LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 383 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 383 Build

Sad. I wanted to go with Lloyd's head a cam setup initially, but I can no longer fit them in my budget now. Talking to a reputable shop down here, owner says to just build something that'll keep me happy untill I can scrape up the funds and put together a motor that I wanted. So here it is, he's going to build a 383 for me for about two to twenty-five hundred bucks. I've seen his work at local car shows and didn't even know that some of the people I knew went to him for their builds. I'd like to do this, because this damn boat is just down right sluggish. Will I feel a huge improvement if I went this route?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's not gonna be a huge improvement but atleast you'll have a good platform for future mods

have you atleast priced local shops for head porting? I've seen some go for 300-400 for a decent port job, get some matching springs, then get a custom cam for $300 from Lloyd or look for a decent off the shelf cam used
Old 02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I would say there is definitely a potential for a big improvement, mildly ported heads and a carefully choosen cam can yield great results. I would suggest a cam around 240 with .575 and 110lsa, but should obviously compliment your overall build and intention.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would make more power if you just freshened up the STOCK bottom end, and put the head package you want on it.

I did that in the beginning with a VERY small cam and made about 380 to the wheels. Used the stock crank, some old style steel Chevy rods, Probe forged pistons.

Take it down, have the block checked for taper wear. If its ok, Hone it with torque plates. Replace the rings, rod, cam and main bearings, new oil pump, ARP rod bolts and put it back together.

If the block needs boring, bore it and put a set of $450 speed pro forged pistons in it.

SLap the head/cam package you want on it, have ALOT more fun with that than with a stock headed 383.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can not do a decent motor for $2500, pretty much have to be less than stock quality, far less.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You can not do a decent motor for $2500, pretty much have to be less than stock quality, far less.
Elaborate please, I just freshened a stock LS1 for about $850. Vat, hone, rod,main,cam bearings, rings, new oil pump, timing chain. This included machine work and the machine shop checking my rod and main clearances. I assembled it. That included all the parts.

Doing the same thing to a LT1 and having the machine shop assemble it would only be a couple hundred more.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

are you talking about parts or parts and labor?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
It would make more power if you just freshened up the STOCK bottom end, and put the head package you want on it.

I did that in the beginning with a VERY small cam and made about 380 to the wheels. Used the stock crank, some old style steel Chevy rods, Probe forged pistons.

Take it down, have the block checked for taper wear. If its ok, Hone it with torque plates. Replace the rings, rod, cam and main bearings, new oil pump, ARP rod bolts and put it back together.

If the block needs boring, bore it and put a set of $450 speed pro forged pistons in it.

SLap the head/cam package you want on it, have ALOT more fun with that than with a stock headed 383.
With your budget this is the way i would go. See if you can find somone local to clean up the heads and intake for a few hundred bucks. Than get a a biggger custom grind from LE. It will provide the most hp for your money.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

What this guy said.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Key word here is decent. If you want sub-par reliability and sub-par performance, $2500 might get you somewhere.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I mean including a new rotating assembly. Which would be necessary for the 383 this guy says he will be getting. Sounds like a longblock too, not just a shortblock so figure several hundred worth of springs and valvejob at least.

Not refreshing a stock motor. In refreshing a stock motor you have to buy less so the budget can be smaller.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yea it's for a whole new rotating assembly including the machine work. I did think about freshening up the bottom end up and slap some forged pistons in it and get theLE2 head cam package. I'm out of Seattle, so I can't have too much cam as I'd have to pass emissions out here. I will be going in tomorrow to be dropping off the block, heads, and intake. I had everything dissasembled so I can get the LE2 package. I guess I'll be going over a few scenarios with him tomorrow lol. I would like a 383 because of it's potential, but with stock heads really not much of an improvement over stock. Many say freshen the shortblock and throw some forged pistons in if needed then I can get the LE2, which is a huge improvement over stock. Well like I said I will be going in tomorrow to figure out what im going to do. Ahh soo much to think about today.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

a stock headed 383 or even lightly ported will not make anything close to what a Le2 heads, le1 cam car would put down.

And even if you do want to build the bottom end I wouldnt put all you money towards upping the cubes. That will do very little for power, I would put all my money to the heads, as they determine how much power the motor can make.

Have you thought about cheap forged pistons, arp hardware and stock crank and rods. It should be good for 450rwhp and would leave much more loot to spend on the top end?

I just see no reason to build a bigger motor that will always be held back by the heads??
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slomarao
a stock headed 383 or even lightly ported will not make anything close to what a Le2 heads, le1 cam car would put down.

And even if you do want to build the bottom end I wouldnt put all you money towards upping the cubes. That will do very little for power, I would put all my money to the heads, as they determine how much power the motor can make.

Have you thought about cheap forged pistons, arp hardware and stock crank and rods. It should be good for 450rwhp and would leave much more loot to spend on the top end?

I just see no reason to build a bigger motor that will always be held back by the heads??
Yea looks like I'm going to have to go that route. Just got to have to pick up those spendy comp roller rockers. Looks like stock crank with forged pistons. Forged rods a must or optional? I mean I am only going to be doing heads and cam for this motor.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sdotlog
Yea looks like I'm going to have to go that route. Just got to have to pick up those spendy comp roller rockers. Looks like stock crank with forged pistons. Forged rods a must or optional? I mean I am only going to be doing heads and cam for this motor.
Stock crank and rods are fine - just need the necessary machine-work.

Go with an aftermarket good set of rings and a nice forged piston.

And what do you mean "spendy comp roller rockers"? It's just another recommended cost when upgrading. IMO, NOT going with new roller rockers on LE heads is lunacy.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Stock crank and rods are fine - just need the necessary machine-work.

Go with an aftermarket good set of rings and a nice forged piston.

And what do you mean "spendy comp roller rockers"? It's just another recommended cost when upgrading. IMO, NOT going with new roller rockers on LE heads is lunacy.

Oh yea I'm definitely doing it, don't get me wrong. I'm also just going to go ahead and have the intake ported, if it's worth doing for a daily driver? The throttle body and injectors are just going to have to wait a bit.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 PM

I'm going thought the same scenario right now!!! I could care less about CI... im looking for the best bang for buck and Ive already decided on the LE2 with ported intake top end..... i got a bare block at the machine shop and they say 383 is the way to go with all new parts plus labor $ 3200 that just nuts!!!!! Ill prob have them clean the block up but ill be building it myself. I like the idea of just " refreshing" the stock bottom end. I need the pistons as some are cracked and the crank is scored by the bearings. So those will need to be replaced other then that... what should be changed while i have it apart??? from whats been posted i got , forged pistons, New piston rods?, aftermarket upgraded rings, new steel stock crank, cam and main bearings, new oil pump, ARP rod bolts, ......... any other recommendations. I really don't wanna replace something if its not worth in????? Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls#1-lt#1
I'm going thought the same scenario right now!!! I could care less about CI... im looking for the best bang for buck and Ive already decided on the LE2 with ported intake top end..... i got a bare block at the machine shop and they say 383 is the way to go with all new parts plus labor $ 3200 that just nuts!!!!! Ill prob have them clean the block up but ill be building it myself. I like the idea of just " refreshing" the stock bottom end. I need the pistons as some are cracked and the crank is scored by the bearings. So those will need to be replaced other then that... what should be changed while i have it apart??? from whats been posted i got , forged pistons, New piston rods?, aftermarket upgraded rings, new steel stock crank, cam and main bearings, new oil pump, ARP rod bolts, ......... any other recommendations. I really don't wanna replace something if its not worth in????? Thanks

Good to know I'm not the only one caught up in a bind. I'm going ahead with the freshening up of the bottom end with some good forged pistons. Just hoping the crank and rods are good. but if i can get out with just spending 3,000 to 3,500 bucks on the rebuilt bottom end and top end assembled I'd be happy, as I was almost about to waste nearly the same amount on a stock headed 383. Lol if it weren't for these guys here, I woulda went with the 383 build as it was the easier route, but less satifaction.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well got the shortblock dropped off at the shop and hopefully the crank and rods are salvagable. They checked out the cylinders of the block and said were amazed how they were hardly worn out. I went ahead and went with the forged mahle piston. I go back next monday to get the news. I just hope everything turns out as planned as I don't want to end up buying a whole new bottom end. If thats the case go with 383? Well atleast I'll look at the bright side. I sent my heads and intake in, so I'll have the head/cam setup I've wanted finally LOL.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Remember guys, cranks can be turned. I would not be scared of a .010 or a .020 crank on a normally aspirated 450hp engine, as long as the rotating assembly is balanced.

Quick Reply: LT1 383 Build