LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Eagle doesn't recommend using fluid damper??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle doesn't recommend using fluid damper??

I called Eagle today about what they recommended for a harmonic balancer for their forged cranks. I was just planning on using a fluid damper, but i asked if that was a good choice and they said they didn't recommend it. I asked why, and all they would say was we just dont recommend it?? Anyone have any idea why??
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I run one on mine. No problems so far 8k on the motor.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i do not like fluid damper for the simple fact my balancer was DRY after 2-months they would not take care of it either!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
i do not like fluid damper for the simple fact my balancer was DRY after 2-months they would not take care of it either!
How could you tell it was 'dry'???

These are sealed units, I just don't see how anyone could tell, unless the seal was gone and there was evidence of leaking?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Or, could you hear the 'ring' inside rattling around?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless they can give you some concrete info, take it with a grain of salt. Lot of the guys who answer the phones are good at reading off sheet and recomending stuff. Every once in a while you go get some one who knows their stuff. I went with the ATI Super Dampner on mine, stock crank though.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
How could you tell it was 'dry'???

These are sealed units, I just don't see how anyone could tell, unless the seal was gone and there was evidence of leaking?
I was wondering the same? **** i better check mine, also while im there ill check my "Blinker Fluid", don't want it to dry up either lol j/k.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

I mean, honestly, I have one one my 350 Z28 right now and with the new 383 I was planning on moving it over to it...

Now, I have done some research and there is some 'controversy' (or shall I say 'grumbling' as the quantity of commentary is so low) on the internet in regards to Fluidamper and NASCAR, as well as BBC crank snouts breaking with them, and some saying that SCAT or Eagle don't recommend them...

But, the biggest thing here is, there is no concrete information that I could find in regards to guidelines of what is failing, how it is happening, under what circumstances (such as >7000rpm?) or inwhat applications (as in is it a BBC version issue?), etc...

In checking with a number of people I trust in the engine building world there are some that state that Fluidamper is the only thing they will run for a street motor, and others state they choose ATI or Rattlers, but the biggest concensus is that ANYTHING SFI is fine on a street motor running less than 7000rpm and <700hp... Above that is where people start getting particular...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I was wondering the same? **** i better check mine, also while im there ill check my "Blinker Fluid", don't want it to dry up either lol j/k.
this was back in the early 90s on my 482 big block, i contacted fluidamper they did not want to warranty it they even stated it was dry inside and wanted to charge me 50.00 to get another and when i asked how did that happen, what could have caused this etc. they were unsure as to how that would have happened so i went and got an ATI.

i have friends with them also that have had no issues in-fact one friend has had his since the early 90s.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

So you guys think i'd be ok running a fluid damper on a eagle crank?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93 black t/a
So you guys think i'd be ok running a fluid damper on a eagle crank?
For an LT1, for me I feel comfortable enough to run one myself on my new 383.

I found nothing in all my searches that point to any sort of LT1 failure with one, or any sort of issues with LT1s running Fluidampers.

And I am even going to be running it with a SCAT 9000 crank, yet I don't see any potential issues. I am going to be staying below 7000rpm and looking at 550hp at the crank...
Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't feel comfortable running an Eagle crank.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I wouldn't feel comfortable running an Eagle crank.
Are they really that bad? I'm worried now the more i hear about them. To bad I've already made my purchase.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It could be in regards to Eagle being aware of having problems with their crank snouts being out of tolerance.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93 black t/a
I called Eagle today about what they recommended for a harmonic balancer for their forged cranks. I was just planning on using a fluid damper, but i asked if that was a good choice and they said they didn't recommend it. I asked why, and all they would say was we just dont recommend it?? Anyone have any idea why??
On drag race aplications. The fluid is thick and will cause the balencer to be unbalenced for the fist few seconds. I as being one that have used 2 or 3 before i saw this test at NIX racing engines. He had broke the snout off of a sunny bryant crank and another and he thought that it was a balancing issue. The comon thing in the engines where the use of fluid dappers. He balanced the crank and put it in a lath centerend it up and put the damper on it put it in highest gear and let it fly i thought it was going to bounce completly off the floor. He stopped and run it slow for a few a minute or less the started it back up fast and it was smooth. Was kinda funny . He said round track or street cars theses where really good dampers but did not recomend them for real drag race aplications. I also ask Jeff Burns of Performance engines back then as he was my machinest and he said pretty much the same thing. I use the TCI unit have hade an issue are to but nothing that was not fixed.

Quick Reply: Eagle doesn't recommend using fluid damper??