LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

58mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58mm throttle body

Hey fellas, will I notice a difference in power if i add a bbk 58mm throttle body on my 95 lt1 z28 replacing the 52mm?? thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do it without opening up the intake openings then you may notice a NEGATIVE difference.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ yeah, if you are going to spend the money on a 58mm TB take the time to either pull your intake and have it Ported. Or buy one..

I did mean Intake Mani, to be specific.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Unless it's a big horse power engine, the only thing you will notice will be a little increase in throttle response coming off of idle and if it's an auto car, your shifts will become really soft until you bump up the line pressure.

When I bought my car, it had a 58 mm throttle body installed. I swapped it out for a stock one and lost nothing in track times.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste the money unless you are doing a heads/cam/ported intake set up at the same time. And +2 on what Caprice said.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the amount of work needed to have the 58mm on there and function properly i would leave the 52 on there until more work is done internally.
of course, if you had an opened up intake and a 58 just sittin there, well it would justify the swap i still do not believe you will see a real gain or better yet a significant gain.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Don't waste the money unless you are doing a heads/cam/ported intake set up at the same time. And +2 on what Caprice said.
I agree with you to a point There is nothing wrong with doing the mod now, if he plans on doing some more top end work in the future. Not every one has the opportunity, ability or discipline to save large amounts of cash and buy everything at once. There is nothing wrong with taking it one step at a time and sometimes that's more of a motivation to keep modding.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
I agree with you to a point There is nothing wrong with doing the mod now, if he plans on doing some more top end work in the future. Not every one has the opportunity, ability or discipline to save large amounts of cash and buy everything at once. There is nothing wrong with taking it one step at a time and sometimes that's more of a motivation to keep modding.
Do you realize there are so called "upgrades" that can result in things not working well together? Just by adding a 58mm t.b. doesn't mean you will get HP gains. There have been plenty of situations with people doing this and their car running like crap. Do some research man
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Hold off on that throttle body unless you do the intake at the same time or a future build. I jumped the gun on mine after I first bought it and put on a 58mm and the car ran like ****. Throwing in more air doesn't always result in better performance.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Your right about taking it one step at a time, but make sure that step is in the right direction. The direction you are leading him to is not in the correct one. Just like Elliott said, do some searching and you will see you are incorrect and giving bad advice.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Your right about taking it one step at a time, but make sure that step is in the right direction. The direction you are leading him to is not in the correct one. Just like Elliott said, do some searching and you will see you are incorrect and giving bad advice.
How am I giving bad advise? I already said make sure to Port out the intake Mani, not to mention doing more top end work down the road. More then just the TB... I.E. Heads and maybe a cam. How is that bad advise?

Edit: I Was not telling him to put the TB on right now. I was saying if he has a cash and his future build plans call for the 58mm TB go ahead and buy it now (I never said anything about putting it on and thinking it will give you any gains with a stock LT) Settle down guys, I guess ill be more clear about what I am trying to say next time
Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I bought mine well before i needed it, but then again i got it for 150. if the price is really good like my situation then go ahead and get it. i will tell you i realized a difference only because i went from stock to a 58, you doing it wont gain anything, and like said above, could maybe hurt it a little bit, but if the price is right, get it now, and hold onto it, those were my intentions, then i couldnt keep looking at it in my garage so i popped it on, dont regret it but definitely cant wait to do my top end to feel its capabilities.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Throwing in more air doesn't always result in better performance.

This statement makes no sense, So by your theory, putting a ported IM, 58mm TB and a Pro Charger SC will not always make for better performance? Better yet just a Pro Charger SC on a stock engine? Of course the engine will not perform the greatest after. Thats what a dyno tune is for.

PS. I put a Ported IM and 58mm TB on my Bolt On LT1. And the car runs like a champ. I had planed on doing a complete top end package further down the road. But now Im going to throw in a 383 with a Pro Charger Super Charger

Last edited by ninjai_ruken; 02-23-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you actually get more air into an engine it should make more power. The argument should be whether the stock engine will pull in any more air with a 58mm vs. a 52mm.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z2895
Hey fellas, will I notice a difference in power if i add a bbk 58mm throttle body on my 95 lt1 z28 replacing the 52mm?? thanks
This statement makes no sense, So by your theory, putting a ported IM, 58mm TB and a Pro Charger SC will not always make for better performance? Better yet just a Pro Charger SC on a stock engine? Of course the engine will not perform the greatest after. Thats what a dyno tune is for.

PS. I put a Ported IM and 58mm TB on my Bolt On LT1. And the car runs like a champ. I had planed on doing a complete top end package further down the road. But now Im going to throw in a 383 with a Pro Charger Super Charger

Ok Ninjai, read the first qoute, whats the original question? "Will putting a 58mm TB on my car, in place of a 52mm, gain any power?"

The answer to that is no. a 52mm is the biggest you can go on a stock manifold, you can go bigger but it will harm the velocity of the incoming air, therefore even if it is supercharged, yadda yadda yadda, it still wont help.

PS. like you said you, you put on a "IM" ANNNDDDD a 58mm TB, the whoel point there is you gotta a better/bigger manifold to handle the increased air.

and last but not least, BRUCEBUFFERT/A's statement, makes perfect sense.
if you CRAM, or harm the flow of any intake component then it will NOT show any gains. Why do you think people put smooth elbows, better piping... etc.. on their intake, to make the VELOCITY better, not the Quantity. Key point here is that he was right when he said "Throwing in more air doesn't always result in better performance" because yes, throwing in more air CAN result in better performance, BUT when TOO MUCH air WILL NOT result in better performance, and possibly harm it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glenb1991
Ok Ninjai, read the first qoute, whats the original question? "Will putting a 58mm TB on my car, in place of a 52mm, gain any power?"

The answer to that is no. a 52mm is the biggest you can go on a stock manifold, you can go bigger but it will harm the velocity of the incoming air, therefore even if it is supercharged, yadda yadda yadda, it still wont help.
And Why do you think I told the OP to port his god damn intake manifold and heads. I already said I agree with you guys in the first place.

Originally Posted by glenb1991
and last but not least, BRUCEBUFFERT/A's statement, makes perfect sense.
if you CRAM, or harm the flow of any intake component then it will NOT show any gains. Why do you think people put smooth elbows, better piping... etc.. on their intake, to make the VELOCITY better, not the Quantity. Key point here is that he was right when he said "Throwing in more air doesn't always result in better performance" because yes, throwing in more air CAN result in better performance, BUT when TOO MUCH air WILL NOT result in better performance, and possibly harm it.

No kiddin? I know if makes perfect sense the way you stated it. Maybe he needs to word his posts better.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An engine will only breathe as much air as it needs. At some point, opening up the throttle body will not help anymore and can actually decrease horsepower by decreasing velocity. It's simple volumetric efficiency.

Once you add a mechanical compressor of sorts (turbo/supercharger), it is a different ballgame.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I just talked to Bryan and PCM4Less and he told me that a TB is nothing like a carb you can't got to big. I told him could I install a 58 tb with my CC503 and i thought it wouldn't work well together but that's what he said so on with the polished Holley 58 tb
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

I take it you meant he said, "you can't go too big?" Sorry but Bryan at PCMFORLESS is incorrect. I've been in this situation and can tell you going to a larger throttle body doesn't always work in the way we might want it too.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._manifold.html

Quick Reply: 58mm throttle body