LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who's still going for the Bolt on only record?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Um, then you need to go back and do a little more research because you are *** backwards here, I was the first to commend Tom for all the work he put in, and the first of all the other guys bashing him to say we should give him the record but caveat it with the fact that he had a carb setup.

I have since put the mufffler back on and no there was no difference, and if it would pass noise requirements, no that shootout was held at Englishtown, they have strict noise requirements at that track only that not only would my car not pass with the mufflers on, but more then half the cars on here would pass it either. Who said I adamantly defended anything, I am just the keeper of junk, which meant I had that article laying around my house, I read it many times and had friends there competeing who are in that article. I was just good enough to scan it and host it on my web site, because other people wanted to see it...

BTW, not sure where this attack is coming from, but please get your facts, before spouting off, I have talked to Tom many times and I was never giving him crap, I did want to let eveyone know he got the record because and he used an out of the box GM intake and since it was a carb intake he switched to carb, we should just note that he had the carb. He then went out to shove it in the face of all those "OTHER" people, and put the EFI stuff back on, tuned it, and did even better, and if anything that just proved there was no advantage over the carb setup...
I didn't mean for that to come out as an attack on you. Looking back, I should have chosen my words more carefully. It can be difficult to convey tone and intent in text.

The magazine shootout and article was very interesting and I appreciate you going to the trouble of posting it, I just don't agree that it sets any rules other than for that particular competition on that day. I tried to find Tom's original post when he broke the record for the first time, but I haven't been able to locate it. I thought you were the one who dismissed his accomplishment to "honorable mention" because of his using a carb. I'll continue to look for the post and if I'm wrong, you will receive an apology in short order.

Really though, it is kind of funny that a carb and intake gets an asterisk and nobody meets the sound requirements that would have allowed them to compete in the magazine shootout. I'm not blaming you but it's a bit of a double standard.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3rdgen92maro

Thats all i can think of at the moment. Im sure im leaving some stuff out. Do you guys think i have a shot at 11s??

If you don't, set a match to it...lol
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

I just might have to if it doesn't...LOL BTW you still got that radiator? I need it for the bird.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

this a good thread to see what a lt1 bolt can do keep it up guys
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
I didn't mean for that to come out as an attack on you. Looking back, I should have chosen my words more carefully. It can be difficult to convey tone and intent in text.

The magazine shootout and article was very interesting and I appreciate you going to the trouble of posting it, I just don't agree that it sets any rules other than for that particular competition on that day. I tried to find Tom's original post when he broke the record for the first time, but I haven't been able to locate it. I thought you were the one who dismissed his accomplishment to "honorable mention" because of his using a carb. I'll continue to look for the post and if I'm wrong, you will receive an apology in short order.

Really though, it is kind of funny that a carb and intake gets an asterisk and nobody meets the sound requirements that would have allowed them to compete in the magazine shootout. I'm not blaming you but it's a bit of a double standard.
NP, and no need to apologize, because you are right, I might have mentioned giving him an honerable mention or something to that effect, but compared to all those that were down right telling him to kiss off I thought that was the most diplomatic post to make. I wanted to give him his props but the comunity was ready to linch him for switching to carb, so I was trying to post that he deserves credit, but if everyone else thought it is outside the rules I offered to just give it to him but put a note that it was a carb setup. But then again, I might have been a little bias'd too, since he just crushed a record I was trying to beat for over a year...

As for the rules the part of that article was not about that spesific shootout, but the rules around what was considered bolt-ons. The question always comes up what is considered bolt-ons, and no offense most of the guys asking now are young and never followed the mags and stuff when LTx motors were the big deal, so again I had the old mag and posted it up, to show what is considered bolt-ons. Also if you read the article closely you see a few guys had to add mufflers and stuff for that shootout, meaning when the records were set they we not running them...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade

Would headers through an open Y pipe have passed those noise requirements, or were you flexing the rules that you so adamantly defend?
Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I have since put the mufffler back on and no there was no difference, and if it would pass noise requirements, no that shootout was held at Englishtown, they have strict noise requirements at that track only that not only would my car not pass with the mufflers on, but more then half the cars on here would pass it either.

FWIW....If I recall the article says I had some sort of dual exhaust....eh, no. I had the Edelbrock shorties and y running into a flowmaster where the cat should have been, dumping after that. I passed the noise test, lol. Maybe more of the sound bounced out the sides and not straight back and the DB meter is what I'm guessing.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

i went 11.40's on a 150 shot when my car was just boltons and full weight, no reduction at all including a full sound system. i wish i could still compete but this is still fun to read
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Forget the bolt on record... who cares? Just my opinion
That's some very valuable input. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

I'm not a drag racer, but I find this to be much more interesting than all the cammed + head cars running nitrous etc. Nitrous just seems like cheating to me, but if you want to go really, really fast in the 1/4 mile, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Isn't 11.48 quite a bit faster than a lot of the heads & cam setups?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skinnies
bigt94z should be shooting for 11's with better weather also in my old formula and a 6 speed. He's going 12.2's so far, but has since pulled out some more weight and changed a few things.

Can I pull the cam out of the lt1 in the rx7 and play? LOL
thanks for the shout justin im after shon's m6 record personally mainly due to me being a m6. his altitude on that 11.8x pass was high 400's though and my local track is in the 700's. i believe in the fall i can dip in the 11's with the added gear ima throw in it. (currently rocking 4.11's) take a tad more weight out and i should be there! hell im still using stock power seats, stock a arms and spindels, stock brakes and ill be putting the speedinc power steering kit on. thats right power steering is coming back and its only 11ish lbs! the car ran hard this past friday when i went on a small cruise. i lost to a procharged 500whp cobra by 3 cars from a 35 roll that a buddy of mine owns

pulling the cam outta ur lt1 rx7 is just not fair. i could fart and ur car would prolly move 1 foot its so light '

-bigt94z
Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_T
pulling the cam outta ur lt1 rx7 is just not fair. i could fart and ur car would prolly move 1 foot its so light '

-bigt94z
I really did think about pulling it out to see what it would do, I think on motor it'd still go 11.0 on a motor tune up.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i just bought a lt1 last night and plane on going after this record..hard..im looking for 11.15s and the goal is 10.80s with alot of old dawg tricks and stuff
Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for me the bolt on record would be impossible to get close to due to my DA...I have done virtually all bolt ons minus the EWP and 106 is my fastest mph thats at 3000' bottom 13s..I experienced a catastrophic clutch failure after that! lol my clutch was TANERIZED!
I am more than positive i will get the fullweight 6spd car in the 12s up here sad fact is the other guys at good DA are deep in the 12s with my same mods..glad i have another car that i am willing to cut up
Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on going after the record since im working from the rear forward, we will see what happens. Although if I do hit it, Im not going to post times on here, Ill let whoever is at the top keep the title, just looking to see what I can do with what I have.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would like to bump this to see how you guys are doing =)

I want to start going for some low 12's with the T56 and very little weight reduction.

Got some good ideas so far, would like to see if anything new has developed.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Double post.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i stopped going after it about 2 mos back..i seen no point in spending 275$ for the carb intake that i was only going to use for a mo or so tops before i ended up switching intakes..not to mention i picked my holley strip dominator 300-25 intake for a 100$
Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I saw that whole carb vs EFI dispute, I'm just going to do mine the easy budget way and stay with what I've got.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

super old thread but just a lil update on my own junk.

i ran a best of 12.39 @ 108mph in october with the DA at about +800 to 1000 i have really run out of cash being in college but i still have a ton of mods to do and weight to cut. im thinking within the next 2 to 3 seasons i will have my 11.80 sec pass. its all just finances now
Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Dang Tony! still going after it or what?!? bad *** man i hope u can get it! i ended up stoppin at 11.91@111 i think it was... probably could have gotten down somewhere in the high 11.7 range without any major money for lightweight suspension and brakes and crap but just got to sadned looking at the 11.48 that had to be beat lol goodluck man!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

my car got sold to skinnies and then parted out. there is no doubt in my mind it would have went high 11's at 112ish in the fall but i wanted a bertter platform with a/c and heat. I'm going to see how far i can get with 3600lbs that's my update

Quick Reply: Who's still going for the Bolt on only record?