LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what are signs of your opti going out or is out

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are signs of your opti going out or is out

what are signs of your opti going out or is out --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the car out today around the block got on it a little bit when i left off to turn around it died then i started it back up and it reved real high by itself and i cut it back off now it will turn over but wont start.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

my car will skip below 1k rpms and no other time so i figure its the opti. i just done plugs and wires so time to do the opti also. Idk about your situation probably the opti tho
Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is a sticky over at z28.com

Is Your Opti-Spark Failing?

LT1 owners have dealt with the Opti-Spark distributor for 11 years now, but there is still much confusion regarding the causes and symptoms of a failing unit. Tapping into the PCM with a scan tool is a good way to start, but sometimes no codes will be set. Before diving into the Opti-Spark, be sure to verify that your grounds are good and the coil and wires are not the source of the problem, as they are much easier to change.

Symptoms:

* Car suddenly dies and won't restart
* Starts but immediately dies
* Extended cranking to start
* Rough idle
* Sputtering
* Backfiring
* Trouble reaching higher rpm
* Black smoke from exhaust
* Poor performance with car warmed up
* Weak plug wire spark
* Codes 16, 36, and 42 may be set
Old 03-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

So i think it is the opti like four of thoes things in that list has happen to me and now it won't start i pulled a plug wire and put a plug in it to see if the was a spark and nothing is there another way i can check to make sure that's waht the problem is before i go and buy a new opti and how hard are the opti's to change out thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

May include, but not limited to, missing, hesitation, stumbling, backfiring, cutting out, not starting.

When my opti kicked the bucket, it backfired like crazy and stumbled high and low.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Default May include, but not limited to, missing, hesitation, stumbling, backfiring, cutting

yea that's what mine was doing real bad is there another way to trouble shoot it cause now it won't start at all and are thoes msd optis they sell at auto zone wort it alot of people say put the factory one back on
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mistamista
yea that's what mine was doing real bad is there another way to trouble shoot it cause now it won't start at all and are thoes msd optis they sell at auto zone wort it alot of people say put the factory one back on
Test the coil and ICM. Test your fuel pressure. If all that checks out, order a new AC Delco/Delphi opti from "thepartsladi" on Ebay. Best prices anywhere.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

This is a good article on trying to figure out a no start situation. However I am still stuck and can't figure out my problem.

Testing here
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Launching!

If the ICM goes out you will have no spark. The coil going out will usually give you a weak spark. Those can both be tested at a auto parts store. Also check your plug wires. Dont always assume it is your opti.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hows your fuel pump? Can you hear it when your key is in the 'on' position?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Autozone, Auto Parts +, and Oreilly can not test the ICM here.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ben77
Hows your fuel pump? Can you hear it when your key is in the 'on' position?
if you can what does that mean?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
May include, but not limited to, missing, hesitation, stumbling, backfiring, cutting out, not starting.

When my opti kicked the bucket, it backfired like crazy and stumbled high and low.
when i would get on it when my OPTI was going it backfired so loud it scared the **** out of me!!! Finally the OPTI gave up and would only crank over and not start at all. I replaced the OPTI and it sounded like a box of rocks when i shook it!

Originally Posted by mj114679
if you can what does that mean?
Im not sure i think they say if you can hear it its probably going bad??? i know i can hear mine too!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Yea my fuel pump primes when you turn the key over, And after cranking it for a min you can smell the fuel, I pulled the coil wire and put a plug in it and there was no spark at all. im just trying to make sure that is what it is before i buy it and are they hard to put on i am no machanic at all but i think i can do it if it's not to hard.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mistamista
Yea my fuel pump primes when you turn the key over, And after cranking it for a min you can smell the fuel, I pulled the coil wire and put a plug in it and there was no spark at all. im just trying to make sure that is what it is before i buy it and are they hard to put on i am no machanic at all but i think i can do it if it's not to hard.
If you are getting no spark at the coil, usually that is a problem with wiring to the coil or a bad coil.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

hmm kinda sounds like ur pump mayb if ur smellin gas. i jus bought a fuel pump for mine yesterday and will be replacing it this weekend i jus hope it is just the pump that went bad and not my opti. i would test the pump before replacing or buying an opti. imo replacing a pump will b easier and cheaper than an opti.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black93_Formula
hmm kinda sounds like ur pump mayb if ur smellin gas. i jus bought a fuel pump for mine yesterday and will be replacing it this weekend i jus hope it is just the pump that went bad and not my opti. i would test the pump before replacing or buying an opti. imo replacing a pump will b easier and cheaper than an opti.
Usually if you smell gas, its because it's not being combusted do to a low/no spark condition, not a bad fuel pump.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

ah ic. corrected me then. is there any significant ways to tell if ur pump or opti is goin out? kinda seems like the simptoms are similar.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black93_Formula
ah ic. corrected me then. is there any significant ways to tell if ur pump or opti is goin out? kinda seems like the simptoms are similar.
The only real way to prove that you have a problem with the fuel pump is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what pressure you are getting at idle and WOT under load. That is after verifying that it is getting power and priming of course.

The opti is more difficult to diagnose. Lots of backfiring is a big clue that your cap and rotor has kicked the bucket. Otherwise stumbling, missing, hesitating, not starting, etc. are some of the symptoms a bad opti can cause.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The only real way to prove that you have a problem with the fuel pump is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what pressure you are getting at idle and WOT under load. That is after verifying that it is getting power and priming of course.

The opti is more difficult to diagnose. Lots of backfiring is a big clue that your cap and rotor has kicked the bucket. Otherwise stumbling, missing, hesitating, not starting, etc. are some of the symptoms a bad opti can cause.
thats wut i thought. ill try n hook a fuel pressure tester up to the rail this weekend before i do the pump swap. thx man

Quick Reply: what are signs of your opti going out or is out