LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice if Dart would come up with an idea to make a single plane intake for the LT1, instead of everyone converting sbc intakes that cost them time and money
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
I'd take one also........ and take one as soon as they came out if I could use my internals that I have already.

6 bolt mains to ward off crank walk or some way to fix that issue for 1k+ hp and better head clamping force for more boost.

This right here is a good example of why you wont ever see a bigger LT1 block.
6-bolt mains.

Here is the description from the $2300 Dart Little M
The Sportsman block shares most of the Little M's best features, but saves you money by using ductile iron main bearing caps (4 bolt on the center three and 2 bolt on the ends), and employing a rear external oil feed, crossover and restrictor provision.
That is a gen 1 block at a higher pricepoint than people want a LT1 block for. At that 2 of 5 mains are still just 2 bolt.

I realize you said
or some way to fix that issue
but anyone with a clue knows that this is solved on standard architecture gen 1 block safe at that HP. Solved the same way it is addressed on an LT1 block stronger mains with 4 bolts on the center 3 after that it is just a stiffer block.

Far as the intake, yeah the manifold itself is the hardest part right, the plumbing elbows etc. are all $10 bits available everywhere.
The boltpattern issue is minor compared to all the other work, the plumbing and all, plus that bandwagon is jumped on much too quickly anyway. Someone offers a more direct fit piece and we will see bolton cars with cowl hoods to clear a big single plane and running slower than bolton cars do now.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
This right here is a good example of why you wont ever see a bigger LT1 block.
6-bolt mains.

Here is the description from the $2300 Dart Little M

That is a gen 1 block at a higher pricepoint than people want a LT1 block for. At that 2 of 5 mains are still just 2 bolt....
Excellent points. You have to realize the SBC has been around a lot longer and made a lot more power than the LTx. So, if it hasn't been done on an SBC, chances are it's not ever going to happen on the afterthought of the SBC, the LTx.

Lots of fundamental changes ($$$) would have to happen to add 2 more bolts, to the point that it would just be more cost effective and practical to build an LSx. This is one of the reasons LSx was developed in the first place. Note that virtually all V8 engines designed from the 90's on use a Y block and 6-bolt mains.

FWIW, I found fretting under my 4-bolt caps after running ~950 hp for a short period of time.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a few points in mind, one was the complete cluelessness of the LT1 community.
Two was the fact that as you more clearly said, we couldn't really expect to get anything not already done on an SBC.
The next was the stiffer aftermarket sbc blocks get by fine on 4-bolts on the center 3 suggesting 6 was just proof of the first point.
Then again like I said they want all this grand stuff but want a bargain basement pricetag which wont happen with the R&D being spread over so few sales.

I am not saying I don't want it to happen. I am saying I have basic reasoning skills.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
...Then again like I said they want all this grand stuff but want a bargain basement pricetag which wont happen with the R&D being spread over so few sales.

I am not saying I don't want it to happen. I am saying I have basic reasoning skills.
As I was selling my Z28, I was thinking. . . if I ever build another car it's going to be LSx or SBC. At the time, I was actually lamenting the lack of an 18 deg head, and virtual gaurantee it would never be available...

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block