LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So ima be doing a LT header install soon...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
I was thinking about using the splicing kit that comes with the pacesetters but im not sure on that yet.
I would not recomend splicing the wires. The O2 wires are special because oxygen has to flow through the plastic connectors and through the wires to get a standard oxygen reading. I would recomend getting extensions, it will cost more but you won't have problems. MadZ tuning says never to splice o2 sensors and says always replace the sensors with the stock AC Delco AFS75 because they are quality. When I did my headers I used a cheaper sensor $25 instead of the AC delco $60 and one of the cheap ones took a crap after 3 months. Just my two sense.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Yea...that's the thing though. The universal Bosch O2s come with a short wire that you are supposed to take your old O2 and cut off the wire, splice it to the new Bosch O2 using the butt connector already in place on the O2 line. That would probably be the only time you can get away with splicing a longer wire in...and like said above, it is not original Delco, so who knows on longevity of it. I have one for my passenger side header as it was way down stream as well and tried the longer splice...we'll see how it turns out. I'm sure I will have to go back in there and fix it...but I needed it to run for now to get it out of my shop.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

ok yes starter has to come out. i took alternator out just because its easy and it gives you more room. some people have had to take the powersteering pump off, but i didnt even have to touch that. air intake has to come out and i would recomend taking the air pump out while your doing all this. it only does something the first 3 minutes of starting your car and helps to warm it up faster, but it gives alot more space around the coil and waterpump. just cleans it up a little and is pretty much is a waste of space. Also as too the o2 thing i put my o2 sensors in that were in my stock exhaust and prolly have 50,000 miles on and i just reused them in my headers. if ceramic coated thats what i would do because the coating on the inside of the headers will burn out and ruin your o2's. but i have left my old o2's in and not had any problems. so i think the coating burning out maybe not all true because i have no problems. but yes i have new bosch ones to put in and there is no splicing needed. eventually i will put the new ones in, but have not felt like it.

Last edited by 96formulabird; 04-13-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, the only reason I had a splice style O2 from Bosch was because they had one that fit my car application and one universal and I needed them both that day.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

my headers went in through the bottom without touchin the mounts.

I got lpp's. I had to remove the starter. here is the guide I used to help me.

http://zmydust.com/tech.html
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1
Thank you for posting this, it should help him. I have a detailed install on my computer for Mac Mid length headers but I know longtubes are a bit of a different install.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1
my headers went in through the bottom without touchin the mounts.

I got lpp's. I had to remove the starter. here is the guide I used to help me.

http://zmydust.com/tech.html
Wow, thanks this very useful, pics, write up...what else could i want? lol
thank you.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camerory
I would not recomend splicing the wires. The O2 wires are special because oxygen has to flow through the plastic connectors and through the wires to get a standard oxygen reading. I would recomend getting extensions, it will cost more but you won't have problems. MadZ tuning says never to splice o2 sensors and says always replace the sensors with the stock AC Delco AFS75 because they are quality. When I did my headers I used a cheaper sensor $25 instead of the AC delco $60 and one of the cheap ones took a crap after 3 months. Just my two sense.
I'm pretty sure that is only on the mechanical O2s...
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
I'm pretty sure that is only on the mechanical O2s...
Yeah, I know I was suprised when I read that from my factory service manual. If the insulation on the wires get cut, crimped, or damaged in any way the sensor will not get the correct oxygen reading from standard temp/pressure oxygen.

Quick Reply: So ima be doing a LT header install soon...