LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP! car dies below 1000rpms

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! car dies below 1000rpms

Ok so i want to shoot myself right now here is the problem....

as most of you know i'm doin an AI cam swap and i'm having a hell of a time so here is the situation i got the motor all back together and its being really a pain in the rear to start. Its a brand new battery and a brand new powermaster higher torque starter. So i dont know why that is? It would not start with the belt on there then i took the belt off and it did (after a little fight) so that is one question, Why is it being so tough on starting?

Now once it gets started it will not idle below 1000-1500Rpms. Its a preety big cam on a stock tune (going to speed inc this saturday for tune). I don't have o2 sensors yet and the EGR plate on the header is still open, could those be why? I just want everything to be as good as it can be before speed inc this weekend.

Is there anyway that if the Opti could be on wrong? it is in the correct slot but is there anyway that the rotor could like 180*'s off or something? my neighbor who is a mechanic is thinking its a spark issue?

Any ideas guys? I'm beyond frustrated and need to get this running better before saturday....

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Ok so i want to shoot myself right now here is the problem....

as most of you know i'm doin an AI cam swap and i'm having a hell of a time so here is the situation i got the motor all back together and its being really a pain in the rear to start. Its a brand new battery and a brand new powermaster higher torque starter. So i dont know why that is? It would not start with the belt on there then i took the belt off and it did (after a little fight) so that is one question, Why is it being so tough on starting?

Now once it gets started it will not idle below 1000-1500Rpms. Its a preety big cam on a stock tune (going to speed inc this saturday for tune). I don't have o2 sensors yet and the EGR plate on the header is still open, could those be why? I just want everything to be as good as it can be before speed inc this weekend.

Is there anyway that if the Opti could be on wrong? it is in the correct slot but is there anyway that the rotor could like 180*'s off or something? my neighbor who is a mechanic is thinking its a spark issue?

Any ideas guys? I'm beyond frustrated and need to get this running better before saturday....

Thanks!
Couple things.

Having no O2s on cold start-up won't hurt a thing. The O2s aren't even used until the PCM enters closed loop.

Depending on how big the cam is, the stock tune isn't helping much either.

You should also consider the possibility that you have a plug wire crossed. The opti can really only go on one way, unless you force it on incorrectly, at which point you should know something is wrong.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Couple things.

Having no O2s on cold start-up won't hurt a thing. The O2s aren't even used until the PCM enters closed loop.

Depending on how big the cam is, the stock tune isn't helping much either.

You should also consider the possibility that you have a plug wire crossed. The opti can really only go on one way, unless you force it on incorrectly, at which point you should know something is wrong.

I traced all the plug wires and they are on correct.

On the opti even if the rotor got spun while it was off the motor that doesn't hurt anything?

Any other ideas?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I traced all the plug wires and they are on correct.

On the opti even if the rotor got spun while it was off the motor that doesn't hurt anything?

Any other ideas?
As long as you seated the pin in the correct slot it'll be fine. There are three potential positions you could put it in, but only one of the slots is deep enough to fully engage the pin.

Are you using a stock throttle body?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so i know its in the correct slot cause its seated all the way now. So that's outa the picture... Any other ideas on the dying below about 1500?

Any ideas why it can't crank over without being jumped? and is still rough when it is jumped?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok so i know its in the correct slot cause its seated all the way now. So that's outa the picture... Any other ideas on the dying below about 1500?

Any ideas why it can't crank over without being jumped? and is still rough when it is jumped?
If you have the starter wired correctly (including GOOD grounds), the battery terminals are nice and clean, the cables/insulation are in good shape and the battery has a good charge, and the starter isn't misaligned, then there really shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The terminals are brand new, battery is brand new, starter is also. I will check all the grounds and wires and such but they should all be in good condition.

Any ides on the dying below 1000rpms?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

The terminals are brand new, battery is brand new, starter is also. I will check all the grounds and wires and such but they should all be in good condition.

Any ides on the dying below 1000rpms?
Could be the tune really. With the new cam you need a higher idle.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

an idle about 1500 rpms? i mean that is the only place it will actually sit and idle...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

And to confirm on the opti, there is no way it could be on wrong if it is in the correct slot and fully seated? No chance of it being like on the wrong rotation or anything?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

would you happen to have a lightweight flywheel also? just curious
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, stock flywheel....
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

maybe you don't have enough timing. with very large cams you need more timing at idle. stock is 20 degrees at 800 rpm and 30 at 1200 rpm. with a big cam you will need a tune to increase both your idle rpm to around 900 and bump the idle timing up to about 34. also did you install bigger injectors too? that will also cause the car to bog as those need to be tuned for.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

ok never mind then ive seen that happen alot in cars with a stock tune and a lightweight flywheel
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is the cam again? 224/230?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i know that cam ran like **** in my old car but it did idle on its own....
Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C_Rules
maybe you don't have enough timing. with very large cams you need more timing at idle. stock is 20 degrees at 800 rpm and 30 at 1200 rpm. with a big cam you will need a tune to increase both your idle rpm to around 900 and bump the idle timing up to about 34. also did you install bigger injectors too? that will also cause the car to bog as those need to be tuned for.
That would all be in the tune right? the degrees of timing that is?

Originally Posted by AChotrod
How big is the cam again? 224/230?
AI 226/234

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
yea i know that cam ran like **** in my old car but it did idle on its own....
Ya thats what i'm thinking, it should idle on it's own? I just gotta figure this out before i take it to speed inc...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Teching In

I really COULD see most of your issues, yes, coming from a lack of tune. Think about all perimeters involved, including spark timing, MAP, MAF, and idle fuel mixtures even so. You have no o2's in, so your running in open loop regardless, and so your mixtures are not even being aloud to be adjusted, simply running off the pre-determined tables in the computer for a factory LT-1 setup, and at that you must be throwing some trouble codes... With my old headers I was throwing a right bank lean, from an exhaust leak, so I think it may have been dumping fuel. Chances are your computer is doing alot of weird things at this point. Tie up all your loose ends, and get it to SpeedINC, have Ion throw a baseline tune in it, and spin it on the dyno. Although I do admit, the starter thing is weird... as if the motor is working against itself. Good luck man, and if you need anything before saturday hit me up.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

correct timing is in your tune. did you install bigger injectors too? if you did put the stock ones back. the car might idle with the stock injectors. also try cracking your throttle body blades open a little bit using the adjustment screw. you can do those two things, see what happens and once you get to speed inc swap the injectors again close the blades.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock injectors are still in there.

I'm going to overnight the computer to get a base tune on it. Thinking the timing and tune is just way way off...

Quick Reply: HELP! car dies below 1000rpms