LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, bloomington IL here and the cops are crazy...I've gotten several no front license plate tix and a few time cops pull me over for loud exhaust but have yet to recieve a ticket for that. I find it ironic that I get tickets left and right in my camaro, however my chevelle is quite a bit louder (and less legal) and i never get a ticket in that car. Cops pull me over but never mention the loud exhaust.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Here where I live the cops hand out "Modified Exhaust Tickets" like they are candy. They say that anything that is not stock or came from the factory is illegal.they don't care about how loud it is, they just use the sound to attract them to the ones that have "modified exhaust". Lol muffer, tips, headers, anything basically, any of these and they can give you a ticket for modified exhaust.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93cz28
jose got pulled over on thursday because the cop said his exhaust was to loud on the 240 lol.
You mean JosB?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Launching!

a few months ago i received a modified exhaust ticket. i have 3'' true duals that dump before my axle w/ ps lt's. it was a 144.00 ticket. funny thing is careless driving is a 150.00 ticket. so i guess having a modified exhaust is almost as bad as careless driving
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
For all those who hate the biker noise, I ride...or used to and will again when I get another bike eventually...and I have an understanding for why they do it. Some do it just because they want to be as loud and obnoxious as possible because they hate their daily grind job and pretend to be bad *** bikers on the weekends with their brand new Harley's. But the rest of us have a louder than stock exhaust because about 10 times a day when we ride, we get pushed off the road by some jerkoff on a cell phone or whatever not paying attention merging into our lanes without signals or anything...pushing us off the road or forcing us to slam on brakes...almost die...you get where I'm going. Now when some Harley or loud piped motorcycle is sitting next to you, the fact that you are annoyed at how loud it is assures you know they are there...hence your annoyance at the loudness of it :-p
So, what you're saying, is that in the summer, when I have my windows open for a little fresh air, and I'm trying to sleep, I'm supposed to be OK with all the muffler-less jerk-offs on their Harleys, who are roaring out of the bar that's TWO MILES from my house at closing time (2AM)? Better yet, they're the same jerk-offs, who were roaring past my house 2 hours before, when the got off from the second shift at the Xerox plant, that's about 3 miles in the opposite direction!! Sorry, guy, but I DON'T BUY IT!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
For all those who hate the biker noise, I ride...or used to and will again when I get another bike eventually...and I have an understanding for why they do it. Some do it just because they want to be as loud and obnoxious as possible because they hate their daily grind job and pretend to be bad *** bikers on the weekends with their brand new Harley's. But the rest of us have a louder than stock exhaust because about 10 times a day when we ride, we get pushed off the road by some jerkoff on a cell phone or whatever not paying attention merging into our lanes without signals or anything...pushing us off the road or forcing us to slam on brakes...almost die...you get where I'm going. Now when some Harley or loud piped motorcycle is sitting next to you, the fact that you are annoyed at how loud it is assures you know they are there...hence your annoyance at the loudness of it :-p

As far as car exhaust, anything that is not DOT approved in some fashion and any lacking in stock emissions equipment is going to be illegal almost everywhere. Also, when it comes to the cat, you can't replace that unless the original is like 5 years old, failed an emissions test, or is missing most of the time as well.
I never said i hated it just dont like how they can be loud and get away with it but a car cant...

and maby i want my car to be loud to let people know im there to cuz not many people pay attention even in a big car they will be on the phone and just switch lanes without even looking... or it could wake up a sleepy driver so they dont fall asleep and run into you lol
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You are saying a cop can't pull you over and site you for lack of/fauly emissions equipment unless there is a noise ordinance?
He can pull you over for whatever he wants, but I'm darn sure that unless he's got the certification to do so, no he can't cite you for the exhaust itself. And still I think he can only cite you for breach of noise ordinance if he has a dB meter.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
I'm darn sure... I think...
You think or are you sure? Whatever it is you are wrong. A cop can cite you for "improper exhaust" and list the components missing. It is then up to you to prove to the court your exhaust complies with all state laws.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

down here in FL any cop can give you a loud exhaust ticket, but only FDOT (dept of trans.) can cite you for lack of emissions equipment. and i have only seen one or two of them in five years.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Village Troll

Any law enforcement officer can cite you for emissions tampering/lack of emissions equipment if they so chose. Ultimately they are hired by the state and have the authority to uphold all state laws. They usually don't because most don't know what a catalytic converter is or where it should be located on all different vehicles. State Police on the other hand are more apt to write emissions type citations as they are more prone to do street side inspections especially on commercial vehicles. In order to be cited or inspected you really have to **** a cop off.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any law enforcement officer can cite you for emissions tampering/lack of emissions equipment if they so chose. Ultimately they are hired by the state and have the authority to uphold all state laws. They usually don't because most don't know what a catalytic converter is or where it should be located on all different vehicles. State Police on the other hand are more apt to write emissions type citations as they are more prone to do street side inspections especially on commercial vehicles. In order to be cited or inspected you really have to **** a cop off.
Basically what you're saying then is that what I also mention about the bumper clearance is wrong, and I know that non-certified police officers cannot cite you for that, yet it is a state law.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My illegal exhaust is the main reason why I did my LE2 package. Now I have a better chance of getting away from the cops if they should try and pull me over.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
So, what you're saying, is that in the summer, when I have my windows open for a little fresh air, and I'm trying to sleep, I'm supposed to be OK with all the muffler-less jerk-offs on their Harleys, who are roaring out of the bar that's TWO MILES from my house at closing time (2AM)? Better yet, they're the same jerk-offs, who were roaring past my house 2 hours before, when the got off from the second shift at the Xerox plant, that's about 3 miles in the opposite direction!! Sorry, guy, but I DON'T BUY IT!
That's not what I'm saying at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
My illegal exhaust is the main reason why I did my LE2 package. Now I have a better chance of getting away from the cops if they should try and pull me over.
When does the intradimensional cloaking device get installed for when they call in the helicopter? Cloak of Invisibility won't help when they turn on the infrared camera and pick up your heat signature, and a heatsink only will only drop it down, not eliminate it. So you'll need to slip into the space between dimensions as to get away from them, but not completely jump to parallel dimension, so you can come back to this when it's disabled.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

When does the intradimensional cloaking device get installed for when they call in the helicopter? Cloak of Invisibility won't help when they turn on the infrared camera and pick up your heat signature, and a heatsink only will only drop it down, not eliminate it. So you'll need to slip into the space between dimensions as to get away from them, but not completely jump to parallel dimension, so you can come back to this when it's disabled.
LOL...you let me speechless on that one So much for my LE2...anyone interested in a free car now?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Village Troll

Basically what you're saying then is that what I also mention about the bumper clearance is wrong, and I know that non-certified police officers cannot cite you for that, yet it is a state law.
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding bumper clearance. The subject at hand is if a police officer could site you for emissions violations and the answer is a big YES they can. I would also venture to say any police officer could also cite you for vehicle inspection type violations.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding bumper clearance. The subject at hand is if a police officer could site you for emissions violations and the answer is a big YES they can. I would also venture to say any police officer could also cite you for vehicle inspection type violations.
Because you're implying that they can cite you for any state law. It's a STATE LAW in Minnesota that your bumper clearance (1ton+ are exempt) cannot exceed 25" above ground, hence semi's having those drop bumper bars. With that said, your run of the mill cop cannot cite you in MN for bumper clearance unless he is DoT certified, even though it's a STATE LAW. Reason is, because it falls under DoT regulations, just like emission laws. Hence my fairly certain assumption that they also cannot cite you for not having cats.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
LOL...you let me speechless on that one So much for my LE2...anyone interested in a free car now?
Hey, I'm up here in Seattle. Just leave the keys in it and I'll be over
Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdotlog
Hey, I'm up here in Seattle. Just leave the keys in it and I'll be over
I would rather just bring it too you and walk home
Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Depends. In order for any component to become 50 state emissions compliant it needs the blessing of an Executive Order number from CARB.
CARB doesnt have EOs for catbacks because anything other than a cutout or whistle tip or straight piping behind the cat is legal

Quick Reply: Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?