LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good news:IL front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good news:IL front license plate

I recently received one more front license plate ticket here in IL; a result of my unwillingness to drill holes in the new front end on my z. Anyway, I was wishing to find the specific criteria of front license plates on passenger vehicles and ended up emailing the sec. of state office to find this. It seems that front license plates only require a placement of clear visability, height of 5' or more from ground and free of obstructions, and secured. I have mine mounted in the windshield on mine and will fortify its attachment, and of course take this to court to get dropped. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...0050K3-413.htm
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that putting it in the windshield is actually illegal too. Oh well. I've had a few buddies tell me that IL is thinking of doing away with the front plate law. Not sure how true it is, but it'd be great. I've never really been hassled for it though. They're starting to ease up. I mean, they'll going to make 50% tint on driver and passenger side windows legal soon. lol
Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glass counts as an obstruction; "including -- but not limited to -- glass covers," etc. Anything in front of it counts, not just a glass cover.

So, no, that won't fly if you run across a big ticket writer who's running traffic with a "quota."

Also, that's version of the law doesn't show case law. There will cases of people who have said they can have it in their windshield but who have lost in court.

I've only been stopped once for in in five years.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a hide away plate **** drilling in to the bumper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URA5QICxdh0
you can find them in manual also lol
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

yea those are pretty cool, however prolly not too practical since the LP has to be more than 5' from the ground. In regards to the windshield glass as being an obstructor, I have already considered that confound, I may have to rig up something outside of the windshield though I don't know exactly what yet.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with the windshield is then it is considered and obstruction of vision. There is a reason tags that hang from your mirror say to remove them before moving the car. The law says that you can not have anything obstructing your vision as well, this would include plates, radar detectors, graduation tassles, etc. Anything hanging from your mirror or attached to the window that is not a city/village sticker or a residency sticker of some sort could be considered an obstruction, it all depends on the officer. Some guys could be a real hard *** and right you for whatever they really want and most of the time it will hold up in court. Either way I don't think you'll win, just because it has to be more than 5" off the ground and clearly visible. Personally I would pay the fine since it isn't a mover and be on your way, it won't hurt your license any. Been there, tried it, and failed
Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by duh
The problem with the windshield is then it is considered and obstruction of vision. There is a reason tags that hang from your mirror say to remove them before moving the car. The law says that you can not have anything obstructing your vision as well, this would include plates, radar detectors, graduation tassles, etc. Anything hanging from your mirror or attached to the window that is not a city/village sticker or a residency sticker of some sort could be considered an obstruction, it all depends on the officer. Some guys could be a real hard *** and right you for whatever they really want and most of the time it will hold up in court. Either way I don't think you'll win, just because it has to be more than 5" off the ground and clearly visible. Personally I would pay the fine since it isn't a mover and be on your way, it won't hurt your license any. Been there, tried it, and failed
So does this mean you should use your sun visor?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Plus, section A of that posting says, you have to but the plates on the front and back.

There is only one front. Sucks but it's true. I got one of those "Show-n-Go" plates things from Summit, for $50. You have to drill the bumper, but it's from the bottom of the bumper not the front, so I don't really care.

I got it after I got a ticket.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Ya, I carry the code in my car and my plate, attached to the air dam, is like 4 3/4" from the ground So far I haven't been bothered about it
Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racin96ss
So does this mean you should use your sun visor?
If you really want to **** off the officer that's already being a dick for stopping you, go for it. Usually the reason they stop you is to try and find a heavier infraction, or they don't like the type of car you've got, or conversly they really like your car and wanna see what it's got in it. I'm lucky enough to deal with police on a daily basis and have an officer that lives next door (when I bought my car he told me to remove the front bracket) It all depends on the mood of the officer and what's going on that day......but how many vette owners get that same ticket??? Food for thought.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I unfortunately live in a college town in which the police force is overly fortified. For example, this ticket I received at a random road block on my way to work on a saturday morning at 9. I think there are too many of them and not enough money to justifiy their presence....In fact after a short initially pollite exchange with the police officer (in which he was being a dick) I went ahead and asked them if they were low on cash...lol. He did not care for that much.

-Mounting my license plate under the air damn is out of the question as the front of my vehicle is lowered, not to mention that would clearly violate the 5' rule
-yes I see nice vettes and other more expensive sports cars driving around all the time with out any noticable harrassment...
Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyguy358
yea those are pretty cool, however prolly not too practical since the LP has to be more than 5' from the ground. In regards to the windshield glass as being an obstructor, I have already considered that confound, I may have to rig up something outside of the windshield though I don't know exactly what yet.

Not to be an "azzhat", but you DO mean 5", right??
Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

yes it's 5"(inches) and not 5'(feet)......but usually an officer will pick on an f-bod as opposed to a y-bod/exotic since most f car owners are younger....the idea is to teach a lesson, and get the "easy" money. Where an older person may go to the extent of hiring a lawyer to fight it if they think they were wronged where as a younger person will come onto an on-line forum and complain.....and not do anything but pay his fine and move on.... It's all about making an easy buck weather for himself or for the municipality...It truely is a crock of ****, since I just tookk my bike to the sec. of state with a vertical plate mount and they didn't even say anything about that, or the fact that it doesn't have a light on it..... They truely don't care, they're just out for your money

Quick Reply: Good news:IL front license plate