LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Because you're implying that they can cite you for any state law. It's a STATE LAW in Minnesota that your bumper clearance (1ton+ are exempt) cannot exceed 25" above ground, hence semi's having those drop bumper bars. With that said, your run of the mill cop cannot cite you in MN for bumper clearance unless he is DoT certified, even though it's a STATE LAW. Reason is, because it falls under DoT regulations, just like emission laws. Hence my fairly certain assumption that they also cannot cite you for not having cats.
I tell you, a police officer has the authority to enforce any law in the state they are employed in while patrolling their jurisdiction. State Police are more prone to go after inspection/emissions type offenses because they have more knowledge of such things, however any cop can give you a ticket if your vehicle does not comply with state law.

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
CARB doesnt have EOs for catbacks because anything other than a cutout or whistle tip or straight piping behind the cat is legal
If it is for street use it sure does. Call any aftermarket shop and talk to someone who may have a clue what an Executive Order number is and you'll find out for yourself. If it doesn't have an EO number then it clearly states "For off road use only."
Something real twisted- Lingenfelter sells engines that have an EO number, however the parts used to build the engine may not. Reason being is obtaining an EO number is expensive therefore no company will try to apply for one with every component used.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pulled over twice when I had the LM1 on. Luckily got warnings both times..I'm running TD's now and it's a lot louder but seem to have steered away from the cops so far.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

according to CARB's website as long as there is an "adequate muffler", does not exceed 95 decibels, have a cutout or whistle tip it is perfectly legal. if you are worried about the whole noise ordinance get a magnaflow.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I tell you, a police officer has the authority to enforce any law in the state they are employed in while patrolling their jurisdiction. State Police are more prone to go after inspection/emissions type offenses because they have more knowledge of such things, however any cop can give you a ticket if your vehicle does not comply with state law.
OK Boss...

Under the Traffic Regulations section of Minnesota Law.

Subd. 3. Inspector certification; suspension and revocation; hearing. (a) An inspection required by this section may be performed only by:

(1) an employee of the Department of Public Safety or Transportation who has been certified by the commissioner after having received training provided by the State Patrol; or

(2) another person who has been certified by the commissioner after having received training provided by the State Patrol or other training approved by the commissioner.
This is under the commercial vehicle inspection subsection. Which is still a "law" and yet your run of the mill police officer CANNOT DO (see: enforce) with out the proper training (see: certificate) by the DoPS or DoT!

Now, I understand your reading comprehension sucks and you'll ask me "What does this have to do with exhaust?", like you asked me about bumper clearance. So I'll answer it now: You are claiming a police officer can enforce ANY law of the state while they're in their jurisdiction, and I just proved to you that you are incorrect in your claim (assumption would be more accurate in this instance). A police officer must be certified in certain cases, it just happens that the one I pointed out was the first/easiest one I came across. Had I the time to go through EVERY single code/subsection, I'm sure I could find more.

See folks, I do know what I'm talking about from time to time
Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Village Troll

I spoke with a VA State Police Information officer. For the state of VA it depends on city ordinance and also depends on what type of emissions equipment violation. There are examples, like the one you provided where only State Police have the authority. However I do know MD and VA city and county police officers who've cited drivers for exhaust/emissions equipment violations and have been to court with friends who've had to prove their exhaust was compliant.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Village Troll

Just got off the phone with a Minnesota State Police Information officer. It was stated that any officer, whether it is city, state or county can make a stop and issue a citation for any vehicle emissions equipment/ vehicle equipment violation regardless whether or not it is a bumper or a muffler or a catalytic converter(s). It was also stated that any officer whether it be city or county can stop any commercial vehicle for a vehicle emissions equipment/vehicle equipment violation, however will call for a State Police Officer to conduct a road side inspection.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
That's not what I'm saying at all.
You may not be saying it, in so many words, but it's the net result of the "loud for safety of the rider" theory. I really don't appreciate 100+db blasts past my house, all hours of the night.....
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just got off the phone with a Minnesota State Police Information officer. It was stated that any officer, whether it is city, state or county can make a stop and issue a citation for any vehicle emissions equipment/ vehicle equipment violation regardless whether or not it is a bumper or a muffler or a catalytic converter(s). It was also stated that any officer whether it be city or county can stop any commercial vehicle for a vehicle emissions equipment/vehicle equipment violation, however will call for a State Police Officer to conduct a road side inspection.
Just odd that my friend has done the same thing, and also has a cop as a step dad to confirm it all, which contradicts what you'd said. I'd also be damn surprised if any superior officer, or court official, would speak up saying that the officer was not with in his power to offer the ticket/citation for whatever it may be. Such as the bumper clearance, after I said what I had to the lady, don't you think she would've said "I don't need to be DoT certified to cite you for bumper clearance violation"? Instead of letting me go as was the case...?

Not only that, but now what you're saying is that many points this website makes are incorrect, even if they're directly taken from the MN Code book. This being one, to weigh a vehicle the only time a police officer may do so is under the supervision or direction (presumed to be present at the time) of an official who is trained to do the weighing.
http://law.justia.com/minnesota/codes/160/169-s85.html

I'd like to know the specific codes that allow your average police officer to cite a motorist for violations of certain things, at least specifically bumper clearance and exhaust.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Village Troll

I believe the link you provided is for commercial vehicles and as I stated and what the IO stated is that any officer can stop a commercial vehicle, but will call SP for a roadside inspection. I choose to believe them as well as my police friends as well as my friends who've been pulled over for exhaust/equip. violations over you. If you have a question regarding this then I'd suggest calling them and asking instead of spending your time arguing on this thread.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I believe the link you provided is for commercial vehicles and as I stated and what the IO stated is that any officer can stop a commercial vehicle, but will call SP for a roadside inspection. I choose to believe them as well as my police friends as well as my friends who've been pulled over for exhaust/equip. violations over you. If you have a question regarding this then I'd suggest calling them and asking instead of spending your time arguing on this thread.
Then we're just going to have to disagree since I already stated that what cops, a cop relative to my friend and a state patrol have said, contradict what you've said. Which is why I asked for the specific code in the book that is saying that any officer can cite someone.

And of course an officer can STOP a commercial vehicle, but they can't ticket them, be it roadside or not. Which goes against what you're saying, being they can.

So I'll agree with you on the point of believing what I've been told, over what someone across the net is telling me.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Village Troll

It is not what I am telling you. It is not my opinion. It is what a Minnesota State Patrol Information officer told me. As stated, you can keep pontificating or call for yourself.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You may not be saying it, in so many words, but it's the net result of the "loud for safety of the rider" theory. I really don't appreciate 100+db blasts past my house, all hours of the night.....
I was going to leave this alone, but I don't care who you are, if you're VEHICLE exceeds 100 dbs you shouldn't be driving it at 2AM period. Once you ride a bike to work for more than a day or two, you'll get the whole people not paying attention to you on the road...and being on a bike when they blast into you is a hell of a lot more deadly than when you are surrounded by your 3000+ lb. metal car...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is not what I am telling you. It is not my opinion. It is what a Minnesota State Patrol Information officer told me. As stated, you can keep pontificating or call for yourself.
Well I don't know what the difference between an "Information Officer" and an officer who is out enforcing the law, but my info comes from the latter. Again, I have no reason to call when I've GOTTEN the info from numerous creditable sources (that website not being one of them heh).

And technically it is what you're telling me lol If it's not you telling me, who has possessed your account? O_O Poor wording aside, it was you who was telling me to begin with, now it's just you relaying information. Which I still take with a grain of salt unless you recorded the conversations and had plans to put them up for us to listen to. Which still is one "Information Officer" against at least 2 that have told me and by friend differently.

That same friend on many occasions has called and talked to cops on different subjects, specifically regarding noise ordinance due to being cited for it in his Diesel (which he called numerous counties and a trooper, took the info to court and won the case), bumper clearance and even what it takes for a vehicle to be street legal. As we chopped the top off a 4dr S10 blazer and needed to know what was required to be legal, which was just a 4" tall windshield, 2 mirrors and lap belts (doors are required in MN, but we still had them).
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Village Troll

I just got off the phone with an officer from the St. Paul Police Department. They confirm they do indeed have the authority to stop a vehicle, conduct an inspection on that vehicle to see if all emissions/exhaust/equipment are in compliance with state law. The IO said this could be done only after a stoppable offense occurred. I did not ask about commercial vehicles.
If you want to educate yourself on what an Information Officer is then I highly suggest you call any police bureau and speak to one.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Yes indeed they have the authority to stop and check ANY vehicle here in Oregon too. I would think this would apply to pretty much everywhere this particular law/s is in effect.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

ive been pulled over once just cruising, got out of it and got complimented in the process
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
... I just think it's extremely stupid that Harleys and basically any bikes can be louder than ****, and the cops don't give a damn. But, if a car is even half as loud as a bike, you're going to get pulled over.
I've always felt the same way. It's ludicrous.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

booo... i got pulled over by a city cop up here for loud exhaust. All i had were flowmaster mufflers and no resonators at the time. Said it was illegal for me to have that and as he was saying all of this, 2 rice burner imports come zooming by. I replied "You mean that's illegal right?" he then coughs and says "make sure you get that plate on your bumper, next time is a ticket." LOL
Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by impaled
same over here. i have WOT'd to pull out in traffic to see a cop next to me and have him pull over a civic a mile down the road. i have Pacesetters ORY and Magnaflow.

they dont really mess with muscle cars around here anyways. thank god.
kind of the same thing here, makes me happy, muscle cars dont really get screwed with but the little rice mobiles do
Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
I had my hooker catback installed a few weeks ago and today I went to a exhaust shop to have them weld up my y-pipe to the mid pipe. So as I was coming home a cop pulled me over for loud exhaust...he says anything thats not factory is illegal. I was pissed cause weeks early I was stopped for the same thing but that time was understandable cause I only had the exhaust dump before the axle so it was loud. This time the car is tame at idle even with the cam. I know the cop was being an *** cause soon as he let me go there was dark /orange trans am that past me and the cop whipped a u-turn and stopped him too !
If you drive over in Wheaton, ull get exhaust and front plate tickets for just driving the speed limit and accelerating at a normal pace lol. Im talking whipping U-turns just to do so lol.

Quick Reply: Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?