LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looking for a cam.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a cam.

Im looking to find a good cam for my caprice. I want a little more power than a LT4 hot cam but nothing to crazy, and something that will work fine with LT4 valve springs and 1.6 roller rockers. any ideas?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1capriceclassic
Im looking to find a good cam for my caprice. I want a little more power than a LT4 hot cam but nothing to crazy, and something that will work fine with LT4 valve springs and 1.6 roller rockers. any ideas?
The best cam for your provided criteria is the LT4 hotcam. LT4 springs were designed to be used with the LT4 camshaft. Anything more aggressive will require more lift, beyond the capabilities of the springs.

Changing the valve springs to Comp 987s, 918s, etc., will open up dozens of cam choices. Why don't you want to change them?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually with the heavy LT1 svalves the LT4 springs are NOT enough and they do not reliably fit the iron b-body heads.

The LT4 springs if they did fit are extremely weak, not up to the task of any modern aftermarket cams.

Some of the spring options that fit aluminum heads do not fit the iron so be careful choosing.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Actually with the heavy LT1 svalves the LT4 springs are NOT enough and they do not reliably fit the iron b-body heads.

The LT4 springs if they did fit are extremely weak, not up to the task of any modern aftermarket cams.

Some of the spring options that fit aluminum heads do not fit the iron so be careful choosing.
Question Cap, since the Vortec heads are based off the B-Body LT1 heads, would it be a fair assumption that the springs that'd fit the Vortecs would fit the Iron LT1s? And will Alu LT1 springs work on the Vortecs/Center Bolt(TBI) heads? I ask because I got a set of the LT1 springs free to replace the ones in this TBI motor we slapped together with a B-Body cam, which damn near bottoms those springs out heh If they won't work I'll have to let my buddy know so he can either work on the heads so they will or get new ones. Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

The iron heads often have a HUGE valve guide to locate the springs from the inside. The problem this causes is many performance single sprigs(non-beehive) have a damper and locating the spring by the ID instead of OD leaves no room for the damper.

I have never handled the Vortecs but it would be reasonable to think GM would have handled those the same way as the LT1 iron heads.
Try whatever spring you have onhand and see if they fit the heads you are playing with.
A couple guys have claimed to get LT4 springs to fit LT1 iron heads hence the "reliably fit iron heads" disclaimer in my post. Been done, just can not be counted upon to work.

Long as I am posting again I will elaborate on the LT1 valves being heavy comment. The LT4 valves are hollow on the intake and sodium filled exhaust, good bit lighter than LT1 valves and that makes them easier to control.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I presume said damper is the coil on the inside there.
http://www.cranecams.org/images/down...0(PN96805).jpg

What's it's actual purpose, as in what is it dampening? I'll have to double check the springs on the Vortec and the LT1 ones I got to see if they have the damper in them, then test fit one.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Yes the sheet metal spring is the damper. Dampens spring harmonics. Some springs sold for the iron heads just have the dampers removed with mixed results on the spring life, sometimes they crack due to not having the damper, sometimes they are OK.

That is another thing about beehives, since the coils are all different they cancel out eachother's harmonics.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The best cam for your provided criteria is the LT4 hotcam. LT4 springs were designed to be used with the LT4 camshaft. Anything more aggressive will require more lift, beyond the capabilities of the springs.

Changing the valve springs to Comp 987s, 918s, etc., will open up dozens of cam choices. Why don't you want to change them?
Are you kidding me? Thats what you suggest?

Im so sick of people so stuck on this peice of **** cam when you can have a great one from A.I. or bret/ elliot
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Read his whole post. Looks to me like the only reason he grudgingly said the HOT cam was because of the crappy LT4 springs the OP wants to use.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

id call up lloyd or AI and tell them what you want. def a torquey cam for a car that size. my 223/230 cam should hold its own with plenty of bottom and mid range power for you. i cant give much more advice on that cam. im in the process of installing it right now
Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

You can also use ls6 springs on the iron head, but I don't think they would be able to handle much more than the lt4 springs.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

the hotcam isn't that bad of a cam, but unless you're getting a real good deal on it there's no reason not to pony up a little extra for a much more optimal custom grind
Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the sheet metal spring is the damper. Dampens spring harmonics. Some springs sold for the iron heads just have the dampers removed with mixed results on the spring life, sometimes they crack due to not having the damper, sometimes they are OK.

That is another thing about beehives, since the coils are all different they cancel out eachother's harmonics.
Thanks

Looks like we won't have any problems with the stock springs on those Vortec heads
Cam that's in the other motor currently:
LT1 BBodies: 191°/196° 0.418"/0.430" lift 111° LSA
Cam in that 98 Vortec:
L-31 Vortec: 192°/197° 0.413"/0.427" lift 111° LSA
Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slick1851
Are you kidding me? Thats what you suggest?

Im so sick of people so stuck on this peice of **** cam when you can have a great one from A.I. or bret/ elliot
Step one. See below response.

Read his whole post. Looks to me like the only reason he grudgingly said the HOT cam was because of the crappy LT4 springs the OP wants to use.
Step two. Remove bunch from panties.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

OWNED!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Teching In

I heard that the LT4 valve springs work fine with the zz-9 cam from tpis so i figured that the LT4 hotcam wouldnt be my only cam option.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Step one. See below response.

Hes driving a big body car, a cam better suited for his car would be much much better.

Sorry im not trying to act like a know it all like you, im giving him correct info.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hes driving a big body car, a cam better suited for his car would be much much better.

Sorry im not trying to act like a know it all like you, im giving him correct info.

Dude. You obviously still don't get it. Even Cap explained it to you.

I recommended the LT4 cam because he doesn't want to change valve springs. Therefore his only probable option is the LT4 cam. Of course a custom grind is the way to go in ANY case.

Gahhhh!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

A hot cam wasn’t intended for a big body car, I clearly read what both of you posted. I’m not a fan of the hot cam, and its always suggested on this forum all the time.

I’m suggesting he gets something that is better suited for his car to get that big body moving better.

Why even bother using the lt4 springs and let that be your factor in how your setting up the car. Why have the springs hold you back from the cam you can use, your really limiting your options. You can find good deals on springs. Id be more worried about what kind of cam is going into the car, and what converter it will like. All that plays a big roll in how the cars going to perform, its spending a lil more to get a lot back

Last edited by slick1851; 03-21-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

A hot cam wasn’t intended for a big body car, I clearly read what both of you posted. I’m not a fan of the hot cam, and its always suggested on this forum all the time.

I’m suggesting he gets something that is better suited for his car to get that big body moving better.

Why even bother using the lt4 springs and let that be your factor in how your setting up the car. Why have the springs hold you back from the cam you can use, your really limiting your options. You can find good deals on springs. Id be more worried about what kind of cam is going into the car, and what converter it will like. All that plays a big roll in how the cars going to perform, its spending a lil more to get a lot back
This is exactly what I meant, in less words. Good info.

Quick Reply: looking for a cam.