john
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent it to AI.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this sounds really ghetto, but I did it myself with it mounted on the car about a year ago as my engine builder forgot to port it out for the TB many years ago. Here is a guide I followed when I did it myself:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/96ss/58porting.htm

It was real easy, but make sure you take your time and also that you plug all the holes and cover the motor as instruced in the thread. Tons of guys say not to do it in place as you can get crap in the motor and that is true but the nice thing about sanding vs. using a grinder or dremel tool is the particles are dust and not chuncks of metal and very easy to clean up. Also, you can pickup a drill drum sander kit from Home Depot or Lowes for around $20 and I think I got a Husky one from Lowes. Let us know what you decide to do.

EDIT - Make sure to use the Sander Method as he talks about at the bottom of the page and NOT the grinder as in his pic. It is wayyyyy easier, cleaner and the sander will smooth it out vs. leaving uneaven surfaces.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cptmidway
sent it to ai.
who is ai?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

AI = www.advancedinduction.com

Also recommended is Llyod Elliots Portworks in TX. Both are gonna be a full port of the manifold, not just the TB area as described above and will run you several hundred dollars. There is quite a few home ported intake manifolds being sold on Ebay, some with decent powdercoating etc.. Just depends what you want. And of course now we have several aftermarket choices avail too...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you're just opening up the tb holes, do it yourself IMO
Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it yourself. It doesn't take long and is not very easy to mess up. Scribe the new gasket onto the manifold and Dremel out the opening.

If you want, I'll do it for you.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
I know this sounds really ghetto, but I did it myself with it mounted on the car about a year ago as my engine builder forgot to port it out for the TB many years ago. Here is a guide I followed when I did it myself:

It was real easy, but make sure you take your time and also that you plug all the holes and cover the motor as instruced in the thread. Tons of guys say not to do it in place as you can get crap in the motor and that is true but the nice thing about sanding vs. using a grinder or dremel tool is the particles are dust and not chuncks of metal and very easy to clean up. Also, you can pickup a drill drum sander kit from Home Depot or Lowes for around $20 and I think I got a Husky one from Lowes. Let us know what you decide to do.

EDIT - Make sure to use the Sander Method as he talks about at the bottom of the page and NOT the grinder as in his pic. It is wayyyyy easier, cleaner and the sander will smooth it out vs. leaving uneaven surfaces.
Thats what I plan to do when I get around to mounting my 58, but I had the idea of using a small engine tri-stone hone.
Like this:
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DAVE00

how long did it take you doing it this way
Thanks James

Quick Reply: port an LT-1 intake