an amazing paint job and then ~$2K into suspension and the rest of that $12K (so 6K left) into the motor. I agree with Outlaw on a forced induction setup BUT if you want to be TRULY unique, you'll have a on-off Whipple Blower (fuel injected) setup Similar to the Roots one a couple guys have done (one of them on here), but Whipples are much better (and of course more expensive heh).

(******** gay)
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info fast it helps alot. i just want it to look good i think the candy apple red would look great on a black hat camaro. im not going to wast time with the CF i never thought about lowering the car. but i like that idea. the reason i want to do the interior is because its all ripped up and needs done any way. When i bought the car the inside was in bad shape but it just got worse and needs fixed. any idea i can get are great. and the ideas you guys are giving me are a lot of help thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

When i started this project it was just going to be a simple build and i got bored i wanted to do something more challenging. thats why i wanted to go N/A and now things are going over bored and its just not fun anymore
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
If you are putting a rollbar in it you had better never put a carseat for a little one in the back... That is the most ignorant, irresponsible and negligent thing ANY PARENT could ever do to thier kids...

If you don't know, or haven't thought it through, a rollbar is MEANT TO BE USED WITH A HELMET!!!

Sorry, no matter what you do to the rollbar, it is a bunch of sprung tubes of steel in an acident. If you get in an accident they become dangerous pieces that WILL cause head injuries to everyone in the car.

I contemplated putting a rollbar in my car, decided against it since I wanted my kids to ride in it... Hell if you drive the thing on the street without a helmet you are taking the risk of loosing your life if you get in an accident, no two ways about it.

A rollbar/cage keeps you safe in an accident while wearing a helmet and while strapped into a 5-point harness. It it NOT meant to offer any sort of protection on the street without a helmet, no two ways around it.

Sorry, just pointing out some facts of rollbars/cages that MOST people ignore and just try to not think about... It is like a set of slicks and skinnies, great on the track, poor on the street...

Also, like you, I decided to keep my T/A forever, so I put well over $100k+ into it, big motor, blower, nitrous, S60 rear, full custom suspension, then in went the $30k+ stereo and custom interior, ever custom thing you can think of and a ton no-one else has done... But, I kept it a street car, even with over 1000hp, it has no cage... I take two of my kids for a ride at a time, wife cruises in the Z28 convertible with the other two... So it can be done, just keep it realistic...
+1 a roll cage is like having multiple impact points for your head to go

works great in conjunction with a helmet and harness but more harm than good with out them
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1performer
thanks for the info fast it helps alot. i just want it to look good i think the candy apple red would look great on a black hat camaro. im not going to wast time with the CF i never thought about lowering the car. but i like that idea. the reason i want to do the interior is because its all ripped up and needs done any way. When i bought the car the inside was in bad shape but it just got worse and needs fixed. any idea i can get are great. and the ideas you guys are giving me are a lot of help thanks
I'm sure you can find factory leather seats out of a newer F-Body for reasonably priced. I'd look for (but I think all leathers are...) the 6-way electric seats My 93 has them and I love them, but they're only 4-way electric and the other 2-way is mechanical (the under leg rest). Not sure though if Camaros have electrics, not paid much attention as I like Firebirds more for their intended more luxury feel while still retaining all the performance as the Camaro.

Some colors I really like are metallic black and gun-metal gray.

N/A is cool, but is really only bragging rights IMO. If all you want is HP then forced induction is the easier route (figuratively speaking of course, as a custom turbo setup could become pricey due to the hot parts)
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

if i do a blower i want to do a top mount like the old style blowers and they dont make them for the lt1
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1performer
if i do a blower i want to do a top mount like the old style blowers and they dont make them for the lt1
That's what I was telling you to do lol Roots/Whipple is intake mount, and that's also why I said you'll have to do some custom work. Also why I said 2 people (more I'm sure, but I haven't came across them in my Net travels) have done them, as it's easily possible. Since we basically are a SBC, we have many options for this, the only issue is the limited space in the engine compartment. I came up with a great way to do a SBC style with rear air inlet setup and have it swapped to a font inlet with rear pulley drive, and utilize the stock belt setup. It's all a theory, but there's not much reason for it NOT to work. It also has built in intercooler
Old 02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Its easy to get discouraged when it comes to modifying your car. So many choices, so many different ways to go. Best thing to do is take your time, decide what you want, and do what makes you happy. Cause if you try to do what everyone else thinks is best, or you should do, your not gonna be happy and your not gonna have fun with your car.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM

im with pretty much everyone else do some of the stuff on your own and save yourself quite a bit! Unique is way too overpriced

Quick Reply: Unique autosports