LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Introducing our 408 LT1 short block

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Over the last few years we've had our fair share of overly sensitive "rock stars" that have attempted to sell a product with absolutely no data who then A a huge deal out of a very simple request. If a vendor cannot supply data then I have no use for them and neither should anyone else. I have never bought an aftermarket component for any A that hasn't had published results.

if a sponsor did come on here wanting to sell an engine and posted a dyno graph from a reputable, independent shop and a timeslip they would have no problem selling an engine. People want to spend the $6000 and KNOW that they just bought a 500 RWHP engine without any doubt in their mind.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I will still agree that they should post a dyno to provide proof and increase the # of sells.

however, does ls1tech allow anyone to be a sponsor? i would hope they have some sort of qualification system.

This is not a random person claiming to make this power, its a sponsor.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...highlight=lane
You can e-mail me the graph @ ssteal96@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to host it, but it'd also be nice to get a time slip as well.

Over the last few years we've had our fair share of overly sensitive "rock stars" that have attempted to sell a product with absolutely no data who then make a huge deal out of a very simple request. If a vendor cannot supply data then I have no use for them and neither should anyone else. I have never bought an aftermarket component for any engine that hasn't had published results.
So you never had a chance yet to improve those times? That's a shame as I really would like to see what that thing has in it with the proper gearing and a good launch. The one calculator some use to estimate et from mph says it should run about 11 flat.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
Tough crowd.

I agree wholeheartedly. To the extent that all of our dyno graphs & track #'s are completely independent. The irony is that when you focus on substance (i.e. documented results, machining, tolerances, etc.), the naive and/or uncompetitive deride it as "marketing." Can't please everyone.

The man is selling a short-block. While there are definitely areas that highly experienced & skilled builders can conserve power, for the most part the top-end dictates how the engine will perform. If you have a known good builder, do what the man says, and buy the right components there is no reason you can't make 500+ with any displacement possible in an LT block. If these guys are selling an HKE short-block then you've every expectation that the only thing you need to worry about is your top-end.
Hahahahah I am tough too and I don't take people "word" usually either so I don't balame anyone.

Also as has been said as well by you a shortblock is only as good as what's on top of it.

Of course some shortblock will absolutely make more power out of the same top end since they are large or have better seal and less friction etc.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all comes down to proof, I am curious on how long that short will last and how much "power" its really up to make.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Damn I can't spell.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone should bring one to the next LTX Shootout and run the N/A class. Too many graphs and statistics on here and not enough heads-up racing.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Speed Density
It all comes down to proof, I am curious on how long that short will last and how much "power" its really up to make.
The first 408 LT1 that we did on Tech was 8 years ago and on CamaroZ28.com 10 years ago or so and both are still running here in Houston and one guy autocrosses it in the SCCA here.

How long anything lasts is totally dependent on a ton of variables. The 4.000 crank deal is NOT a power adder engine though. We have to rebuild 355s with 10K miles on them sometimes due to what was done to them.

The 396 with the 5.850 rod is as big as I go with power adders and it still has some piston top in it. Usually we stay 383 or less with a large power adder so we can use some good shelfs in that size.

Most 4 inch crank stuff doesn't work so well for reasons pertaining to piston design ala LS1 but most LTx people are too ignorant to know so they use a shelf piston and have issues.

I assume you know what I am talking about having been around the LT1 so long right?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Someone should bring one to the next LTX Shootout and run the N/A class. Too many graphs and statistics on here and not enough heads-up racing.
That would be cool but the LSx stuff we have runs in the 8s and the 23 degree will not go there under the rules due to heads. It would be nice to have a seperate LTx class though since the 23 degree stuff is not going to run with 11-15 degree LSx stuff. I think you'd see a few LTx cars then.

Keep in mind 10 per cent of the LTx people we deal with ever even go on the net. It's mostly the nerdier younger ones who rarely have faster cars anyway. That's just the truth. The people really doing it don't care about the internet much.

Remember BlancoSS was just trying to sell a shortblock that's all. Then the shitstorm started! Hahahahhaha. Oh well.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

To give you an example half the fast LTx guys in Houston are on jackstands at any one time due to much smaller engines that rely on power adders especially NOS so I would say an all motor big engine with a good top end will last much longer if you are trying haul ***.

Gotta go eat lunch and hopefully can post a few graphs as I have 2 more 500 RWHP examples I think now too and one from the old days like 7 years ago. Remember again not all of these people live on the net.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that it is really sad that every time a company comes on here and tries to bring hard core stuff to the LTX community they get blasted. Keep it up and the aftermarket will walk away.
Gizmo you have been around a while, how many times do we get bull **** companies in here trying to sell us **** that isnt what they claim?

Originally Posted by racer7088

How long anything lasts is totally dependent on a ton of variables. The 4.000 crank deal is NOT a power adder engine though. We have to rebuild 355s with 10K miles on them sometimes due to what was done to them.

The 396 with the 5.850 rod is as big as I go with power adders and it still has some piston top in it. Usually we stay 383 or less with a large power adder so we can use some good shelfs in that size.

Most 4 inch crank stuff doesn't work so well for reasons pertaining to piston design ala LS1 but most LTx people are too ignorant to know so they use a shelf piston and have issues.

I assume you know what I am talking about having been around the LT1 so long right?
Certainly, I had a 6.00 rod in my old 396 and junked it for a 5.850 that I have now. I understand the concepts and reality of the engine. I just dont see the aspect of going with the weebit extra stroke for the risk.

Remember BlancoSS was just trying to sell a shortblock that's all. Then the shitstorm started! Hahahahhaha. Oh well.
You should look into a new spokesperson for HKE
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Speed Density, your last comment to Erik is exactly the kind of thing that start fights in these threads.

Jason
Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...how many times do we get bull **** companies in here trying to sell us **** that isnt what they claim...
I feel that the verdict is still out on this one. It just strikes me that there have been a ton of harsh responses for a post that is only three days old. I think that the original poster started with good intent. I feel he was rewarded with a bunch of negative posts from people that don't have enough experience to be throwing stones.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but I would like to see the N/A side of this section step-up. It would be nice to see some mid/low 10 second passes in the heat at the next LTX Shootout.

No offence meant to any posters.

Daren
Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Certainly, I had a 6.00 rod in my old 396 and junked it for a 5.850 that I have now. I understand the concepts and reality of the engine. I just dont see the aspect of going with the weebit extra stroke for the risk.
I totally agree and do not do that much stroke with any power adder build as it is not worth it. Rings are just too cramped and too high to be safe. Ring lands are too weak unless tuning is perfect and you never see detonation which you always will at least a little on any PA engine it seems.

On motor only it is worth it for the extra cubes and a good 1.000 tall piston works just great. I use a fairly tight ringstack and thinner rings like more modern stuff not 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 so there is still a good amount of room for the ring lands and the skirt in the LT1 bore at TDC and BDC.

I ened up with less rotating drag than a normal 355 by a good amount.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find that it is really sad that every time a company comes on here and tries to bring hard core stuff to the LTX community they get blasted. Keep it up and the aftermarket will walk away.
Agreed. I could understand if it was from a random user with 5 posts but HKE has been doing this **** for ages - before a good majority of us(like myself) even had LT1s.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but I would like to see the N/A side of this section step-up. It would be nice to see some mid/low 10 second passes in the heat at the next LTX Shootout.
No promises of course, but I have a goal to run mid-high 10s all motor with a 23* HR setup, without gutting it. It hasn't been cheap and it won't be easy, but I am well on my way...and very stubborn .

Its already a year in the works thanks to an unexpected decrease in my "play" money, but is nearing completion. We'll see how everything stands for the next shootout.

Erik, I don't think it gets said enough to you guys but thanks to you and all the other shops for still doing things for the LT1 community. I don't know how many people here have tried lately, but its getting to be a major PITA finding a good shop that will even look at LTXs. I had a shop point blank email me that they won't touch an LTX anymore, but will only do SBCs and LSX stuff. That just makes me want to build mine even more .

PS: Multi-quoting is a bitch from a blackberry.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

You should look into a new spokesperson for HKE

I am perfectly fine with Chris as he just speaks for himself and only got a little enthusiastic by posting a power number in a shortblock thread. He is a good guy and I think he knows it's better to leave out any power numbers now when a short block is not enough info to make any power prediction.

The LTx deals we have done the entire longblock or engine on have made really good power when the customer wanted that but sometimes they get an engine like this and put small heads and cam with it and keep stock gears and coverter etc. because they just want more off idle grunt and tq even if they only make 375 at the wheels.

Other guys are going to put big heads and a big cam and make much more and will need a 5000 stall convert and 4.56 gears etc. and will not give a damn about street manners or surging since with a 5K converter it doesn't matter anyway. Then some will do a SR deal with race gas and make even more and turn more rpm and so on and so on.

We have both kinds and they still always want a bigger engine no matter what so we gave it to them and they have worked out great.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Puck
Erik, I don't think it gets said enough to you guys but thanks to you and all the other shops for still doing things for the LT1 community. I don't know how many people here have tried lately, but its getting to be a major PITA finding a good shop that will even look at LTXs. I had a shop point blank email me that they won't touch an LTX anymore, but will only do SBCs and LSX stuff. That just makes me want to build mine even more .

PS: Multi-quoting is a bitch from a blackberry.
No problem Puck as I will still do LTx stuff no matter how many LS1s we have here! I still like them since like you said people think they can't run and when they do they are amazed like it's magic or something from outer space!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
So you never had a chance yet to improve those times? That's a shame as I really would like to see what that thing has in it with the proper gearing and a good launch. The one calculator some use to estimate et from mph says it should run about 11 flat.
I don't live in a fantasy world and don't believe an 11 flat would happen in a M6 with the susp. I am running at my race weight. You have followed my build faithfully. Don't tell me you are stupid enough to believe that is possible...
As far as changing up gears:

Just returned from the garage. Diff. will be going to the shop Monday.
Besides all this and your lame effort to deflect I am not a shop or a sponsor and am not selling a product for profit. I am not simple minded enough to believe whatever claim I read and blindly follow it to the death. I like to see results. If that offends said claimer then that sounds like a personal problem.
Once again, since you always seem to mouth off even when you don't have all the facts, or at least refuse to understand them- I never stated this could not be done. I just want to see results.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

Keep in mind 10 per cent of the LTx people we deal with ever even go on the net. It's mostly the nerdier younger ones who rarely have faster cars anyway. That's just the truth. The people really doing it don't care about the internet much.
Why don't you line some of these people up who never get online then and lets do something?

If I was in the market for 500rwhp motor...first off I wouldn't be shopping by rwhp numbers b/c that is stupid. Second I would want to be 1 on 1 with my builder so we are always on the same page.... I would never order some bs thrown together pos from someone I never heard of.

What power has it seen on the engine dyno?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

mdacton,

I've done so many of these but again it's hard to tell. The last LT1 we actually had on an engine dyno made a little over 700 but it had a carb on it and was a 396 built for NOS. It was in Camaro performers or Super Chevy last year but I don't remember really.

Also I thought I asked you but the board flaked out on me. How fast have you gone already? Mid 9's or mid 10s or mid 11s? Just wondering? No one I know would go up to Va to race anyone for no reason! I'm not a race promoter. We just build engines.

I don't advertise at all so you've probably never heard of me and the shops I build engines for don't always say where they came from. I have 7 guys working here and nearly 60-80 engines backed up all the time yet again I do not advertise or even have a banner. That should tell you something if you think about it.

Did you go to the pump gas drags up there? We did some shortblocks and engines in that and one of them won the whole show including most legit street car Ashley Gable and Wayne Gopshies and the Hot Rod Pump Gas Drags overall winner Steve Reinhard aka Shiznity on here. I don't talk about them as much as I'd like because I see that as what THEY DID not us.

We have a huge amount of guys racing in different classes maybe more than nearly anyone on this board but I don't put them all on my website because I see that as THEIR accomplishments not mine. If I even listed all the 7, 8, 9, and even 10 second small block deals we have done including whole engines or longblocks or shortblocks for it would go like 10 pages. I just helped them.

You are taking a shortblock thread WAY too seriously like this 408 is somehow threatening you? Again how fast is that car of yours?

Quick Reply: Introducing our 408 LT1 short block