LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I think its because v8's sound alot better than the annoying buzz of a ricer or the insane midrange drone of a bimmer (unless its am with a v8). but i do love bimmers, i drove an m3 and it was pretty cool, it was the 330hp il6, so i was weird hearing a 6cyl and being quick.lol
lol yeah i had the E36 M3, it was pretty quick too. not as fast as the Lt1 though of course
Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah and not as cool in almost evry aspect, especially the interior, i think the 4th gen ta's have the best interior you can get out of a domestic car. But the handling in any m series bimmer is crazy, i dint even drive it for 10 mins before i was doing 75mph drifts lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Anything over 60 DB here will not pass emissions. I actually failed Smog/Emissions with my Magnaflow and mids last year because it registered at 61.2...stupid I know. On the other hand I have never had any issues with the Police. Magnaflow even has a 50 states legal sticker they send with their cat-backs. My question is, how the hell do these loud *** ricer Honda's make it through Emissions with their Nasa approved rocket ship exhaust systems? It's all pretty much a joke in my eyes, emissions/smog that is. Before we know it we are all going to be on horseback and cruising around in wagons again.
GO GREEN!
50 state legal but that is with cats on the car
Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Lolol
Attached Thumbnails Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?-handling.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djjab57
50 state legal but that is with cats on the car
Yup yup that is correct
Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's your problem.

Illinois *****....pfft...I hate Illinois *****
Old 03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I have gotten pulled over running open headers many times, but never for it being too loud. Stupid things like headlight out, going 155mph in a 40, etc. I guess they don't have a noise ordinance down here in sofla
Old 03-28-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 90% sure that a standard police officer can't do anything about exhaust UNLESS: There is a Noise Ordinance in the city/county/state you are traveling in, OR if the officer is DoT certified. They have to be the former for at least the cats, but I'm pretty sure they only need a decibel meter for the ordinance. They can pull you over and CALL the DoT though, and then they can cite you for no cats. That's why you always see truckers being inspected by State Patrol and given tickets for lights out, as Troopers are all DoT certified

Anyways, most of the time they want to push their power past the limit of which they actually have. I encounted this when a cop tried to give me a bumper clearance ticket when I had my lifted Suburban. I asked if she was DoT certified and she said that someone who was, was coming to check them. She walked to the back of my truck and started talking over her radio, I only presume to ask about what I had said lol She then came back up saying something like "He's busy so you can go now" -_- Had I not known that, she'd have given me a ticket even if she technically couldn't. I'm also pretty sure that police offices have to sit in plain view, like when they're parked at night they need their parking lights on. There's been a few times I've seen them parked w/o them on, and we've contemplated calling them in on it Now mind you, being behind a tree or something and when you pass they're in plain view, different story.

Just check your local or state .gov site and check on the laws.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I have gotten pulled over running open headers many times, but never for it being too loud. Stupid things like headlight out, going 155mph in a 40, etc. I guess they don't have a noise ordinance down here in sofla
jose got pulled over on thursday because the cop said his exhaust was to loud on the 240 lol.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
I'm 90% sure that a standard police officer can't do anything about exhaust UNLESS: There is a Noise Ordinance in the city/county/state you are traveling in, OR if the officer is DoT certified. They have to be the former for at least the cats
You are saying a cop can't pull you over and site you for lack of/fauly emissions equipment unless there is a noise ordinance?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes. any catback system is 100% legal emissions wise.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

god bless the state of florida. no emissions testing. i think all states should be this way.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
yes. any catback system is 100% legal emissions wise.
Depends. In order for any component to become 50 state emissions compliant it needs the blessing of an Executive Order number from CARB.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

i think its bs about the whole sound thing cuz i get woken up all the time because people going to the biker club on there Harley Davidsons. those are way to loud!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I think its because v8's sound alot better than the annoying buzz of a ricer or the insane midrange drone of a bimmer
that high frequency buzz is way more obnoxious than any of our cars. they just make noise, V8's have some tone to them.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
I had my hooker catback installed a few weeks ago and today I went to a exhaust shop to have them weld up my y-pipe to the mid pipe. So as I was coming home a cop pulled me over for loud exhaust...he says anything thats not factory is illegal. I was pissed cause weeks early I was stopped for the same thing but that time was understandable cause I only had the exhaust dump before the axle so it was loud. This time the car is tame at idle even with the cam. I know the cop was being an *** cause soon as he let me go there was dark /orange trans am that past me and the cop whipped a u-turn and stopped him too !
illinois here too...i was ticketed for being loud driving home from the movies...pacesetter mid tube,cats,y pipe,magnaflows back..went to court and was dropped as soon as i got called up (lol he also ticketed me for not having a front plate )
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

For all those who hate the biker noise, I ride...or used to and will again when I get another bike eventually...and I have an understanding for why they do it. Some do it just because they want to be as loud and obnoxious as possible because they hate their daily grind job and pretend to be bad *** bikers on the weekends with their brand new Harley's. But the rest of us have a louder than stock exhaust because about 10 times a day when we ride, we get pushed off the road by some jerkoff on a cell phone or whatever not paying attention merging into our lanes without signals or anything...pushing us off the road or forcing us to slam on brakes...almost die...you get where I'm going. Now when some Harley or loud piped motorcycle is sitting next to you, the fact that you are annoyed at how loud it is assures you know they are there...hence your annoyance at the loudness of it :-p

As far as car exhaust, anything that is not DOT approved in some fashion and any lacking in stock emissions equipment is going to be illegal almost everywhere. Also, when it comes to the cat, you can't replace that unless the original is like 5 years old, failed an emissions test, or is missing most of the time as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kirkjames90
i think its bs about the whole sound thing cuz i get woken up all the time because people going to the biker club on there Harley Davidsons. those are way to loud!
Sorry man, but there is no way that an American made V-twin can be way too loud.....
...just no way....

Which is why cool bikes usually don't get noise tickets!

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 03-29-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97 Trans Am ws6
illinois here too...i was ticketed for being loud driving home from the movies...pacesetter mid tube,cats,y pipe,magnaflows back..went to court and was dropped as soon as i got called up (lol he also ticketed me for not having a front plate )
man i always get pulled over for no front plate its starting to suck
Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

So basically I just say Buck the police and keep on movin. Note to self...never drive through Yorkville, Illinois

Quick Reply: Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?