LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Steamline of back of heads!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Steamline of back of heads!!!???

The bolts that hold the steam lines on the back of the heads stripped so i had to cut the line to get my heads off (since i took them off one at a time). Do the bolts that hold them on come off the normal way, counter clockwise that is? And do i have to have these on there for the car to run normal??

If i do does anyone know the part number for these so i can order some new ones.

Please help!!! im tired of looking at my car not running
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use brass pipe fittings in the head, and connect rubber hoeses to them, and then a Tee fitting, and run it to the stock location at the rad, its what i did after buying like 14 of them 5 dollar seals trying to get that b/s setup to reseal.

edit, they come off the normal way. not reverse thread or anything.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I_Need_Land
use brass pipe fittings in the head, and connect rubber hoeses to them, and then a Tee fitting, and run it to the stock location at the rad, its what i did after buying like 14 of them 5 dollar seals trying to get that b/s setup to reseal.

edit, they come off the normal way. not reverse thread or anything.
well **** mine a stuck in there and i have tried everything to get them off. Do you know what side pipe fitting they are?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

The threads correspond closely to 1/4" pipe threads but they are not tapered. Instead of relying on an interference fit of the threads to prevent coolant leakage, GM used a system of seals. On the race motors I build, I use an AN fitting (1/4" tapered pipe fitting) and teflon pipe sealant to get the job done. Then, I replace the lines with braided steel line, either #4 or #6. Never had a problem with one leaking. Be absolutely sure that you have all that in place and tightened down before you put the head back on in the car. It's virtually impossible to get a wrench on the fittings when they're jammed up against the firewall.

Good luck,

c
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have the heads off, use some vice grips and a hammer to get them off. I would get a new steam pipe (w/ banjo bolts and seals) from the dealer. Or get a steam pipe from a junk yard and get new seals. Don't remember the part numbers, call up GM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i even tried getting them off with vice grips and a hammer. It just eats more metal off the bolt head.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by litch2004
ya i even tried getting them off with vice grips and a hammer. It just eats more metal off the bolt head.
That is not normal. You have to get the vice grips to really bite in...I mean to the point where you have to use your whole body weight just to get them to lock closed. You also have to close it with the swinging arm facing up so that when you hit the vice grips with the hammer, you won't be knocking it open. I've never had a bolt not come off that way. Use some pb blaster and heat up the bolt a little with a torch. Last resort, take it to a machine shop.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

hopefully it doesnt go that far. Im ready to put this car back on the road. It has been down since last summer.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

have you used any penetrating spray/oil yet. If not buy some pblaster spray it down good and let it sit for awhile
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ta i tried everything. Aggravating as hell

Quick Reply: Steamline of back of heads!!!???