LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Disappointed after modifications!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
I don't think long tubes make that big of a difference over shorties, I am getting ready to put shorties back on my car after the 383 is done. I hate having to pull some shady **** every two years just to get some stickers, CARB sucks.
When you put those shorties back on, you'll know the difference...

Shorties
Old 04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Agreed doesn't need an apostrophe.
haha agreed

Jackass!

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
I don't think long tubes make that big of a difference over shorties, I am getting ready to put shorties back on my car after the 383 is done. I hate having to pull some shady **** every two years just to get some stickers, CARB sucks.
Yea shorties suck. . . i bet you drop 10rwhp putting the shorties on

When you put those shorties back on, you'll know the difference...

Shorties
AGREED [happy now jerk ]
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
yea its 100% the injectors man, they are probably at like 125% duty cycle over 6000rpms which is not good.

Throw some 36#'ers in there and it should jump the HP right up to around 380rwhp i'd say since you're running the shorties.

Maybe a tad higher if the port job was a decent one.

how much did he charge for the porting if you dont mind my asking?

you're in Saudi Arabi too arent you? Thats why the damn tracks 300 miles away!
Yep
How did you know?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
haha agreed

Jackass!

Yea shorties suck. . . i bet you drop 10rwhp putting the shorties on

AGREED [happy now jerk ]
Agreed.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A cam that size probably needs to go beyond the pcm's capability in such a small engine.

The heads are a complete unknown.

The Hookers are not great, if the exhaust is single 3" that is not very good.

3.73s wont hurt the HP number but are a bad match to the M6 and a big cam.

There is no plan here, just collection of parts.

That said I have seen chassis dynos spit out some retardedly low numbers for cars that performed very well so take it too the track and see if the performance is in line with the dyno numbers.
Exactly,

Typical though, throw money at a motor and hope it makes power without doing any research.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

1. Get a decent set of ported heads.

2. Get some injectors...you need fuel to make power.

3. That cam is too big for that motor. If you planned to spin higher maybe you could get by with it but still I think it's too big. Bigger is not always better.

4. I think there has to be a tuning issue. Unless the guy seriously mutilated the heads it should do at least as good as with stock heads. People running GM847's make 360'ish rwhp in an M6.

5. I had a car that dynoed way low too, turns out the tune was for a different cam and threw things all over the place.

6. You need longtubes, go long or go home.

Basically there is much more in this car. With a good tune, longtubes, a decent set of heads, and injectors this car should be making 400 rwhp easily and pulling hard to 6800. On a stock shortblock that's seriously in the redzone though.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think injectors are the problem just yet. Granted they should be too small but IMO it would make more power before they caused a problem.

Aeromotive regulator, wow this just keeps getting worse. You know those have BURNED CARS TO THE GROUND, single lease reliable regulator you can buy for an LT1. STOCK would have been fine.

Long as you have the adjustable regulator though you could use it to crank up the fuel pressure some IF and only IF you find the injectors are too small.

On another forum someone has a signature that goes something like "there are good parts and there are good engines, they are not the same thing", it really applies here.

You bought a bunch of stuff you thought was good and and threw it together with no plan or understanding of how it would work together or in this case NOT work.

Everyone is hating on the shorties and they were not a good choice but at the same time they are not a huge problem till well above this power, everyone hates mids too but mids are what my car runs 11.9s on. Those same guys who rip on mids will NOT say my car would be faster on longtubes. I think it will be but nothing earth shattering.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chavez885
Exactly,

Typical though, throw money at a motor and hope it makes power without doing any research.
Thanx for the help.
I did alot of search before attempting to modify my car & i chose whats best for my budget & hp goal.I know AI & LE combos are the best out there but for what i could pay i would expect less hp than their combos but not that low.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I don't think injectors are the problem just yet. Granted they should be too small but IMO it would make more power before they caused a problem.

Aeromotive regulator, wow this just keeps getting worse. You know those have BURNED CARS TO THE GROUND, single lease reliable regulator you can buy for an LT1. STOCK would have been fine.

Long as you have the adjustable regulator though you could use it to crank up the fuel pressure some IF and only IF you find the injectors are too small.

On another forum someone has a signature that goes something like "there are good parts and there are good engines, they are not the same thing", it really applies here.

You bought a bunch of stuff you thought was good and and threw it together with no plan or understanding of how it would work together or in this case NOT work.

Everyone is hating on the shorties and they were not a good choice but at the same time they are not a huge problem till well above this power, everyone hates mids too but mids are what my car runs 11.9s on. Those same guys who rip on mids will NOT say my car would be faster on longtubes. I think it will be but nothing earth shattering.
Mids are a different story than shorties. While it wouldn't be worth the effort for most people to swap from mids to LT's, do you really think you wouldn't pick up anything?...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just throwing this out there for you people trashing mid-lengths and blaming stock injectors.

My first go at a H/C setup was with a stock fuel pump and injectors... and wouldn't you know it... Random Tech Mid-Length headers.

She laid down 385 rwhp.

Stock injectors are not holding you back from all your lost power. You have larger issues than injectors and mid-lengths.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Houdini
Just throwing this out there for you people trashing mid-lengths and blaming stock injectors.

My first go at a H/C setup was with a stock fuel pump and injectors... and wouldn't you know it... Random Tech Mid-Length headers.

She laid down 385 rwhp.

Stock injectors are not holding you back from all your lost power. You have larger issues than injectors and mid-lengths.
He has shorties, not mids, and I already said that there's a difference between shorties -> LT's and mids -> LT's.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

He has shorties, not mids, and I already said that there's a difference between shorties -> LT's and mids -> LT's.
Not a 50hp difference... it's marginal at best (shorty's vs. Mid's).

Slapping on longtubes and bigger injectors will not fix the problem, it may slightly lessen the problem... but it will not be fixed.

Also... my Random tech mid's were horrible!!! 1-5/8", leaks everywhere! SLP shorty's would have made better numbers.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not a 50hp difference... it's marginal at best (shorty's vs. Mid's).

Slapping on longtubes and bigger injectors will not fix the problem, it may slightly lessen the problem... but it will not be fixed.

Also... my Random tech mid's were horrible!!! 1-5/8", leaks everywhere! SLP shorty's would have made better numbers.
I never said it was a 50hp difference, I just said that with that build, he is leaving power on the table by going with shorties over LT's.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never said it was a 50hp difference, I just said that with that build, he is leaving power on the table by going with shorties over LT's.

I agree completely... he left power on the table by choosing the shorty's over full length.

It's my opinion, that he has more pressing issues than headers going on here. His power numbers are pretty bad for what has been done... I suspect the heads are straight up soup sandwich.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree completely... he left power on the table by choosing the shorty's over full length.

It's my opinion, that he has more pressing issues than headers going on here. His power numbers are pretty bad for what has been done... I suspect the heads are straight up soup sandwich.
Easy test would be to bolt on stock unmolested heads and see if his number increase, lol. But either way, that cam is way too big. A nice heads/cam package from Ai or LE would cure that. Not to mention adding some larger injectors and...<cough>LT's</cough>
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

There are guys who go with shorty headers and run the same numbers on the dyno and the same times at the track. They offer minimal gains at best. Mids are a minimum on a modded car like this one. Longtubes would be better. The injectors aren't causing you to lose tons of power but yes injectors are holding you back some now. I think the numbers were something like a 450 hp motor with 30lb injectors...the injectors are at like 98% duty cycle. So that being said you need at least 30lb injectors. 36's would be better though. Figure out the deal with the heads. And not to down you...but are you sure you have the tune right? You said you dynotuned it yourself? How much experience do you have tuning? Maybe that's part of the problem.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

even if shifting at 6800 RPM, the 350/355 better have LOTS of compression (12.0-12.5) to make that cam work even half way descent. Even still, a low/mid 230 duration is all you need for a 6800 RPM 355.

Lloyd
Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

That cam in my opinion is WAYYY to big for a stock bottom end car!! Bigger isnt always better!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion_z28
I will be hitting a 150hp shot of Nitrous & i've asked LE if this is a good cam for such nos shots & said it is a great cam & he also stated that its a very big cam for a 350.
Well if it is going to be a roll racing kind of car then as far as your gear ratio is concerned you are on the right track.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Launching!

it would say its more in your tune than anything else. Who tuned the car, and please done tell me it was the guy who ported your heads?

Quick Reply: Disappointed after modifications!