LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bolt on and free mods list

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
? ??????? ??? have you ever tried to put a hose to get gas out of our tanks? Last year during Hurricane Ike i did and there was no way it would go in. There is something in there that wont allow it
Well I wouldn't know about siphoning gas, but I do know about vandalism and I don't care what Mary Poppins says about sugar....Cars don't like it
Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Useless without programming!
I wasn't aware of that, but since a tune was already mentioned...I don't feel as big a fool
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
Well I wouldn't know about siphoning gas, but I do know about vandalism and I don't care what Mary Poppins says about sugar....Cars don't like it
Good point ! !!!!!!! !!!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
Would a ported intake manifold be a bolton??
D
That's what I've been wondering. I've been considering picking up a ported intake manifold off eBay, because they're not very expensive. But, I'm trying to accomplish a bolt-on power goal, and don't want to ruin it by having a ported manifold.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tspence45
That's what I've been wondering. I've been considering picking up a ported intake manifold off eBay, because they're not very expensive. But, I'm trying to accomplish a bolt-on power goal, and don't want to ruin it by having a ported manifold.
Hmmm...I think if you were trying to break a bolton record or even a personal goal...I would leave the manifold stock. Otherwise you will get that guy who will say that your car is not "just boltons" and you "cheated" by adding the ported manifold. However, I think that mod could fall in either category depending on who you ask.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Teching In

with a 160 thermostat just hook your fans up to switches then its not useless... i went from running at a constant 210 degrees to running just above 160. and in the winter you can wait til it warms up as hot as you want before switching on the fans. Obviously dont let it get too hot but u get the idea.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRhoads35
with a 160 thermostat just hook your fans up to switches then its not useless... i went from running at a constant 210 degrees to running just above 160. and in the winter you can wait til it warms up as hot as you want before switching on the fans. Obviously dont let it get too hot but u get the idea.
or you can just program the fans to turn on accordingly this way you dont have to watch your coolant temps
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Useless without programming!
Explain the science behind needing a tune for a thermostat change. I'd love to hear it. LOVE.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Explain the science behind needing a tune for a thermostat change. I'd love to hear it. LOVE.
the computer needs to be tuned to turn on the fans at different temps with a different thermostat. not science really, just common sense.

and a Ported manifold is NOT a bolt on. there r actual offical rules/regulations that came out in the 90's by GMPP
Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
My pleasure.

A thermostat is simply a temperature-actuated valve. When it is closed, no coolant is circulated through the motor. If no coolant is circulating, the engine retains heat much faster allowing the motor to warm up. Once the motor reaches the temperature that the thermostat opens, coolant begins to flow. The motor doesn't care at what temperature the coolant begins to flow as it will continue to warm up (you don't honestly think that the coolant will STAY at 160 degrees, do you?).

Now that the thermostat is open, the motor will continue to build heat until the coolant can exchange the heat through the radiator as fast as the motor can produce it (i.e., there is a balance between heat transmitted from the engine to the coolant and heat transmitted from the coolant to the radiator). In most every motor, this critical point is always higher than the rating of the thermostat. Coolant is cooled down by air flowing across the radiator. When the fans are stationary, only a minimal amount of air flows through the radiator (moreso at speed) allowing the heat exchange. Stock fans aren't programmed to come on until 226 degrees (235 for the high-speed fan), so that allows for a 60-degree opportunity for the coolant to cool.

Without programming, the motor will continue to heat up well beyond the thermostat opening point. With programming/fan switch, coolant temperatures can be sustained by running the fans at or close to the thermostat opening temperature, allowing the heat exchange to happen much earlier, keeping the motor cooler.

Make sense? Or was I a little too literal?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

How much power can you gain by doing valve-springs and roller-rockers? I was thinking about throwing some in this winter along with an EWP. I need to bust that 300rwhp mark!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

how much for programmer and cold air

Quick Reply: bolt on and free mods list