LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help me diagnose plz!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me diagnose plz!

ive got a slightly rough idle..the car bogs a little bit on acceleration, but once it hits 1k rpm its fine. i thought it might be a vacuum leak of some kind, but i've sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake and it didnt idle up

somebody help me diagnose this problem.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

How long has it been since a tune-up? I know mine acts similar when the plugs start getting old. I'd check them, and your wires out.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

x2 on the plugs. Or, are you sure someone didn't slip a big cam in there?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

haha no, nobody slipped a big cam...dont think its the plugs/wires/coil/opti...all has been replaced about 4 months ago

and..if it were those things, wouldnt the problem occur at any RPM?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about tune ups on the fuel side of things, IE fuel filter, injecter cleaning?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

replaced the fuel filter 4 mos ago as well....just ran some injector cleaner through it yesterday
Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Any codes?
Try cleanning the MAF.
How old are the o2's?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

and when you say injector cleaner, do you mean the water you can buy at Walmart or a BG kit?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

tried to get oreilly's to scan it today but they dont do OBDI anymore...O2's are prob pretty old..i kept the ones out of my manifolds when i put my headers in...i'm sure they were the factory ones

i guess i need to find someone with an obd1 scanner
Old 06-27-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm bringing this back to the top for him, we noticed an issue with the voltage meter -whenever this idle problem happens the voltage meter dips to near 10-11 and doesn't really move past 13 even during acceleration. Looked into the alternator and thought the regulator would be going out, replaced that and it still has the same issue.

It only has the idle issue in gear, it's a stock A4. The MAF has been cleaned, the IAC tested fine at 60, plugs/wires/opti/coil all have spark and there isn't a miss at any other rpm, don't know if the fuel system has been checked yet but - like he said- it doesn't happen any other time but idle.

Unplugged the 02 sensors one at a time while running and it still does it, also unplugged the MAF and same problem so it seems like this doesn't have to do with electronics. It does it in both open and closed loop.

Any suggestions? This may be unrelated but in the other thread he found a little bit of water in the lifter valley after he pulled the intake manifold. That does point to a blown headgasket, but it could have just been some condensation. Looking for any other ideas b/c I am fresh out.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
I'm bringing this back to the top for him, we noticed an issue with the voltage meter -whenever this idle problem happens the voltage meter dips to near 10-11 and doesn't really move past 13 even during acceleration. Looked into the alternator and thought the regulator would be going out, replaced that and it still has the same issue.

It only has the idle issue in gear, it's a stock A4. The MAF has been cleaned, the IAC tested fine at 60, plugs/wires/opti/coil all have spark and there isn't a miss at any other rpm, don't know if the fuel system has been checked yet but - like he said- it doesn't happen any other time but idle.

Unplugged the 02 sensors one at a time while running and it still does it, also unplugged the MAF and same problem so it seems like this doesn't have to do with electronics. It does it in both open and closed loop.

Any suggestions? This may be unrelated but in the other thread he found a little bit of water in the lifter valley after he pulled the intake manifold. That does point to a blown headgasket, but it could have just been some condensation. Looking for any other ideas b/c I am fresh out.
I thought the IAC was supposed to read 160 at idle, not 60. Sorry if I am mistaken.

For some reason my voltage has always dipped low. It will read almost 13 on start up and it will sit at around 11 once warm and stay there. It's done that for 5 years now and I've never had an issue. I always thought it was just an inaccurate gauge. I've gone through a different alt, battery, had the battery harness off a few times, several starters, and no change...no problems either.

If you suspect a blown head gasket, have you checked the oil for water or checked the water for oil? Any white smoke comming from the exhaust?

Also since you are running down the list of things to test, try to pick up a vacuum gauge and see what vacuum you are pulling at idle. Worth a shot I guess.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

the iac was 60ohms resistance off the car. shbox says it should be between 40 and 80. i cleaned it anyways just for the heck of it.

today we tried adjusting the throttle idle screw (yah i know this isnt the correct way to set your idle speed) and instead of the idle dipping to 490 or so..it only dipped to 525..still had the same problem though...if you just sit there in gear it will idle rougher and rougher the longer you let it sit there..oil pressure will drop as well as volts.

keep in mind this started happing when i replaced the intake gasket...if its not related to that then it is just one HUGE coincidence.

i'll try picking up a vacuum gage...can i hook it up at any vacuum on the intake? what should it read at idle?

please help guys..i'm running outta patience and this is my DD
Old 06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

oh yah..just fyi..i have already tried spraying around the intake to check for intake leaks...never idled up.

also..one other piece of info..on my EGR..i still have the EGR solenoid hooked up (just to keep from throwing a code)..but i have both vacuum inlets on it capped off...i also have the EGR pipe still on the manifold...it is capped off of course....and the EGR valve is still on the manifold..with a vacuum cap on it as well...dunno if EGR could be the culprit here, but its the only thing i can think of that changed when i took the intake off

i've tried hooking all the EGR stuff back up but it still did it....is it possible the diaphragm in the valve is stuck open? would this even matter if everything was capped off?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

also..when i started the car for the first time after putting the intake back on...i had left the coolant hose unhooked from the TB...so some coolant got on the opti...its vented and it runs fine other than idle...so i pretty much ruled this out as a culprit
Old 06-27-2009, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

here's a link to camaroforums of the EXACT problem i'm having http://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11482
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol that's alot of also's you're just trying to get up your post count aren't you

Vacuum should read at least 15 if not 17 and yes you can put it on any vacuum port on the intake. I'd use the EGR one that you have capped.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

haha...nah....i'd rather get someone else's post count up...not getting any help on this though
Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

is it possible i could have done something to the fuel pressure regulator when I was moving the fuel rail/injectors harness around while getting the intake manifold out?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

got another peice of info that might be related to this...last night after a long drive, i pulled in to buy gas...when i took the gas cap off there was a loud, long hissing...more than normal..like excess pressure was built up in the fuel system...could this be caused by a faulty FPR? could it be related to my idle issue?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hawk40
got another peice of info that might be related to this...last night after a long drive, i pulled in to buy gas...when i took the gas cap off there was a loud, long hissing...more than normal..like excess pressure was built up in the fuel system...could this be caused by a faulty FPR? could it be related to my idle issue?
If I drive for a while and I get low on fuel, when I open the cap it's loud. And it's not pressure being built, it's vacuum.

Quick Reply: help me diagnose plz!